“Best in Mayan Riviera” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Mayakoba

You added Fairmont Mayakoba to your Saves list
Fairmont Mayakoba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal Cancun, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #44 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Best in Mayan Riviera”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful jewel in the heart if the Mayan Riviera. This was out 4th visit and we plan in returning this fall.
The grounds are spectacular, they really care about the property which is impeccably well kept.
The rooms are big and very comfortable. The casitas are quite special, we prefer the golf course view. Bathrooms are bright and spacious. I personally love the deep bath tubs as I can relax after a day in the beach and before dinner.
Food is top quality, fresh an delicious. Las Brisas is quite spectacular and their tasting menus are wonderful. The Spa is an experience itself that we use every time we visit, a couples retreat on your own spa suite is "sweet".
Service is friendly and discrete. Employees seem happy and friendly, always willing to tend to your every need.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear EGHMX,
Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us at Fairmont Mayakoba. I also would like to say “gracias” for your loyalty and preference over the years and for the many compliments on the resort, the green practices and especially your comments on the staff. We strive to provide a friendly working environment and are pleased to know that it reflects on the guest experience.

We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit planned for the fall. If I can be of any assistance, do not hesitate to contact my office.

Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We went to this resort because my husband was there for a corporate meeting, and we extended on both ends. It was his 3rd trip here, but my first.

First, the resort is absolutely gorgeous. The landscape is amazing, and the short walks from our room to the lobby, pool or transportation were very enjoyable, even the one day we had rain. The transportation staff was very friendly and helpful. Our casita was amazingly lush, and the butler (who I never saw once), kept it immaculate and completely stocked.
The way the pool wanders through the property, creating smaller, interconnected areas is beautiful and makes a huge pool feel more private. The beach area is pretty, very well groomed and fairly private with natural land juts on either end.
The spa was lovely. Fairly pricy services, but nothing out of line for an upscale resort.
I was glad I read up on the resort on tripadvisor.com before I went - we joined the Fairmont President's club (free) before we went so had complimentary wireless internet plus 10% off on the spa - thanks for the advice!
Great food from beach, pool or room service - probably some of the best we had on our trip - glad we didn't waste more time in the restaurants!

But...
-The banquet food was dreadful. Golden Corral would have a better buffet.
-We were on the food & beverage plan, but they couldn't seem to figure out what was and wasn't included. The menus have a little sun logo by the items that are not included, but we'd order off of the 'included' items on the menu, only to have a manager come apologize to us because it wasn't included. At least, not in the lobby bar, but when we went downstairs to dinner, it was included. But it's not in La Laguna...but is at the pool...but not at the beach...you get the idea. I'm not sure if it's lack of training or just inconsistency, but it was embarrassing and irritating. When I asked at the front desk, they gave me a list and told me to have the waiter/manager call them each time.
-AAA 4-star restaurants? The food was good, some of it very good. The service was awful. Really awful. And I'm not just talking about slow service and being served cold food, I'd have to ask at least 3 times just to have my water refilled. Poor. I sincerely believe that once they saw we were on the inclusive plan (gratuities are also included, though there is an option for additional), they wrote us off.
-Our group was about 70% occupancy for the hotel. One night, they closed Las Brisas, one of the 3 dining options at the resort, leaving just El Porto and La Laguna as options. El Porto didn't have enough room to serve most of the group, so we wound up at La Laguna for dinner. They HAVE a dinner menu. Our table asked to order from the menu, but we were told the only option was the buffet. The buffet was awful. Then, when we were walking out, we stopped to talk with another table from our group - they had ordered and were served off the menu!
-Bogus charges - Watch out! In the 6 nights we spent in the hotel, I made 3 separate trips to the front desk to check on our folio. Each trip, we wound up being credited at least $100 because of inaccurate charges.
-Short pours - We debated back and forth about how weak the drinks were. The last evening I finally ordered a cosmo, and was charged 2x vodka + 1 contreau (over $20) for the one drink. So, yes, they are serving weak drinks. Ours were 'included" (read: prepaid), but if I was paying by the drink, I would feel taken advantage of.
-There were no towels at the beach on 3 of the 5 days we were there, and probably 1/3 of the (cheap) chairs on the beach were broken. Beach service was very slow, just because of numbers, but they were very friendly and trying hard - we learned to just order 2 drinks at a time!
-The pool bar...sigh... The pool bar closes at 5:30. Period. Doesn't matter how many people are there or how many extra servers they've had to get to come help until that minute. And I don't mean 'last call' at 5:30 - they have all the bottles packed up and everything locked up by then. Even Motel 6 leaves the light on for you! Our group's last night, there were easily 150 people out in the pool area (with nowhere to go eat - see above!), and they still wouldn't make any accommodation. I was flabbergasted at the lack of effort, particularly such an upscale resort in such a laid-back area of the world. Another victim of the Fairmont's "inclusive" rate, maybe?
-We did go into Playa one day, just to buy t-shirts and stuff for the kids - I'd read there was a shuttle, but the front desk said not. Just be prepared, it's a $25 cab ride each way.

Although this is not a resort I would choose to return to, I probably will go back, but only because my husband has an annual meeting there. I just will go with far lower expectations. Not at all what I would expect of a Fairmont.

Room Tip: Make sure your room's balcony doesn't overlook the path - rooms in the 200's and 300'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Vamanos7571,
First, I want to thank you for your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is by the comments of our guests that we can make improvements.
We strive to deliver an exceptional guest experience for every single visitor, no matter if they are traveling for business or pleasure; therefore your review took me by surprise. Your feedback has been shared with the departments involved, as we recognized there were some challenges during the groups program.
I hope that the next time that your husband attends his meeting you give us a chance to earn back your trust, and for that I ask you to contact my office in advance so that I can personally and make the arrangements for you to enjoy the experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We just spent a fabulous week with out 2 sons aged 7 and 10 years at this stellar Fairmont. Staff and foor were amazing and the canals, beach and pools and food were all fantastic. Worth the price! We have stayed at many Fairmonts and this was the best so far.

Room Tip: Join Presidents Club! They have many perks and upgrades!
Dear kaaaaaren,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us at Fairmont Mayakoba. Be considered the best Fairmont hotel you have stayed at is a magnificent compliment, muchas gracias!
We hope that from now on, we will become your “home away from home” when visiting Mexico and we have the pleasure of welcome you back.
Cordially,
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Set amidst mangroves and natural watershed, salt and fresh waters greet the cormorans and herons and many others who look at us as curiosities. It is a property joined by narrow roads or water canals spread between the pools, the beach, the restaurants and the spa... Exquisite balance of understated elegance! Superbe 5star service at all times for everyone! Baffling beauty of indigenous gardens stretched throughout the property... Immaculately kept! The staff is wonderful at every corner whatever your family or friends needs, they will do their best! What a peaceful and unique vacation!

Room Tip: Any room is great!
Dear Josephine B,
It was a pleasure reading your review. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. Be considered a “hidden treasure” is a wonderful compliment not only to the hotel’s facilities but also to the service provided by staff.
We look forward to welcome you back.
Atlanta Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba in one of the oceanfront rooms. The property is very large and the beach area rooms are a long way from the lobby. You can take a golf cart or ride one of the white bikes (if available) they have scattered along the property. We had the all inclusive package, which included meals, drinks and tips which cost over $1000 per night. But they have an asterisk, meaning that certain foods and drinks are not included. Although we were careful to stick to the meal plan, when we got our bill there were several mistakes and charges for items we did not order. My main complaint was the way the front desk staff treated me when I asked for the charges to be removed. Fernanda repeatedly questioned me and insisted that the charges were accurate. Next I spoke to Mariana, a manager who again repeatedly questioned me and belittled me about it. After close to an hour of going back and forth, they finally corrected the charges, blaming a typo. In the end, I felt so bad about the way they treated me about this clerical error, accusing me as if I was trying to get something for free. I asked to speak with the GM Stan (--) and was told he was not available. But I asked again and again and finally got a call from the manager. And the conversation with the GM made me feel even worse. His answer was that since they reversed the charges, he couldn't understand what was the problem. Even when he understood that the process of correcting the errors was so difficult, he would not even apologize. The property is beautiful, the views are great, the food is good (not very good) but good. The service in the restaurants is extremely slow. The kids club is fun, but the security is lacking. When I picked up my child and the child for another family traveling with us, no one asked who I was, or asked me to sign out. I could have been anyone taking away the children. But they were only interested in my signing for the $29 kid's club fee for the other family. We had a butler assigned to our room but he seemed to have the day off every time we needed anything. We were told another butler would contact us but that never happened. The rooms were not cleaned until late in the day even though we called 2-3 times each day requesting the room be cleaned and specifically asked at check in that our room be cleaned early. We had beach chairs assigned to our room, but other guests were always in them and it was next to impossible to get someone to help us get more chairs. Our friends had a plunge pool in their room but it was ice cold (like the other pools on the property), so it was not usable. When they complained about the pool, they were told it was on maximum heat. Internet is supposed to be free for President's club members, but just like the bogus food charges we were charged 200 pesos per day for internet access and again it was a difficult process to have the charges removed (even though they had our President's club info at the reservation and at check in). Overall, the hotel is beautiful, non-front desk staff is courteous and friendly but the front desk staff and management are more focused on collecting bogus charges than your experience as a guest. I would come back to this area and stay at the Rosewood or the Banyon Tree (on the same property) next time.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the beach are a LONG way away (too far to walk), but the beach front rooms are right...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fairmont M, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Mayakoba, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear atlantahost,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is with disappointment that I read your recent stay with us was less than perfect and for that, I apologize. As you mentioned, ultimately the charges were corrected, however it does not take away the fact that it added an unneeded stress to your vacation and prevented you from experiencing the attentive service that we have been know for since the opening of our resort.
I hope that you give us the opportunity to regain your trust. Next time you consider traveling to Riviera Maya; please feel free to email me directly at paulina.feltrin@fairmont.com so that I can personally assist on planning a pleasurable stay at Fairmont Mayakoba.
Madison, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Mayakoba with my family (husband and 2 tweens) over Presidents Weekend. The property is lovely, the pools are very nice and the grounds are well kept. However, the positives were outweighed by the very poor service in the restaurants.

While the food and atmosphere were very nice in all the restaurants, the wait for all our meals (except breakfast, which was buffet) was unacceptably long. Most of our meals (2-3 courses) took a minimum of 2 hours, and dinners were closer to 3 hours. There were waits of 30-45 minutes between courses. When I am on vacation, I prefer to spend my time at the pool or site-seeing, not waiting for my lunch! We ended up ordering lunch poolside so as not to waste time waiting in the restaurant for our meals.

I understand that the pace is slower than what we are accustomed to in the US, but I have traveled to several hotels in the Cancun/Riviera Maya region and I travel all over the world for business every month. The waits were truly unacceptable, and we saw others complaining about the lengthy meals as well. We met one family who had been here 2 years ago on vacation and commented that they thought the service in the restaurants had declined.

It is too bad because if they improved the service level in the restaurants, this hotel could be wonderful.

Room Tip: Note that the grounds are very lush and green, and the birds start chirping early in the morning! T...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear lacatlin88,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. It is with sadness that I read that your stay was less than perfect; I appreciate your honest feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to improve. Your review has been shared with the departments involved so that we can continue to provide the Fairmont service that has allow us to be positioned as one of the best resorts in the Riviera Maya.
We hope that you give us the opportunity to improve the perception you have on the hotel and hopefully be considered your preferred choice when in Riviera Maya.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is by far the best hotel in Mexico we have even encountered. We attended w/ 20 others and all but a few stayed in the hotel. We were in the casitas (4-plexes) that did not take away from the ambiance of the surroundings. On each night we ate in a different restaurant and the food AND presentation was wonderful and beautifully presented. Although the weather didn't cooperate with our timed visit, that seemed to put a damper on the trip. Not many of us braved the cool weather to sunbathe. There were ALWAYS 9-12 person trams that picked you up at anytime of the day or evening that you would have to walk from one of the two restaurants that were not located in the main building. Several took taxi's into Playa del Carmen about a 15 min drive away for a 2 hr. shopping trip with a cost of about $7-8 each one-way. On occasion we ordered from a limited menu from the veranda on the back side of the main lobby overlooking the grounds. It's beautiful. There is a beautiful lagoon with a 45 minute boat ride within the complex that (w/ reservations only and no cost) you can take and learn more about the Rivera Mayakoba. We were all wishing we could stay longer. It is the best experience we've encountered.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Katherine T,
Gracias por sharing your experience about your recent stay with us at Fairmont Mayakoba. Reading your review is a great reminder of how, even when sunny weather is not on our side, the resort’s facilities, services and amenities continue to provide wonderful options for our guests to enjoy a memorable stay. We are glad to know you were able to take the boat tour, it is indeed an activity all visitors should experience.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Riviera Maya.
Director of Public Relations

Been to Fairmont Mayakoba? Share your experiences!