“Great Vacation!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Xaman-Ha Mza 9 y 10 Lote 1 Int.Fracc. | Fase II Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #39 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Vacation!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here for seven days. Had a wonderful and relaxing time.
Food at the restaurants was a bit disappointing. We tried the steak house (Chili's), Japenese (Yashima), and Brazilian (Botafogo) and preferred the buffet to all three.
Be sure to claim a pool chair early if you want to lay in the sun.
Room was perfect, with a beautiful view.
Staff was all very friendly and accommodating.
Be sure to take the 20 minute walk to 5th Avenue for some great souvenirs.
Would stay again!

3,190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Polish first
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I should preface this review by saying this was our third stay at this resort and it didn't disappoint. We stayed the 1st week in March and the weather during the day was wonderful, but a little cool at night. Other years we have much preferred eating at the sit down restaurants, but this year we actually preferred the buffet. The food and the variety were awesome. During the day there is always something to do or if you want, you can just find a cozy spot and let someone wait on you. It seems there is always someone nearby ready to freshen your drink.

Location of this place is one of the reasons we always pick it. The beach is fantastic, If you want to walk into Playa Del Carmen it's a 20 minute leisurely stroll either on the beach or on the shaded sidewalk.We tried them both and even encountered an Iguana near one of the small Mayan Ruins site you pass on the sidewalk.
That said Riu Palace Riviera Maya is starting to show it's age. One day we took a walk over to recently renovated Riu Palace Mexico and were quite impressed. We will probably try it next time.

Would like to give a huge shout and thank you for the great service we received from the entire staff when because of a medical emergency we were forced to leave early. Also would like to say thanks to Rosario for doing such a great job of treating us truly as guests in his home..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seabrook, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our group of 3 couples stayed at the Riu Place Riviera Maya from Feb. 28 to March 5, 2013. We each booked early and got to stay in the Jr. Suites with jacuzzis on the third floor in the turrets of the hotel. The room's decorations, space, cleanliness, nightly surprised treats, along with the two decks were spectacular. This resort's service, food, beach, pool area, wonderful first rate shows every night, great entertainment and lobby staff was exemplary. Plenty of beach chairs, space by the pool, activities to partake in (and we did many), variety of delicious ever flowing drinks made at the bar,or served by hard working waiters, beach grilled lunches, many restaurants to choose from (all delicious!), were all ammenties that made our trip enjoyable. The guests were of all ages, friendly, and from many countries. We have stayed at many island resorts and this Riu Palace was first class. We loved the kitchen tour, felt safe walking to the other Riu resorts and shops, and enjoyed excursions to Tulum and 5th Avenue to shop. Don't hesitate to book this resort. You will enjoy every minute of your vacation.

Room Tip: Jr. Jacuzzi suites on the inside overloolking the pool area is spectacular.
Merida, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

No more, no less. All you can have with a 5* caribbean all inclusive. Spotless gardens, instalations and layout. Never a line in the buffet (despite they have 98% ocupancy) or the bars.
Good service at the pool, never got thisrty. Few "special shows" after dinner, compared with the old Riu Palace Mexico, only a couple of good mexican bands and singers. Nothing special the crew, can´t remember any of them. Few "special" nights like "casino" or "mexican" nights like the old Riu Palace Mexico. I tried brazzilian, steak house and fussion "specials" restaurants, only remarcable the lamb at the fussion. Dissapointed at the brazzilian.
Enough space at the pool, also at the lobby bar. Some of the animation team may be so "pushhy" with the "Come on with us to the disco tonight....".
I had a wonderfull time, just do not keep yourself in the resort (it's a 6 hotels complex you have access to all services), go outside.
Also you can go to Cancun (by yourself) and visit, eat, drink and enjoy the other 5 hotels there.

Room Tip: - If you are a "light sleeper" stay away from gardens rooms - If you are a "party&qu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was nervous after reading some of the reviews here for this resort but I never had any of the problems some people had. We had just a basic room but upon learning it was our honeymoon they upgraded us to an ocean view. Our room was very roomy and it was always very clean. We never had any noise complaints and we were near an exit by the pool. Everyone of the staff went above and beyond to make sure we were completely satisfied with our stay.
I love that there was a swim up bar in the pool which also had several tables you could sit at as well. The bartenders at all the different bars at this hotel made excellent drinks and there was never a wait. The nightly shows were very entertaining and the entertainment staff could be found during the day mingling with all of the guests.
We have never been to an all inclusive resort before. I loved being able to call room service at anytime and get anything sent to us at no additional charge! When ordering a bottle of champagne around 1am they arrived in less then 5 minutes. I will say that because my husband spoke Spanish it was very convenient when communicating with some of the staff around the resort however, I do not speak Spanish and had no trouble at all. In case you are looking to stay at any other Riu in this huge gated compound remember that If you stay at the Riu palace you can eat and drink at any of the Riu's free of charge.
Also one tip is to pack your own sunscreen, and aloe (bug spray as well if you go to any of the mayan ruins). The prices for these basic items started at $15 for a tiny bottle.

