“Royal Playa Del Carmen” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
“Royal Playa Del Carmen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I am not a big fan of all inclusive hotels, but this property is so worth it. Everything was absolutely wonderful. My daughter and I were there August 8-14th and had a fabulous time. The rooms were spacious and very nice. Most of our time was spent at the pool or the beach, BTW Gorgeous! All of the servers and staff were great. We especially loved the entertainment at the pool and in the evenings (especially the Decades and Elements shows). THanks to Pepe, Karina, Franco, Moshe, Danny, Victor and Alex! We treated ourselves to spa services.Yessica and Samuel services were worth it, very relaxing. Most of the restaurants were very good, we especially enjoyed Asiana and Marie Maria. All of the staff was friendly and very accomodating. I would return again. The only thing missing was there was no night life. Everything except the 24 hour lounge closes at midnight. No casino or disco for the younger family members.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your review, it is really nice, and makes feel very proud of our entire staff and beautiful property!! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.

Once again, thank you very much for your great review and Remember The Royal Playa is your home away from home! It will be an honor to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,353)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This place is so amazing. The beach is beautiful the pools are amazing and the food/staff are outstanding. I would single-handedly come back just because of the AMAZING staff who have created unforgettable memories for me. First is Alejandro, who took us to the awesome show/club coco bongo! We had an amazing time with him. Moshe, Victor, Danny, and Franco were SO much fun during water aerobics. I would have never joined them for this activity if they weren't so inviting! I could not wait to do it again. Karina made bracelets with me and i learned so much, i made 2 or 3 of them. She was so sweet and took her time to teach me how to make them. Danny boy, Jossy, Victor and Franco were so funny and played beach volley ball with us when it was raining, they was awesome and loved spending time with them. Franco taught me how to dance salsa & merengue he was such a sweet heart, I was very nervous but he made it so comfortable and easy. The shows at 945 were AWESOME!!! Javier, Maribel, Pepe(AMAZING!!) and Donahue were outstanding. I went to every single show for the week that I was there. I will DEFINITELY be coming back here as soon as I can mostly because of the staff and how much fun I had. I thank you for the amazing memories you gave me Alejandro, Franco, Moshe, Victor, Pepe, Karina, Danny, Jossy, Maribel, Donaghue, and Javier. Much love to you guys,

MARIA FROM CHICAGO!! <3

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
We truly appreciate your great review! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.
Thank you for your comments about our staff, this motivates them to keep putting their best effort in their daily job.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again in your second home, “the Royal Playa del Carmen”
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

hotel fantastic, beach great when seaweed is cleared up. Why only a score of 2 ? This is because the hotel is only feet away from a massive construction project smack next door. they are building the Hyatt hotel. The construction starts from before 7am and continues until after 7pm seven days a week, the noise is unbearable in the room, around the swimming pools and on the beach. Its better than any alarm clock, nothing like being woken up at 6:50am on holiday. The construction has been on going for a year and still has over a year to go. The holiday companies do not tell you about this. it will ruin your very expensive holiday, it ruined my families, concrete dust everywhere, if you lay on a sunbed on the beach you will get a coating all over you. "aaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh" Such a shame as otherwise it is fabulous.

Room Tip: do not get allocated rooms 600 to 900
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
We´re so sorry about what you experienced. Our guests ability to rest well is our utmost concern. We apologize for this incident which was outside our control and not at all a reflection of the comfort and service we provide at The Royal Playa del Carmen. We hope you will give our hotel another opportunity. We feel confident that under normal circumstances, it will be easy to see why the The Royal Playa is so highly regarded by the members of TripAdvisor.
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My vacation at The Royal in Playa Del Carmen was the best i've had so far in my life. I don't know if I was just blown away by the beautiful scenery, the all inclusiveness, or the friendly and amazing staff, but to me The Royal was a dream and definitely worth the money. Food and drinks were awesome with many bars around everywhere and great restaurants. Bartenders who can make anything you want fast and fun service. When you were tired of just laying around on the beach or by the pool there was a great activities and sports crew to always make the pool interesting. The guys leading activities were hilarious and entertaining. Comically flirty even with old ladies and making sure everyone was having a good time and busy. Alejandro, Pepe, Franco, Danny boy and Mosche were fantastic and hilarious. Mosche was my favorite and you could see Pepe in the spectacular shows every night. They made everyone have a great time and would play volleyball and other games throughout the day. Can't wait to go back want to do it all again!

