“The Royal never fails- we love this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Morristown, New Jersey
“The Royal never fails- we love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We love this place to death and this trip was extra special bc we were having our wedding here this time around. We had About 30 guests and everyone loved it! No one wanted to leave.

All the restaurants are great and service is wonderful, the rooms are great too. This time around we had an ocean front master suite, the view was awesome.

We used the spa for many services- massages, facials and body wraps. All enjoyable experiences.

And again, the high light of this place in relation to other resorts is the location to 5th ave... With all shops restaurants and bars.

A few people I MUST mention who went above and beyond for us

Our wedding coordinator, Denys Madrigal, was exceptional!! I love her for all she did to make my wedding day and week the best time of my life.

Spa ladies:
Alicia, mArijo, gildA

Our spice waiter, Antonio
And our favorite bartender toto.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,354)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

After all the stellar reviews on here and also from recommendations from 3 co-workers we were DISAPPOINTED.

The Royal missed the mark on several important points - Freshness being the main one. We were here for 9 days so we ate everywhere (except the Chef's Plate) at least once. The food was mediocre at best. The seafood was NOT FRESH and tasted very "fishy". That being said we did not opt for the extra-cost lobster. The best food we had was at Asiana (sp), the lamb was the best thing we had. Overall, the food felt very "institutional", almost like a mid-low budget cruise - and I realize they are cooking for 500 rooms, etc, but we did have expectations.

The other main sore point on the "freshness" scale was the drinks - none of the boat-drinks, umbrella drinks, tropical drinks - whatever name you would want to call them were made with fresh fruit. Everything we saw and/or tried had it's coloring and flavoring come out of the "bar hose" where the soda come from. (the exception was the Mojito which did have fresh mint). Any of the drinks we tried in that realm came across super syrupy sweet and were, for us undrinkable. We eventually revered back to mixing our own rum and diet cokes out of the "mini-bar" in the room (the mini bar is not mini and is awesome!).

The other thing that bugged us was the service - I'm not saying it wasn't good, but maybe too attentive? We would receive at least 4 knocks a day - one for maid service, one or two for the guy to check/restock the "mini" bar, one for turndown service, and occasionally (we didn't quite figure out the schedule) for mosquito spraying. I don't know if they spry all the rooms, but we had one of the swim-up rooms in the "new" section and for an hour or so a day, you would hear this gas powered leaf blower with mosquito spray attached to it, revving up and down the halls, in the rooms and out on the balconies, which wasn't very relaxing. Now, I know some of you will say,"That's what the 'Do Not Disturb' sign is for." We'll we tried that and they CALLED the room to know what time we wanted them to come back. They offer a pillow menu so you can choose your pillow type when you check in - it took 4 days and several phone calls and finally accosting the turn-down lady to finally get them - you don't really need them, there are like 6-8 pillows on the bed when you get there, but don't offer it if you aren't going to provide the service. (We also didn't get turndown the first night, and when we called and asked about turn-down and the pillows, they told us that wasn't provided on the first night - which I call BS on because other people got theirs).

Also, just in case you aren't aware - they will try to sell you on whatever their version of a time share or fractional ownership, or whatever they call it is - so just be aware - book a time just so you can get out to the pool and cancel it later.

Last minute addition - since I just saw someone else mention the coffee bar, all the coffee we had from there was not freshly ground/made and tasted like it came from a vending machine. There is a coffee/chocolate place called "Ah Cacao" a block west on Av. Constituyentes that is well worth the walk.

Okay, I think that's it for the bad stuff, on to the good...
The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are immaculate and the beach is very nice. If you are planning on using the public pool, people start reserving chairs in the best spots around 8am, so stake your claim early. the same with the "cabana" thingys on the beach. try to get as close to the water as you can for the best people watching, otherwise you are stuck looking at the backs of there people's lounge chairs. If you are like us and have a swim up room, there is wait staff that circulates periodically to bring drinks. They had activities every day but sunday, and tuesday night was the "white" party. they have shows in the main lobby most nights that were interesting but get there early if you want a seat.

The room was nice and came with a Bose cd/dvd player with iPod/iPhone4s and below hookup. It had a sub-woofer attached, but I couldn't get any bass out of it no matter what settings I adjusted. The hot-tub in the room was nice, (be careful the tile floors are very slippery when wet). Room service was prompt no matter what time we ordered and the privacy box they put the food in is nice, though several times they did not turn on the light to let us know the food had arrived.

If you like alcohol the selection they are is pretty nice, most all the tequila is 100% agave (for some reason they do have Cuervo Gold). They have a nice rum selection, including some Cuban varieties. We never really got around to trying any of the "included" wines, other than the welcome glass of bubbles on arrival.

The "trade winds" bar at the pool gets very busy, but you can walk 40 feet over to the "swim-up" bar and not have to wait as long. We saw many people with their own insulated cups, because the ice melts fast and the beer gets warm.

Our go-to lunch spot became the Taco cart they have set up between Pelicano's and the Tapas place. As I said earlier, Asiana was the best for dinner. Breakfast seems to be about the same resort wide, but Spice and El Mediterano (sp) have custom stations to get fresh eggs, pancakes, etc. The does appear to be fresh juice at breakfast.