• Stayed May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We came to this hotel as part of a destination wedding so I had no part in the planning process. We were just told to be there on specific dates.
Clearing customs - after waiting on a really long line to check into the country, our bags were x-rayed and once that was done, we were asked to press a button, if the light was green, we were done. If it turned read we would have our bags searched. A totally random process.
I booked my trip on line through the hotel (I had compared prices across all the travel sites and they were all the same.) I also booked my transportation from the airport at the same time.
What I wish I knew:
Upon arriving in Cancun someone quickly latched on to us and I thought he was taking us to the transportation service - instead he guided us to the blue desks (skip these!) and still we thought we were learning about our transportation to the resort. Instead they just wanted to sell us excursions.
The system for transport is seemingly chaotic, but not if you know what to look for. We didn't. Our travel companions had booked through Apple vacations and their placard was easy enough to find. You MUST have your travel voucher with you. I didn't look at the fine print which showed the company we were booked with (HotelBeds) and I had to ask at least ten people before someone actually helped me. VERY frustrating. We were led to the side and told to wait. What I wish I knew: all transport vans are shared so we had to wait until everyone scheduled in our van showed up and then we stopped at resorts all along the way. The Riu is an hour from the airport.
Everything calmed down once we arrived. The hotel is spectacular. We were offered fresh juice upon check in. Everyone was very friendly.
I was with my 18 year old son (a friend of someone in the wedding party) and we were there first week of March - typical spring break week. The crowd at this resort was all 50+, with a hand full of 20 somethings and a few more with babies. No kids. There is no club at this hotel, or maybe because it's rather expensive, but this is not a family destination. I was glad my 15 year old son wasn't with us - he would have been bored.
The hotel is quiet and the beds fairly comfortable - a little hard. I wished I had brought my own pillow. There is a choice of four liquors in the room on tap (rum, vodka, etc) and the refrigerator is replenished often with lots of water, beer and soda.
Wifi is available in the room, but it's best in the lobby which is huge and a very comfortable place to hang out.
The food was excellent - only my second time at an all inclusive, but I know enough to appreciate that most of the food was cooked fresh to order. The long buffets had mostly cold stuff: cheeses, salads, fruits. The hot stuff was at different stations where the chef made it while you waited or only made a few at a time and put them in a serving dish. Pasta bar, panini bar, egg bar at breakfast, usually some sort of fresh seafood. We ate in the main dining room nightly instead of making reservations at one of the ala cartes. The guacamole is amazing.
We mostly ate lunch at Chilis down by the beach since it was more casual.
The beach is beautiful and there are plenty of lounge chairs either under a grove of palm trees (to avoid the sun) or on the beach. The only thing you had to get up early to place your towel on was a chair by the pool. The pool is large but not huge so space is somewhat limited. There is no outdoor hot tub - it's located through the spa.
There is an activity team to provide a little (and I mean little) entertainment - again, it's an older crowd. I took the stretch class on the beach and I was disappointed that it was only 15 minutes and that at 51 I was the youngest in the class by a long shot. I only did it once.
The spa is adequate. I wouldn't do a facial there, but I did have three massages and they were reasonably priced ($86 for 50 minutes) so it was worth it. I had no problem scheduling appointments for when I wanted them.
The fitness center is also decent. Lots of machines, free weights. Air conditioned.
The Riu Palace is the nicest hotel on this strip of the beach and we had reciprocals with the other Riu's nearby. We could have breakfast and lunch at any of the others, but the reverse was not true. The wedding party spent several nights at the the club at another Riu a short walk away.
We did walk into Playa del Carmen one day for a few hours. They have everything there from McDonalds and Tommy Hilfiger to stalls with Mexican stuff. I don't enjoy the haggling process so it was tiresome fast for me. It was an easy walk back on the beach.
It was the only time I left the resort. I was there really to be with my son and do nothing. Lay on the beach and read. It's a fabulous place to do nothing.
There are excursions offered and there are plenty of companies represented in the lobby daily to help you, but ask because many of the excursions were 8-12 hour affairs. I wasn't interested in spending that much time driving.

Room Tip: I thought we had the perfect room 1103. We were on the same floor as the lobby (middle floor), close...
Gardner, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Riu Palace was absolutely beautiful. The view was outstanding. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The food presentation was amazing and delicious. All inclusive and well worth the money. I would love to go back to this Riu in the near future,

Room Tip: choose a room overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!