Room Tip: ocean front are the best and have more benefits
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The Royal Playa Del Carmen:
My wife and I were at the Royal Playa Del Carmen for 4 days (Aug 3 – 6). Let me start by saying we are experienced travelers in our early 40’s, and are very fortunate to have been to many all-inclusive properties in Mexico and the Caribbean (both high end and middle of the road, with and without our kids), including Le Blanc, Secrets the Vine, Moon Palace, Sun Palace, Cozumel Palace, The Royal Cancun, Great Parnassus, Dreams Puerto Vallarta, Secrets Vallarta Bay, Royal Solaris, Majestic Elegance in Punta Cana, among others. The Royal Playa Del Carmen is right up there with the best of them.

The hotel is very nice, bigger than some of the smaller resorts we’ve been to (like Dreams PVR), but smaller than the Moon Palace. We arrived early on the 3rd (around 11:30 am), and as expected, our room was not yet ready. As check-in time was not until 3:00, this was expected, so we just changed into our swim suits at the Spa and left the bags with the bellman. We checked back after lunch and the room was ready around 1:15. We were in a regular junior suite, close to the scuba diving center and the smaller pool by El Mediterraneo and the Coffee Shop. The rooms are above average. The bed was super comfortable and the A/C worked like a charm. The bathroom was big and the shower was good (decent water pressure). We did not use the in-room Jacuzzi tub, but it was there and looked to be in good working order and clean. We were closer to the construction than I would have liked, but the noise did not bother us from where we were.

The food was excellent everywhere we went. We especially enjoyed Tapas and Pelicanos. Luis Cetina and his team did an excellent job taking extra special care of us. The made to order taco bar at Tapas was delicious and they even made special shrimp quesadillas for us. that were not on the menu. Same thing at Pelicanos – we had breakfast there all 3 days, and they made special breakfast burritos for us, that, again, were not on the menu. The servers and chef were all very accommodating. Obil, Manuel, Charmin, Winston, Cristell, Pablo, Balam and the Chef, Doroteo… thank you all for the excellent service. The food at Maria Marie was fantastic as was El Mediterraneo.

Service around the pool was great as well. Vi took great care of us around the pool (always providing service with a smile) and our drinks were never empty for long. Drinks were plentiful and top shelf liquor was available – you just needed to ask for it (i.e. a Kettle one Martini vs. a “vodka martini”).

The hotel says tips are included, but we would consistently tip for drink service, as well as at meals and for housekeeping. These folks do a great job and deserve it, and they are very appreciative of the tips.

The only thing that has kept me from giving this resort a 5 star rating, was our check-out process. We were told during check-in, and again when my wife called the concierge desk, that phone calls back to the USA were included. We thought that was normal, as we have experienced that before at all the Palace Resorts and AM Resorts (Dreams / Secrets) we stayed. However, at check-out, we were presented a bill for $86 for 2 phone calls my wife made back to the USA. Obviously we were shocked and disputed the cost. They told us that only the presidential suite and one other high-end room category had calls included. I said that’s great, but that’s not what they told us. We both had our cell phones with us, as well as my laptop computer. Internet service was free, and I could have easily done a Skype call for free, or face time on my iPad or iPhone. The only reason we used the hotel phone was that they told us it was included. I refused to pay the $86, out of principle more than anything. We needed to get to our taxi and back to the airport, so after about 45 minutes of back and forth with one of the concierge supervisors, they gave us a $50 discount and I paid $36 for 2 phone calls that were less than 15 minutes each, otherwise I would have missed my flight. It just seems very petty that a high end all inclusive hotel would do this. We are seasoned travelers. My wife works for the airlines so we travel a lot. We have recurring trips we do with friends every year in January and May, and while I won’t say this little check-out / phone call incident will preclude another visit to The Royal Playa Del Carmen, it certainly doesn’t help. Come on guys, you’re better than that. All for 2 phone calls? Really?

