“Service NOT Up To Par” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #6 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stamford, Connecticut
“Service NOT Up To Par”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I had to let some time go by before I could bring myself to write a review so I wouldn't go ranting on and on. The resort itself is beautiful, and centrally located right in downtown Playa Del Carmen which was very fun!

Despite this, our vacation started off on a bad foot. We requested an ocean view room away from the construction, was told we would stay in the "Coba" rooms which are the rooms on the opposite side. Even after we double confirmed, once when booking, and once right when we got to the resort, we still got a room directly next to the construction. Looking at the map, I told the woman who helped us at the front desk that this was way too close to the construction. She replied with "you won't hear anything." Of course we get to the room and I am disappointed. The room also smelt moldy which was disgusting.

I was willing to let this go and my boyfriend and I decided to go explore the beach and the town for the day. We came back to the room to take a shower, and our water was broken. Literally, brown, sandy water was coming through our sinks and showers. I was unable to take a shower for almost 2 days. After NUMEROUS (approximately 10) different attempts at calling the concierge/maintenece, one of the managers - I forget his name but I know it started with an "E" helped us change rooms completely to the room that we were paying for anyway. The concierge and maintenance were ridiculous - they just kept deferring the question saying "it will be fixed in 10 minutes" "don't worry it will be fixed in 20 minutes" "will be fixed by 10PM." Needless to say this did not make me feel comfortable, and I was pretty disappointed considering my money just went down the drain for the first day and a half. And NO ONE offered us a refund. The manager did offer us a free meal at Chef's Plate though, which was nice of him.

Once we were in our new room, I was able to relax more. It was the perfect room, and we had fun just hanging out, enjoying the balcony, the huge jacuzzi, and room service! The vacation definitely picked up from there, however it was hard to shake the uneasy vibe the resort was giving to me. The resort itself is extremely well kept. Staff by the pool is very attentive and constantly asking to refill your drink!

- The restaurants - were fine. It was my first all inclusive and apparently according to some other reviews people think this food is amazing. It's very mediocre, but maybe I've had the opportunity to taste really good food in my life.

- The people / clientele - Perhaps my boyfriend and I who, for reference are 23 and 27, went on an 'off week' but there were hardly any young people. The majority of the people were 40+ and just wanted to eat, drink, and sit all day. I wasn't expecting to make best friends on this trip, but I was hoping to be surrounded by people who I had a little more in common with.

- The activities by the pool and at night- Were cheesy, but pretty funny.

- Fifth Avenue - Cool place with a good mix of touristy / local shops! My boyfriend and I went out late one night and the clubs were awesome. One thing we noticed was there were a ton of locals out, and not many Americans! Which was fine, I still had a great time!

- The Beach - Was pretty. It did smell of sulfur a bit, but that didn't bother us. We beach walked almost every day/night which was fun!

We also did a few other activities outside of the resort. I highly recommend Edventure Tours. They are a smaller tour company that is not heavily advertised, but they really give you personal attention and take you to amazing places, and provide a photo service! We had such a great day with them.

We also did a ATV and Jetski activity with Maroma adventures which was also very fun!

To sum everything up, I would not stay at the Royal again. The service was simply not up to par for the cost, and unfortunately all the good did not outweigh the bad during this trip. If I were to rate my trip in it's entirety, I'd rate it much higher, but in terms of the resort itself, I have to give it 2 stars.

Room Tip: I would say ask for a room away from the construction but there is a chance that your call will go i...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Guest,
Your comments are important for us and we are grateful that you take some minutes from your valued time and make this review from us, this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might not being paying the attention that it deserves. We are deeply sorry about your perception from our resort and the issues you had in your recently stay. We cordially invite you to visit us in the near future and give us the opportunity to change your perception from our resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,631)
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Thank you Royal. Thank you luis miguel. Maybe the next year i will see everybody in the hotel the royal. I'm canadian. I'm live so far away from mexico. but I in love of that people. I'm In love of the beach. Luis Miguel. A boy very intellligent. So lovely. Thanks again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are excited you enjoyed your stay and that you especially like our service, we are very happy to read that Luis Miguel is doing a great job as well our entire staff. We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

My husband and I took a week away without the kids and couldn't have found a better all inclusive, adults only resort. The weather was perfect, service 5 star, beach and pools relaxing. Check in process was smooth, they asked what time we wanted the rooms cleaned during the day, turn down service at night, and we got to choose from 6 different pillows on the menu. Hotel was fully booked but never felt crowded. We always found chairs on the beach and pool. Loved the DJ and/or Live music at the pool. The butlers that walked around checking on us and cleaned my sunglasses everyday was much appreciated. Many restaurants to choose from, top shelf liquor at every bar, specialty tequila/cigar bar was fun, entertainment in the lobby every night around 10pm. We met very nice people also visiting the resort (and I tend not to make new friends while I'm away) but everyone was great! High end resort with down to earth guests and tremendous service. I hope we go back next year!

Room Tip: Our room was 118 faced the courtyard and pool and lobby area. Very central but not on top of any par...
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are excited you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back very soon
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Everything at the hotel was great except for the beach. I was really disapointed that we were so close to the ferry that goes to Cozumel. Almost, the beach smelled like sewer. I don't know if they had a problem with the construction beside the hotel.
They have so much staff that its impossible not to get more than great service.
The food was awesome at The Spice restaurant. Not so much at the other ones.
They are building a brand new hotel about 15 feet from one of the wings so there will be construction probably for the next 6 - 12 months.

Dear Guest,
We really appreciate this review. Thank you for give us the opportunity to host you and we hope that you come back and enjoy once again of all our services!
Maitland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I can't say enough great things about this resort! The staff, the service, the food, the room, the pool...all were amazing! We enjoyed the Chef's Plate and is worth the splurge! Room service is fantastic- always quick and delicious. My husband and I couldn't say enough how helpful and friendly the staff is. We didn't want to leave and we will be back!! Thank you for the great memories!

JUST A SUGGESTION TO THE RESORT: Please put felt (or something) on the bottom of the chairs in the rooms! You have beautiful marble floors that are VERY loud when the heavy wooden chairs are pulled in and out of all hours of the day and night. That is my ONLY complaint.

Room Tip: Any room is a great room here!! Get one with a private pool!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Guest,
Your comments are very important for us reason why we would like to mention your review has been shared to the staff in order to improve for our future guests. Once again thank you for staying with us and remember… “The Royal Playa del Carmen” is your second home. It will be our pleasure to host you once again.
North Richland Hills, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Everything was outstanding from check in to check out. With the exception of the 700's room numbers where we stayed. They are building a new resort next door and we were woken up every morning to hammering and construction. I can't wait to go back and stay in an area other than the 700's. This is a beautiful resort with amazing hospitality! Everyone that is Employeed here deserves a raise!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words about our Resort , we are very happy that you enjoyed it.
It will be an honor to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

pro: Location /food/pools /rooms /view /can go online and assign room want
Con: Beach small crowded

group of 24 went nice weather and would go back again the location
they offers free bike use lot fun to take and go ride around town and to less crowed beaches

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen and we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a truly exceptional vacation experience.

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!