Our kids have finally grown up so we decided to go on a vacation just for ourselves. We booked at the Royal on the advice of people we know and the reviews on TripAdvisor. It's an adults only resort i.e. no one under 16 years. It's associated resort for families next door wasn't as luxurious but looked pretty darn good, too. We spent more $$ than we would normally but we have absolutely no regrets.
To be fair in this review, we are normally fairly low maintenance in our requirements for a resort. We've taken a fair number of Mexican holidays (always on the Pacific side) and we know what we want. Our previous experiences have always been good to very good. This was excellent and we love the Caribbean side, too. We are go-see-do type of people so we don't need much of a beach / pool to spend all day, or a really extravagant room. We like a nice meal but we don't live for it, and we don't drink much or often. We do need a good bed, lots to do and a nice place and way to relax after daily excursions.
This place far surpassed all of our requirements. Better yet, we talked with lots of people at the resort and I didn't hear a single negative from others with different criteria. That was a first, no place is perfect and there are always some annoyances.
The resort is much better than we'd hoped. The rooms are beautiful, the resort is gorgeous, the staff is excellent, the food quality and variety is great, the resort location is absolutely perfect, shopping is great, and there is lots to do in the area. I just can't say enough. We would go back in a heartbeat.
The resort - believe the pictures. It's great. Staff were very friendly and always helpful. The all inclusive restaurants were so good we didn't once feel compelled to try some of the excellent (we've heard) local establishments. Based on previous experiences we were really reluctant to pay for all inclusive accommodations. We don't really drink that much or that often and we like to try local restaurants. This resort has encouraged us to believe that sometimes the all inclusive price can be worth it. They even had a glass of good quality port for me as an after dinner drink on the patio!! The layout is really good. You can be right in the action around the pool, sit comfortably on the beach, or you can relax on the patio far enough away from the noise to enjoy a quiet conversation. The nightly shows were not our thing, but obviously a lot of people did enjoy them - every night.
The area has much to offer. It's a two block walk to 5th avenue - a very long street with everything you would want to find for shopping, bars, etc. Lots of tours. A ferry on the hour over to Cozumel, Cancun is a 45 minute trip, XCaret (great), Xhel-Ha (awesome), Tulum (interesting), Coba (good), Cenotes (cool!), Scuba diving and snorkelling (excellent), Captain Hook pirate ships (great fun!!), nightlife in Cancun (wow), swimming with the dolphins (MUST DO at least once in your life) and much, much more. We couldn't have done it all if we'd had another week! Don't book these at your hotel - much more expensive. The local tour companies offer exactly the same thing for much less. The resorts tell you they can't be trusted (naturally) but we had no bad experiences. Pay in local currency if you can. The exchange rates were inconsistent, never a real rip-off but never advantageous.
I could go on and on but suffice to say if you're interested in the hotel and/or the area and its in your price range, don't be reluctant at all. I'm already saving up for next year.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel
- Royal Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- Royal Playa
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New redesigned and redefined THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen is one of the most successful resorts on the Riviera Maya. Guests will discover an explosion of luxury around every corner, all provided in an atmosphere of casual elegance boasting a perfect beachfront location, mere steps from Playa del Carmen’s famed Fifth Avenue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Tingo, getaroom.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.