Overall a very nice resort, extremely friendly and helpful staff in the restaurants and bars, excellent food and I would recommend it…. Just don’t use your in-room phone… 

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen, we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your great review.
We would like to mention that our goal is to ensure our guest satisfaction, we always make our best effort in making feel our guest special and valued during their stay and we are so proud that we did with you!
Also, we would like to mention that we take our guests´ suggestions very seriously this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might not being paying the attention that it deserves and we apologize if you felt uncomfortable with our check out process, rest assured that issues you raised have been address.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a truly exceptional vacation experience.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My twin sister and I stayed here last week to celebrate our 40th Birthdays. Over all it was a wonderful trip and our stay was great. The staff at The Royal are all wonderful and very attentive. The hotel grounds are immaculate and the rooms are very clean. All the staff from the bartenders, the restaurant staff, the Spa staff (Arte gave me a wonderful deep tissue massage!), and the beach servers (Prude & Elizabeth are great!) are amazing!

The only reasons I did not give the Royal a 5 star rating are:

We asked for a wake up call the morning we were leaving to be sure we were awake in time to catch our shuttle. We never got that call. It wasn't a big deal though as it was just a back up to our own alarm.

I accidentally left my prescription sunglasses in the room. They were left on a bench where I had piled all the extra pillows they give you (6) and I forgot they were there and didn't pack them. I realized it the morning after returning to the States. I have emailed 5 different email addresses and have not gotten a response from anyone. I would hope that someone would get back to me even if they haven't been found.

The food at the restaurants is pretty average but that is what I expected from an all inclusive.

Otherwise, our stay at the Royal was great. It was relaxing and fun. This was my first experience at an all inclusive and it took me a few days to get used to the all inclusive piece of it. It made the trip a lot more relaxing and stress free. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you reserve an ocean view room, do not select the first floor. There is no view from the first f...
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate this review. We are very happy to hear that it was a great experience for you, and that you found our staff to be very helpful and attentive, this will motivate us to keep doing our best job! Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacations.

Thank you again for your great review and we hope that you come back and enjoy once again of all our services!
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We just recently returned from our second trip to The Royal - Playa del Carmen and had a fantastic time. The resort and the food were as good as we remembered from the first time we were there. We booked the resort's transportation, a black Navigator, to pick us up at the airport and now I wouldn't consider using any other service to get us to and from the airport It was fantastic! I was absolutely blown away by the front desk staff's willingness to accommodate a room request, as we were traveling with friends and it was important to me that we had rooms in a specific area.

The food at Asiana and Marie Maria were our favorites this time and we returned to dine at both two times. I was slightly disappointed that we didn't see the gentleman at the pool walking around with frozen grapes and cleaning your sunglasses this time, but that's hardly an issue.

I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge several staff members that made our trip even more fantastic: First and foremost, the bartenders Perez, Reyes, and Arcangel are wonderful. They were hilarious and kept the drinks flowing while entertaining us with their comedy and even bar tricks. Eva and Vi at the pool were top notch and went out of their way to make sure that our every need was handled. They were happy and friendly the whole time despite the intense heat and our never-ending, constant thirst for more bar drinks. Thank you ladies! Finally, Dimitrio in the Spice buffet really made every breakfast, and sometimes lunch, very special.

We will absolutely be back to visit the Royal again soon and will continue to recommend the resort as a luxurious getaway to all of our friends.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am pleased to learn that a some people of our staff was able to exceed your expectations. I will certainly forward your appreciation words to all the people mentioned and their supervisors.
Once again thank you for staying with us and remember… “The Royal Playa del Carmen” is your second home.

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!