This was our 7th time back to Playa del Carmen over the last 14 years, and our first time doing All-inclusive here. It will also be our last (all-inclusive). There are so many great restaurants with fresh food, it's hard to go wrong if you're careful.

Overall, if we could have had our room, with the swim up entrance 35 steps from the beach without the all inclusive, we would have been much happier.

Room Tip: We had 634 - it's a swim up "ocean view" - but its on the end and was only 35 steps fr...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a wedding in Mexico so we checked into the Royal a few days early to enjoy some time together before switching hotels and moving to the hotel where the wedding was to take place.

Our stay at The Royal was meant to be relaxing.

We requested a quiet room, away from the pool and lobby.

What we got was a room in the dead center of a construction zone. We were woken up at 8 am (6 AM Los Angeles time) with the sound of bulldozers and engines. The noise was actually shockingly loud. The later in the day, the louder it got, so if you wanted to take a nap, there was literally zero chance of falling asleep due to the noise and vibration.

We tried to ignore it but it was to the point where our room was actually vibrating from the engines. This was supposed to be a relaxing vacation and it was the total opposite.

We went to the front desk the following day (today) to ask why we were put in the loudest room in the hotel when we requested a quiet room?

They explained they have no control over the construction going on next door but we could move to the other side of the hotel into a room with double beds if we wanted.

Ummm ok? Married couple who comes to relax and you offer us a room with double beds? They did offer to push the beds together for us.

We were only coming here for 3 days so it did not make sense to pack up the entire room and move across the property.

The waiters and waitresses here are great but the front desk staff did not help us at all.

Food was ok. Asiana is your best bet if you want something really good, everything else was just ok.

Location was Great if you want to walk to 5th Avenue and the restaurants on 5th Ave are actually way better than the hotel food.

We will not be returning to The Royal, total waste of money and zero relaxation.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I went to the Royal for our belated honeymoon in May 2013. It was really amazing. The room was amazing, we had a junior suite. Everyday we'd come back to a little surprise towel sculpture on our bed...too cute. Even room service was amazing. The food was all around very good. Breakfasts and lunches were ok...but we weren't looking for anything fancy. Service exceeded all expectations. Purde and all the other wait staff at the pool and beach were great and remembered us and what we drank from day to day. Reyes was a wonderful bartender over at the Mediteraneo bar and remembered our names after one visit. We will definitely be back and will probably even bring friends next time to show off the beautiful scenery.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I loved my time here. At first, I was worried about going due to all of the reviews of people getting the stomach bug. I actually prepared to be sick and took preventative measures by bringing hand sanitizer, pepto bismol, immodium, and prescriptions for Diarrhea and vomiting from my doctor. However, I never got sick and I did not limit the foods that I ate or drinks. In fact, the staff at all of the restaurants did a good job of getting everyone to sanitize their hands as they entered. There were hand sanitizers everywhere including a small personal bottle in the rooms.

The service was amazing. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. As far as the time share, I did attend, got a few free things and declined to purchase anything. It wasn't a big deal or disappointment to me because I knew what to expect from reading the reviews and if you don't want to attend you can simply decline. They don't call rooms or knock on doors anymore per Mexico government enforcement. I always felt like the service was out of the way amazing and therefore tipped just about everyone $2+ from room service to waiter to bartender, the same way I would in the US for good service. The workers work hard and they appreciate it.

This place is extremely clean and I appreciate the double room service we received. The turn down service, which is later in the day after room service, also changes towels and remakes/decorates bed. That's why I call it a double room service. I stayed in room 211 (basic junior suite) and it was perfect. It even had an extra window that now all rooms have. Tv programs vary, some in Spanish and some in English.

The food was better at some restaurants than others but overall enjoyable. I personally enjoyed every restaurant in different ways except the buffet style restaurants beyond breakfast. The lunch and dinner buffets just weren't very tasty to me.

I was never interested in the big pool. It was way too many people there and it was very hot with no shade so I spent my time in the smaller pool in the VIP area and visited/walked the beach. If you walk down 5th Avenue, be prepared to be called into every shop by the workers outside. It can be annoying but I got some laughs out of being called sweet names.

Overall The Royal is great and I thoroughly enjoyed such an amazing hotel with an amazing location with amazing staff and perks. I would definitely want visit here again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Royal in Playa del Carmen is a great hotel with excellent service and the location (beachfront and 5th ave a block away) cant be topped.

From the moment we arrived the service was top notch (hand on their heart), restaurant were excellent, Tequileria/cigar bar, Coffee bar were a great surprice and our room was incredible (private pool, jacuzzi tub.....).

Will reccomend this hotel in Playa del Carmen !

Room Tip: rooms on the 600 section are the best !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at the royal for 7 nights in May. The rooms are very generous in size and all have a hammock on the balcony which I really enjoyed. There are plenty of restaurants included in the all inclusive package so you are never short of variety and staff all over the hotel are always friendly and will go out of their way to help! Staff of particular note were Maria Zetiena who was always extra friendly made sure our beds were always turned down. In the spa Alcudia and Enrique who were very helpful and have fantastic massages. I would highly recommend this hotel for the rooms, the location, the food and the service.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!