“Can't wait to return!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #6 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Can't wait to return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We arrived after a long day of traveling,to music playing in the lobby and friendly smiling faces at the desk. The room was very spacious and clean and the staff treated us like royalty. We spent everyday laying on the beach, drinks were always cold and the frozen grapes were a nice refreshing treat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,630)
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This place gave 70% of our group horrible stomach problems for the week we were there, which took a week to resolve after being back home. Of course like everyone else says they denied it, and i find that amusing after now reading they flushed their whole water systems etc. Why sacrifice guests saftey to save face?

I ran the bath in our hotel room one night and it was BROWN. disgusting.

Will not be returning here, plenty of nice hotels in the area and at least they could have dealt with the problem at hand instead of denying it was their hotel. What a joke.

The food was also horrific, but the good news about pooping your brains out for 5 days is that you're not very hungry!

Room Tip: As others say, one side of the resort has construction. Ours didnt and was beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lynn D, Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions with us and we want you to know that we do take our guests´ comments very seriously.
We would like to mention that we are sincerely sorry to read your report, and it is our duty to inform you that our number one priority is to provide an absolute safe environment and top notch products to our guest. Reason why we would like to inform you that our hotel follows US and International Standards and procedures for Food & Beverage safety and handling. We have earned several recognitions for achieving and maintaining the highest level of health & safety standard in the region, such as Check Safety First by the international renowned program: Cristal and Distintivo “H” in all of our restaurants. The certification process includes routine inspections which are supplemented by our daily internal inspections to ensure the standards are met.
Again we are terribly sorry and we hope to have a second opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a truly exceptional vacation experience.
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The hotel and service are great; but there is something really bad going on, I got sick 24hrs after I arrived and coincidentally, 2 of my room neighbors as well, same as people who have met in the pool and restaurant, entire groups of people coming for conventions and weddings...

Would put a HUGE red flag until this issue is solved if you don't want to spend your vacations sick!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We sincerely hope to have a second chance to host you so you can fully experience our exceptional service and characteristic hospitality.
Saratoga Springs, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

TRANSPORTATION:
We arranged for private transportation through Olympus Tours from the Cancun airport to the Royal. This was a good way to start our trip. They gave us bottles of water and we were on our way after about 15 minutes. We had the van to ourselves and did not have to stop at other resorts.

CHECK IN:
On-Line:
Our experience at the Royal Playa Del Carmen started with the on-line check in. I was able to check in on-line and choose a room that fit our requirements: ocean front, non-smoking, top floor. We chose room 352 and it was perfect.
On Site:
Upon arrival, our bags were taken for us. After a few minutes, we were escorted to the Coba building for a private check-in. We were offered a cold towel and had a drink during the check in at the hotel. We were able to choose the time frame for having our room cleaned and for turn down service. We also chose pillows from the menu. We made reservations at Maria Marie and Chefs Plate. The room that I reserved on-line was being cleaned as we arrived a few hours early. The room was available after we returned from lunch. Our bags arrived promptly.

ROOM:
Our room was located near the main pool and the ocean. Our room was very nice and was set up with a roll away bed as requested as there were 3 of us. We found the beds comfortable. We really enjoyed our ocean front balcony. We watched several weddings. Our room was kept very clean. The room was cleaned during the requested time frame and the beds were turned down during the requested time frame every day. The room was cleaned thoroughly every day. All of us commented on how thoroughly the room was cleaned. We drank cold drinks from the refrigerator every day. I used bottled water to brush my teeth as a precaution against illness.

POOLS and BEACH:
Main Pool:
One of my friends really enjoyed the main pool. I did not really like the music and was not interested in the activities. There really is not any shade at the pool other than a small canopy on some of the chairs. However, I did enjoy a few hours at the pool. People put towels and some belongings out on the chairs pretty early.

Quiet Pool:
The quiet pool looked very nice except for the construction going on next door. Also, it was further away from our room and the beach.

Ocean:
There are little huts with 2 lounge chairs and a small table in them on the beach. We enjoyed viewing and listening to the ocean under cover and used one chair outside the hut when we wanted sun. Again, people "reserve" the little huts relatively early in the morning. Eva provided wonderful service with a smile at the beach.

TIPPING:
It is an all-inclusive resort, however we brought money and gave tips for the housekeeping staff, for drinks and for meals for good service. The resort staff works so hard. We usually gave a couple of dollars and I think that it was appreciated.

SPA:
We all enjoyed treatments at the spa. My friend especially enjoyed a message from Denise. We used a credit that we had and a discount through "My Time" (Liberty Travel) which reduced the cost of the treatments.

