I had to let some time go by before I could bring myself to write a review so I wouldn't go ranting on and on. The resort itself is beautiful, and centrally located right in downtown Playa Del Carmen which was very fun!
Despite this, our vacation started off on a bad foot. We requested an ocean view room away from the construction, was told we would stay in the "Coba" rooms which are the rooms on the opposite side. Even after we double confirmed, once when booking, and once right when we got to the resort, we still got a room directly next to the construction. Looking at the map, I told the woman who helped us at the front desk that this was way too close to the construction. She replied with "you won't hear anything." Of course we get to the room and I am disappointed. The room also smelt moldy which was disgusting.
I was willing to let this go and my boyfriend and I decided to go explore the beach and the town for the day. We came back to the room to take a shower, and our water was broken. Literally, brown, sandy water was coming through our sinks and showers. I was unable to take a shower for almost 2 days. After NUMEROUS (approximately 10) different attempts at calling the concierge/maintenece, one of the managers - I forget his name but I know it started with an "E" helped us change rooms completely to the room that we were paying for anyway. The concierge and maintenance were ridiculous - they just kept deferring the question saying "it will be fixed in 10 minutes" "don't worry it will be fixed in 20 minutes" "will be fixed by 10PM." Needless to say this did not make me feel comfortable, and I was pretty disappointed considering my money just went down the drain for the first day and a half. And NO ONE offered us a refund. The manager did offer us a free meal at Chef's Plate though, which was nice of him.
Once we were in our new room, I was able to relax more. It was the perfect room, and we had fun just hanging out, enjoying the balcony, the huge jacuzzi, and room service! The vacation definitely picked up from there, however it was hard to shake the uneasy vibe the resort was giving to me. The resort itself is extremely well kept. Staff by the pool is very attentive and constantly asking to refill your drink!
- The restaurants - were fine. It was my first all inclusive and apparently according to some other reviews people think this food is amazing. It's very mediocre, but maybe I've had the opportunity to taste really good food in my life.
- The people / clientele - Perhaps my boyfriend and I who, for reference are 23 and 27, went on an 'off week' but there were hardly any young people. The majority of the people were 40+ and just wanted to eat, drink, and sit all day. I wasn't expecting to make best friends on this trip, but I was hoping to be surrounded by people who I had a little more in common with.
- The activities by the pool and at night- Were cheesy, but pretty funny.
- Fifth Avenue - Cool place with a good mix of touristy / local shops! My boyfriend and I went out late one night and the clubs were awesome. One thing we noticed was there were a ton of locals out, and not many Americans! Which was fine, I still had a great time!
- The Beach - Was pretty. It did smell of sulfur a bit, but that didn't bother us. We beach walked almost every day/night which was fun!
We also did a few other activities outside of the resort. I highly recommend Edventure Tours. They are a smaller tour company that is not heavily advertised, but they really give you personal attention and take you to amazing places, and provide a photo service! We had such a great day with them.
We also did a ATV and Jetski activity with Maroma adventures which was also very fun!
To sum everything up, I would not stay at the Royal again. The service was simply not up to par for the cost, and unfortunately all the good did not outweigh the bad during this trip. If I were to rate my trip in it's entirety, I'd rate it much higher, but in terms of the resort itself, I have to give it 2 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New redesigned and redefined THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen is one of the most successful resorts on the Riviera Maya. Guests will discover an explosion of luxury around every corner, all provided in an atmosphere of casual elegance boasting a perfect beachfront location, mere steps from Playa del Carmen’s famed Fifth Avenue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico