My young adult children (20 & 23 yrs old) proclaimed this was the best Xmas they've ever had...so much for instilling years of holiday traditions & ritual. But, I have to say our week at The Royal was wonderful. We were warmly welcomed, had two lovely rooms (with huge soaking tub and great shower) facing the pool as well as a peak of the ocean. All the food and drink you could possibly want at this all-inclusive. My son particularly enjoyed the 18 yr drinking age in Mexico. I liked the 16 yr and older concept.
Staff was always friendly and warm, pool time with sunscreen and library carts, games, water aerobics if you chose, absolutely beautiful ocean and beach just steps away. The big shopping street called Fifth Ave was also nearby which was a nice deviation for walking and souvenir shopping. Our favorite hotel restaurant was Asiana, although there were many to choose from at The Royal. We had a family massage (four tables side by side) in the gazebo on the beach which was fun (great massages by Lucy, Samuel, Denise, and Enrique!!)
Side excursions included swimming with dolphins, and snorkeling to see sea turtles, and later at a senote (fresh water cave) with stalagmites and stalagtites which was cool...although both were quite pricey. Overall, a great relaxing vacation. The only downside were the "pitches" to come hear how great it would be to buy a "timeshare" at The Royall, although the seemingly friendly marketing staff continually denied it was such a ploy. We basically dodged those that had tried to make a week-long connection with us, and it was annoying to have to do that while on vacation. I'll overlook this and rate The Royal the full five stars. My husband based on this negative experience, which he found offensive and harassing, would probably give just three stars or less. Take this marketing ploy out of the mix, and he would likely give it the full five star rating. My advice...just be prepared for this and don't let it get in the way of a really really good time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New redesigned and redefined THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen is one of the most successful resorts on the Riviera Maya. Guests will discover an explosion of luxury around every corner, all provided in an atmosphere of casual elegance boasting a perfect beachfront location, mere steps from Playa del Carmen’s famed Fifth Avenue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Playa del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Porto Real
- Royal Playa De Carmen
- The Royal Playa Del Carmen Riviera Maya, Mexico