“Amazing Location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Encanto Riviera Apartments

Save Saved
You added Encanto Riviera Apartments to your Saves list
Encanto Riviera Apartments
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Calle 10 bis Entre 20 y 25 Colonia Centro, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Calgary, Alberta
“Amazing Location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for one week March 1st - 8th of 2014. The service provided by Cinthia and Oscar was great, they are very nice people and want you to have a nice stay.

The location of this property is absolutely perfect. You are situated a few short blocks from the beach and 5th avenue and a few short blocks from the local grocery stores like MEGA and Walmart. It is also across the street from the bus station so no need to take a taxi when coming from and heading back to Cancun airport. There are amazing local, CHEAP places to eat around every corner!

The property itself is just under 10 years old now. Some things are starting to show signs or wear and tear but that's expected. The courtyard is amazing with all the greenery and birds chirping away along with the waterfall. Love the rooftop patio with swimming pool.

We loved how all dishes were included and we could make breakfast each morning. No washer and dryer in our unit. The only real complaint I would have is the bed. The mattress is extremely hard and after the 5th night it was a bit difficult to stay comfortable. If this property upgraded it's mattress and did a slightly better job at cleaning the place it would be rated a 4 or 5 out of 5.

We enjoyed our stay very much but because of the mattress we will probably try out a different place next time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Unfortunately, not a story with a happy ending.

I had two confirmed bookings for this hotel. I was excited despite the mixed reviews about the cleaning service. The pictures seemed very nice and I figured that I can always do the cleaning if needed, so one can say that I was really looking forward my stay at the Encanto Riviera Playa del Carmen.

We had 5 days booked including the night of New Year’s Eve. Please mind that I had put down my Amex card to secure the booking.

When I called to re-confirm the requested non-smoking rooms (12:00 AM London time), I found out that the hotel will not honour the confirmation. First, the manager (Enrique), told me that they didn't have any rooms for these dates; to go look for something else. Not even an ‘I am sorry’. Please mind these dates are quite busy in Playa del Carmen with 96% of hotels sold out.

After hanging up, I frantically started searching for rooms and to my shock and surprise, I found them available at this hotel for the dates I needed. They were advertised on another travel site but now were listed at a much higher price; almost 6 times the original price.

I called back the manager and he told me that yes, they had rooms but now they were that new price. It was 6 times the price we paid for them and therefore, he could not longer honour the booking. He offered them at the new price. I wasn’t sure if he was joking but no, he was actually serious.

Speaking in perfect Spanish, I asked them about their obligation towards bookings and he told me it wasn’t his fault, it was the rep's fault and that they had no obligation whatsoever.

In short, we were without a hotel for 5 nights on key dates. When I asked him to look at the booking confirmation, he asked me to send them to a Hotmail account, not an account for the actual hotel. Dishonesty was written all over this.

So great biz, you take a booking, if you are busy and can afford it, you cancel it and advertise the rooms at a higher rate. What a great scam!!!

I called the travel site that I used to book them and they were very kind and horrified, and told me that the hotel is obliged to accept the booking as is a contract. That even if they didn’t have rooms, they should pay for the difference between their hotel and a similar one (stars, location, facilities). They were contacting the hotel and their rep to try to force them to take us.

We didn’t want to fight with the Encanto Riviera staff. You never know. If they are acting this dishonest way before you get there, they could give you the room because they have to comply and then, you get an unpleasant surprise. I wasn’t going to put ourselves in that situation. Much less start the New Year with a problem.

We were lucky and although we now have to change hotels 3 times in 5 days, which is a pain, at least we have beds to sleep on. We really didn’t want any more aggravation from these people so we will smile and remember them every time we check-in and check-out. It could have been worse.

Be aware…if you already made your booking, you might be lucky or...you might be like me, desperately looking for rooms, 3 days before leaving for Mexico. Unbelievable!
Anyway, trying to forget about whole horrible nightmare with the non Encanto Riviera Playa del Carmen and remember that this is the exception in Mexico, not the rule.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Encanto Riviera Apartments? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Encanto Riviera Apartments

Address: Calle 10 bis Entre 20 y 25 Colonia Centro, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi ) Spa Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #60 of 124 Specialty lodging in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Encanto Riviera Apartments 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo and Agoda so you can book your Encanto Riviera Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Encanto Riviera Apartments Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

If you own or manage Encanto Riviera Apartments, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.