“Family Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

You added Fairmont Mayakoba to your Saves list
Fairmont Mayakoba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal Cancun, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #30 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“Family Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Came for the second time this year for 5 days following Thanksgiving, as we did last year. Our group included daughter, son- in-law, and their young 'uns: 2 1/2 and 7 months. That Monday, facility seemed like 30% full; from what we heard, it was packed for Thanksgiving and difficult to get into on site dining. Hardly the case for us. Check-in a problem. Reservations had been made in August with it clear this was a family holiday ( my son and his family were to come also, but a work conflict interceded). We said then that we wanted rooms close and what they had for us were on opposite sides of vast grounds. Situation resolved, however.
The hotel staff, without exception, defines graciousness and service. The accommodations wonderful. A perfect place (our bump notwithstanding) for a family gathering. Very, very child friendly and accommodating yet for adults without little ones, their presence not distracting. Dining, particularly breakfast, fine....except the restaurant by the beach was quite over priced. Dining at nearby hotels an option, as is a visit to Playa del Carmen, 30 minutes south. Beach beautiful and golf course amazing and final stop on PGA tour. Many pools. Facilities pristine and setting beautiful and created in environmentally sensitive manner.

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach are quasi-isolated but offer obvious pluses of being on the Gulf. Some have thei...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Fairmont M, Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Robert S,

Thank you for your precerence, and for taking the time to share your experience and provide us with feedback. I would like to note that our Food and Beverage team is constantly working on new menus to offer more options to our guests.

Hopefully your travels bring you once again to this part of the world; it would be our pleasure to welcome you and your family again.

Sven Richter
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Golden, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We had the lovely experience of spending a week here, 5 nights with a corporate group of over 250 and 2 nights on our own. Customer service was exceptional, all staff I encountered was friendly and helpful. Our first night we enjoyed dinner at El Puerto, our dinner was quite good, though expensive. With our group we enjoyed dinners at MK Blue at the Banyan Tree, Rosewood on the beach,& on the Isla Lawn. With such a large group the service & food was very well done, kudos! La Laguna was wonderful for breakfast, sometimes a bit of a wait, but with the resort being full that was to be expected. Breakfast buffet was very diverse, bland scrambled eggs so I'd stick to the omelette bar. Eggs Benedict was very good and relatively inexpensive.
Las Brisas for lunch was excellent, didn't make it there for dinner though. Room service was great, they said 45 minute for delivery and it made it there in 40. :) When it did, our server set up the table perfectly, a lovely private dining room.

We were fortunate enough to have a 2nd floor room overlooking the canal which was very private & relaxing. It was cool to watch the resident iguana across the way sunning herself daily, many different birds singing in the trees, squirrels jumping from tree to tree, the turtle that swam by regularly, many fish and even a crocodile swam by. We even had a Coati come visit us, was very cute to see him peek over the roof while we sat on the balcony.

The selection of pools are great, didn't make it to all of them, but the adult one at the back was the best, great to overlook the 'lake', though not as quiet as I thought it would be as you could hear a lot from the diners at La Laguna.

The grounds are exceptionally well kept, there is a lot to do and we didn't get anywhere near all of it done. Would have liked to do the nature trail but we had a lot of other group functions and didn't have time. The massage at the spa was wonderful, though we didn't take in all the spa offered.

I didn't give it top rating only because I want to see and hear the ocean from my room, that is just not possible at this resort unless you can afford the beach casitas, I can't! The beach is quite narrow at this resort but still beautiful white sand & I enjoyed a fantastic long 4 km walk along it. It is such a long way to the beach, biking or taking the carts is the best way to get there.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal room if you want to see anything other than jungle.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Jessica R,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regards to your recent stay with us at Fairmont Mayakoba. Reading your review made me smile and remember what a beautiful property the resort is and how gracious the service provided by our colleagues is. And our bathrooms, definitely my favorites too!
We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We recently spent 5 nights at the resort. It was truly outstanding. The room was spacious with a wonderful soaking tub an separate shower. Every staff member, regardless of funtion, was gracious and helpful. There is clearly a "customer service culture" at this property. The pools were great and the three restaurants on property were very good too. The location is convenient to wonderful golf (right on the resort grounds) and it was a very quick cab ride to Play del Carmen. All I can say is that it's not inexpensive but to me it was well worth the extra cost.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Jeff K,
We’re always happy when someone chooses to stay at our hotel, and even more when those visits are turn into lifetime memories for our guests.
Thank you for all your compliments on the rooms, food and golf facilities, but most of all for recognizing the service provided by our colleagues. It is testimonies such as yours that continue inspiring to proving the best spoke service that Fairmont Mayakoba is well known for.
We look forward to welcome you back.
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

What a beautiful hotel! The staff were wonderful, the gounds are beautiful and our room was beautiful. The food was good but expensive. The spa was very pretty. I wish they were more informative though. It is isolated, but that is what makes it unique.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kathi N,
Thank you for your comments; it is lovely to know that you had a wonderful time at Fairmont Mayakoba. We look forward to welcome you back to the beautiful Mexican Caribbean.
Regards,
Golden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Spent a week there Dec 5th to 12th, very nice property, well kept, pools exceptionally clean, staff amazing. We were on a company sponsored trip with about 200 in the group, had several dinners and the service was second to none even with such a larger group to serve. We had a room on the canal, pretty cool to watch all the fish, birds and even a crocodile swim by. Service at the adult pool was very slow even though the place was almost deserted, guy brought me a menu and disappeared, not the end of the world, I just walked over to the La Laguna restaurant 100 feet away and had lunch. The quisedias were huge and very tasty! Eggs Benny for breakfast at 14.00 was great too, better and much more hollandaise sauce than most Canadian restaurants. We used USA Transfers from the airport and were very pleased with the service, will write a review for them in another post. I was a little disappointed that it was so far to the beach, you should take a golf cart or bike if it's really hot out. The boat tour (free) of the entire canal and lagoon was great and informative, guide was excellent, pointed out the many species of birds, reptiles and even got up close to an 8 ft croc for pictures. The only reason I would probably stay elsewhere is we prefer an ocean view room and although they do offer oceanfront casitas I was told they are extremely expensive.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for room overlooking the canal as some rooms are jungle view only!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear dantanman,
Thank you for considering Fairmont Mayakoba a wonderful property, it was a pleasure to read your review, particularly where you mention the service received is second to none as it is a great recognition to our staff who always strive to turn moments into memories for all our guests (including group guests such as you).
Thank you also for your compliments on the food and the boat tour; it is indeed one of the highlights of the property, thank you for recommending it to other guests.
We look forward to say “bienvenido” to you again on your next visit to Mexico.
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

My fiance` and I just stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba over Thanksgiving for a wedding. When we first arrived, we were treated like royalty, but as the days passed, the quality of service went down very quickly. The last day we were there was by far the worst. I waited 15 minutes to get towels because the person working the station appeared to be working a side deal with one of the guests and ignored me. When he finally finished speaking with her, he walked away even though he had seen me standing there. Then they ran out of strawberry mix for a Miami Vice I ordered; they brought some kind of Kahlua drink, but instead of giving it to us on the house, they still charged us. Dinner at La Laguna was by far the worst part of our trip along with friends of ours. We had 6:45 reservations and waited an HOUR before anyone took our drink orders. There were two kids (3 and 5) that were getting cranky from being hungry; one of the kids actually fell asleep without dinner. It took another half hour to get our orders. Since we were all staying in separate rooms and were a large party, we told the waiter our room numbers prior to ordering. It took another 30 minutes for our food to come out. By this time, another waiter was coming by to check on us. He apologized and offered shots to us - we all assumed it was on the house since we were waiting so long - WRONG. He suggested top shelf tequila and charged us for it. THEN, he came back and asked us several questions about which guests ordered what and what rooms he should charge it to when we made sure to take care of that 2.5 hours ago.

When we got back home, I emailed corporate about the experience wanting some reassurance that the issues would be addressed. I also emailed them because my fiance` and I were considering getting married at the Fairmont in Maui, but that last day left a sour taste in our mouths, as well as our friends (who would also be coming to our wedding). None of us mind paying 5 star money for accommodations as long as we are getting 5 star treatment throughout the entire stay. We all felt that after our friends' wedding took place, the staff knew we would be checking out soon and paid less attention to detail with our group (who brought in a ridiculous amount of money for the resort). That sentiment has only been solidified with the fact that it's been 2 weeks since I sent the email to corporate with no response.

It is really a shame because had there been 5 star treatment through and through and a follow-up, we would all definitely not only go back to Fairmont Mayakoba, we'd also get married at one in Maui.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Mae H,
We thank you for your feedback as it is only by welcoming the comments of our guests that we can improve. Please receive my sincere apologies for not getting back to you on a timely manner. The service experience you described comes to a surprise to me and therefore I am conducting an internal investigation; I will be contacting you directly as to address all of your concerns.
Regards,
Sunny Isles Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We recently stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba. We are extremely disappointed with the quality of the accommodations. Fairmont has a name and this resort definitely is not up to standards. The areas were nice, nothing special, the restaurants were ok. Although it is not the "prime resort" it is supposed to be, I would have been ok with it, except that the ROOM, which is the most important place (as you SLEEP there) was horrible. I have allergic asthma and I requested the hotel at the time of reservation to make sure that there is was no humidity or mold and that the air conditioning of the room where I would be staying had to be perfect, as I reacted very negatively to spores. I even reiterated this to the front desk at check in and they told me that they selected a room which was personally checked by the manager to make sure it was to my satisfaction and acknowledged they had my special request. Oh surprise, the moment we walked in, although a/c was on, the humidity made the room stink. I told them it was not acceptable, but they had no other accommodations available. They sent someone to "clean the room again" as I also found dust on the desk and the nightstands and the offered a dehumidifier. They brought a small dehumidifier that was noisy and getting rusty! The dehumidified did absorb some of the water in the room (we were emptying the container every 6 to 8 hours in the shower because it filled up with water). Although the room felt somewhat dry and cool, the temperature in the bathroom was different because the ac vents were not open and they were very narrow. To make it short, from night 1, I started having a sore throat which continued throughout my stay, tried to get the medication that I could, including taking inhalers, etc., but nothing work, because the "allergens" were there! I returned home with asthma related bronchitis which has kept me out of commission for 2 weeks. My partner, who is not allergic to anything also developed eye irritation that first night, and this irritation turned into an eye and respiratory infection. Obviously the spores in the air conditioning vents were there and the hurt us very badly. How can they call this a 5 Star hotel. this is amazing. It is a shame because Mayakoba is a beautiful place. We visited the other hotels, and the only one that seemed to standard was the Banyan Tree (but was also totally booked so we couldn't go anywhere). We went to a wedding and the trip turned into a nightmare because of the substandard accommodations at the Fairmont Mayakoba.

Room Tip: Have no comments. Make sure there is no mold or humidity.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear RMiamiSun18,
First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay was at Fairmont Mayakoba. I’ve been informed that all precautions were taken into consideration before your arrival based on the information you provided at the time of booking.
The safety and comfort of our guests is a top priority; I’ve been informed that you are already in communication with my team, and so I will follow up internally.
If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I would be happy to make your reservation and room assignment personally so that your future stay is a seamless one.
Cordially,
Director of Public Relations

Been to Fairmont Mayakoba? Share your experiences!