“Phenomenal pizza!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Prague, Czech Republic
“Phenomenal pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We were feeling lazy and didn't want to go anywhere to eat. I knew Don Chendo does delivery, and I've heard good things about their pizza so we decided to try it out. We were definitely not disappointed! They're a bit higher priced, but their quality is really good. Delivery service was fantastic as well. It's some of the best pizza I've had anywhere in the world.

Visited July 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Chicago Deep Dish Pizza in Playa? Yep.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We usually go for thin crust pizza (and there's plenty of that in Playa), but decided to try this out for a change. Good choice! The menu has a good selection of pizza with typical Chicago style toppings, as well as pasta dishes, antipastos and salads. We had the Caesar salad, which was just the right combination romaine, dressing and croutons. No anchovies, but a nice tangy dressing. The pizza was the star, though -- a nice flaky pie crust which was just thick enough to hold up to the stacked toppings, without being doughy. It's topped with "Chendo Sauce" which is their home made chunky tomato sauce. Delicious! The owner, Russell (or Chendo) stopped by and chatted with us for a while, as well. Nice personal touch! We're definitely going back!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Forest Park, il
“the BEST deep dish in Playa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My wife and I live in the Chicago area. We are huge deep dish pizza fans. We have Lou Malnatis at least once a week. We love Chicago style pizza. We also spend 3 months each year in Playa Del Carmen.

This year were glad to see that someone had a true "Chicago- style" pizza in Playa. We had to try it and we headed to Don Chendo as soon as we arrived in Playa in Jan, 2014. I am pleased to say that we were not disappointed! The pizza at Don Chendo was unbelievable. I hate to say this ( but Russell will like to hear it) but the pizza at Don Chendo is equal to or better than our favorite, Lou Malnatis. We ended up going there at least once a week for the 3 months we were in Playa. We also brought many of our friends there as well.

It took a couple of months for me to actually try something else on the menu because the pizza was so damn good. I finally tried the meatballs. Wow! Never had meatballs like that before.

The food is great and the service stands on it's own. Jimmy the waiter, and Veronica the hostess, are two special people. Always friendly and always attentive. You will not have better service at any place in Playa.

We really enjoyed every meal that we had there. Russell would always come out and talk with us and we got a chance to experience some great food. It's nice to see an owner actually take the time to visit with his customers.

If you like deep dish pizza or great Italian food, head to Don Chendo!

Russel ....we'll see you in Jan and hope that you and your family are doing well! Hope the parsley and thyme plants that Sue gave you are doing well.

Tom & Sue

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Claremore, Oklahoma
“Very good and affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Wife and ate here one evening. She had the spaghetti and meatballs while I had rigatoni both were very good. Service was very attentive. Prices were very reasonable espesially compared to restaurants on or near 5th. Not fancy but good food at good price.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cheverly, Maryland
“Fine Italian cuisine and excellent service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I was introduced to Russell at his previous restaurant so was anxious to try Don Chendo. OMG! Were we delighted!?! Fine cuisine and excellent service. (The hostess even chased off a vendor trying to get our attention.)
First, I got to enjoy some leftover shrimp on angel hair with garlic and parmesan that my friend brought home. Delicious the next day!
A few days later we ate there with friends. I got to try Don Chendo's vinaigrette on the house salad (tasty without being too vinegary), the shrimp angel hair (again), spaghetti with meatballs (no joke), Spinach, Sautéed in Olive Oil and Caramelized Garlic (a personal favorite), and ordered the famous "Love" pizza (Pear, rosemary pesto, mozzarella and Gorgonzola cheeses, and toasted walnuts). The pears were sweet and sliced very thin; the crust medium and perfect. Such an unusual, delightful pie.
I also recommend the mint and chlorophyll drink. Very nice!
The restaurant is on a heavily traveled road and is a smallish space, so don't overlook it. (Red awning and red plaid table covers.)
My only disappointment was that they only offer one dessert, which is an awesome fudge brownie a la mode. I would have liked a cannolli instead. :)
Can hardly wait for my next visit to Playa just for Don Chendo.

• Visited January 2014