FOOD:
I do not have experience with all inclusive resorts, but I have been told that the food at the Royal is good for an all inclusive. There is definitely room for improvement in this area in my opinion.

After reading reviews prior to our trip, we stayed away from buffets at lunch and dinner.

CHEF'S PLATE:
We ate at Chef's Plate twice during our trip. Chef's Plate requires reservations and has a set menu. There is a significant up charge to eat at this restaurant if you do not have a room in the ocean front category or above. You can view the menus when you check in and make a reservation at this time. I thought the food at Chef's Plate was much better than it was at any of the other restaurants. Mosso provided wonderful service on the last night of our trip.

MARIA MARIE:
We ate at Maria Marie twice during our trip. The food ranged from okay to very good. We all enjoyed the creme brulee for desert.

EL MEDITERRÁNEO:
We ate breakfast here starting on our second morning. We preferred it to Spice for breakfast as it was smaller and less crowded. We liked the omlettes cooked in front of us. We received excellent service from Pepe and Richie. They were wonderful!

TAPAS & PINTXOS:
We liked the tapas restaurant for lunch or a snack.

PELICANOS:
We ate lunch there and did not like it. The cheese on the pizza was a weird consistency and did not melt enough. It was not cooked enough.

ROYAL COFFEE HOUSE:
We walked over to the coffee house in the morning and had our coffee outside before breakfast.

Italian Restaurant at Sister Resort (can not remember the name): I would not bother going to this restaurant. The caprese salad was good and the appetizer pizza was pretty good. The tenderloin dish I ordered was inedible. (It was recommended by the waiter.) The cheesecake had a strange consistency and taste.

DRINKS:
I was hoping for frozen drinks made with fresh fruit, but that was not available. If you want better liquor in your drink, you need to ask for it. The liquor at the pool bars is low quality, you can find better quality liquor at the other bars. We enjoyed "Peach Combers", "Mango Tangos" and Pina Coladas. The soft drinks are Coke products which was disappointing for Pepsi fans.

Excursion:
We had a great time on the Cozumel Bar Hop! We took a ferry over to Cozumel (very turbulent). The Cozumel Bar Hop was a "tour" of the "wild" side of Cozumel with a stop at 4 bars on beautiful beaches. I will write a separate review for the bar hop.

I will add some pictures to the review in a few days.

Overall, I would recommend the Royal PDC to others.

Room Tip: Oceanfront on the 3rd floor. We had room 532 and it was a great location near the ocean and the mai...
Plainville, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

1. Lovely staff, everyone was really friendly for the most part including bartenders.

2. Couldnt sleep, usually went to bed around 2-3am because of partying and had to wake up at 6-7am due to noise of people walking about and construction being done as well. Beds were uncomfortable also for some reason.

3. Water tasted horrible (Dont drink the water in Mexico) and the showers hot water was actually cold. Cold water was even colder.

4. 40 minutes from the hotel was decent but a good selling point are the shops and vendors 2 minutes walking distance from the hotel. Bad part is their annoying constantly whistling at you to go to their shops to buy things. Haggling is recommended outside of hotel.

5. Food tasted great but that was accompanied by many trips to the bathroom. Got there Tuesday so by Wednesday I had taken at least 20 trips to the bathroom because of persistent diarrhea. Bascially by Thursday I was drinking from bottled water and eating bread and solids. Avoided sauces and anything soft to eat although I have no idea what caused the sickness. I was talking with a few tourists and they got sick also. Seemed half the hotel had a stomach virus of some sort. Management did not admit to anything and bascially told us we got the virus before coming to the hotel. Makes sense right? It became a common sight to see people with water bottles instead of drinks in their hands.

6. Lots of water bottles (Thank God), alcohol seemed watered down, no coronas were available at the hotel.

Room Tip: Lots of construction going on, avoid those rooms closest to the site.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen and we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions
We would like to kindly emphasize about our strict procedures regarding the Cleanliness & Hygiene Control, that are followed according to the Cristal Certification, (the most important international organism to Cleanliness and Hygiene Control), assuring that all our Food & Beverages are within the safety and high quality standards. In addition, we have earned the "H" Distinction, which refers to "hygiene, confidence and security in food handling."
We are truly sorry to read that you did not experience our remarkable service and hospitality, on behalf of all of the staff at THE ROYAL Playa I would like to express my sincere apology if our service if our service did not fulfill your expectations; as we are deeply committed to assist our guests at all times and provide them with an exceptional service.
Once again thank you for your recent visit and we sincerely hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future
Portage, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at The Royal Playa del Carmen for a week in April while attending my best friends wedding. I Loved the cleanliness of the resort! The staff treated us (all) like kings and queens. The hotel maids made nightly towel arrangements with rose petals and that just tickled us to death, it added that "special" touch to just being on vacation. One night we came back to our room and they have filled our hot tub up and lit candles all around it. That is just above and beyond what we expected. The beds are so unbelievably comfortable I had to pry myself up each morning (my husband as well). The linens were soft and fluffy too.

We stayed in room 525 which had an incredible ocean front view, we also got sneak peeks into all the weddings that took place in the gazebo, and even got to hear a harp being played for one.

The food selections varied and offered a wide variety of stuff for even the pickiest of eaters (me). If I didn't like anything on the menu, I would just ask for something else and I got what I wanted each time. Even a cheeseburger from Pelicanos. I really felt like I was treated like royalty the whole time I was there.

As I stated before, my husband and I were at the Royal in celebration of my best friends wedding. The wedding day was awesome! We got our hair done in the spa and I loved mine and I think the others loved theirs as well. We were welcomed with mimosas. All we did is show the hairdresser a picture of what we wanted, and we received just that. After our hair was done and we met in a room to prepare for the ceremony, room service was delivered with margaritas, beer, cheese platter, and club sandwiches. *we ordered this but they made everything special by giving us more than what was ordered as well as additional items*. The wedding coordinator listened to all of our ideas, compliments and complaints and fixed everything just to our liking. I (the matron of honor) spoke to a worker about the isle being to narrow for all of us to fit down and within minutes it was fixed. Thats awesome! (fixed with a smile too). The ceremony and reception was awesome. The DJ played all the songs we asked for, the waitstaff brought us drink after drink and made us really enjoy ourselves, we didn't have to ask for anything.

The 24 hour recreation room was also a big hit for our party. We visited it nightly to grab some snacks, drinks, ect. Very convenient.

All in all, I say this was a great resort, great staff, and great atmosphere. They had quite a few large entertainment productions in the lobby and in the courtyard and they were awesome. Showcased some major talent!!

ONE small thing that was icky was that my husband got really sick on our last night (he doesn't consider it small but overall the vacation was great). He stayed in the room writhing in pain from his stomach which was accompanied by Not-so-nice symptoms (sweat, stomach pain, diarrhea... you get the picture--almost like food poisoning). Once we returned home his stomach was still upset for 3 days. I do not know what caused this because I was fine, but two other people from our party also got ill and from reading other reviews... they were not the only ones. I wonder what this was? It surely wasn't any kind of water related issues with us because we are seasoned vets in Mexico and steer clear of all water that isn't bottled. Something was up for sure though.

Overall, I would highly suggest this resort... compared to the neighboring resort this hotel knocked the socks off of it. It is in a fabulous location, a block away from 5th ave which is loaded with shopping and feels very safe. I had no safety concerns at all. I am happy with this vacation :)

Shrewsbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This All Inclusive hotel provided accommodation, food and service of the highest standard but in a casual and friendly manner. We had an enormous room with jacuzzi bath and some rooms have their own swim up pools. The food was excellent and the Maria Marie restaurant was unbelievable for an all inclusive package, filet mignon with foie gras one night! I would say this restaurant was comparable to a Michelin starred restaurant. The beach side restaurant Pelicanos served fresh, beautifully presented breakfast, lunch and dinner and was easily our favourite. Even a simple breakfast of granola fresh fruit and yogurt and banana smoothie was delicious. Spice is the only buffet restaurant and served an excellent variety of hot and cold dishes. Asiana, Mediterranean, Tapas and a coffee shop are also on site. Room service is excellent and very quickly delivered. The menu is not extensive but we asked if they could send a fruit smoothie and coconut ice cream and they came no problem. No service charge either. If you want a snack, there is a 24 hour lounge serving fruit, cakes, cereals, chilli etc It also has coffee, tea, cold drinks, water and help yourself alcohol. The mini bar in the room holds a good variety of non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks and is replenished daily. All is included in the AI package including premium brands. The only things that are not are fine wines, lobster and the Chefs plate restaurant. Also try Pescatori at the sister hotel. There is a good spa that is worth a visit if only for a sauna. Gym is ok, could be bigger. Beach towels are plentiful and you can have as many as you like. There is a certain amount of reserving sun beds but not enough to make it a problem.The cleanliness in the hotel is excellent and the pool areas are kept immaculate. The service at this hotel is amazing and all the staff go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Two lovely beach waitresses, Ruth and Eva were our particular favourites, Arbey at the pool bar was a star, Mario Lopez our beach butler was brilliant, Lucas in Pelicanos, Theresa on reception and the entertainment team, Dani, Victor and Alehandro. These are just some of the staff that made our stay special but the service was impeccable in all areas of the hotel. Would we go back? Definitely. Would go back tomorrow if we could.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!