“"Maria & Gilles - Great vacation February 2013 at the Royal"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

Save Saved
You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Ottawa, Canada
“"Maria & Gilles - Great vacation February 2013 at the Royal"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in all areas - this was our 6th year visiting and as always had an excellent time.
There are many areas that make the Royal a great hotel.
* The entertainment team who put everything into making everyone feel engaged with their warmth and attentiveness. We would like to give personal thank you's and recognition to
Victor, Danny, Katie, Jesus, Azu, Amado, Carlos, Mayer and Alex.
We congratulate their manager whom as in previous years has managed to put together an excellent team.
*The food is excellent and all the restaurant staff is always very professional and attentive with no exceptions.
* The rooms are clean and the room service is excellent.
Once again an awsome holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent the ones facing the pool are a bit more noisy than those facing the back are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

8,587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,980)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a very nice hotel - very decent food, nice landscape, good service, but for us it was just an ok stay. We are not spoiled people, but we visited some other resorts as well, and we expected something really special from this trip (according to other reviews).
Cons for my family and friends:
Rooms have cherry furniture, which is together with burgundy room interior (chair, blankets) seemed pretty dark.
Drinks tasted all the same, as if they all had the same alcohol base, but just different colors. Staff's greeting - putting a hand on the heart - seemed very superficial.
Sushi at Asiana were not good at all; soy sauce was dilluted with water and that made the whole dining experience there pretty bad.
Plastic bracelets are just awful. I don't know about other guests, but I hated mine... It is hard and scratchy; the management should offer their guests ones made from softer materials. It is very hard to wear something like this for a week.
The exeperience of our group with Lomas Travel was very bad... Of course, it is not hotel's fault that Lomas Travel failed big time to provide transportation, but in our opinion, if a hotel wants their guests have a good experience there they should be at least a little bit more involved in the business of the company that transports their guests. None of the hotel staff wanted to help. And, Lomas management, if any of you happen to read this review, please hire people who can speak a little bit better English. I do love Mexico and have a decent command of Spanish, but, unfortunately, I cannot articulate correctly about business matters. I am a guest after all.
Pros:
Food at the Spice buffet is quite good. We enjoyed it.
The beach is very nice. You can walk about 2.5 miles to the left (east?) and have a great workout.
The gym is good and clean. I enjoyed the classes.

Again, the hotel is very nice, but for us it was just nice, nothing special. We stayed in nicer hotels, which we payed the same price for. We love traveling to different locations all the time and rarely go back to the same hotel. Sometimes we do though. This hotel we will not stay in again.
Note: many reviewers loved the pool and entertainment/activities staff. We don't care about pools. We love the beach; we missed it all. So can't increase my rating based on that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Don't drink the water! Always drink bottled water, even to brush your teeth. I drank only what did not have ice in the drink, ie wine, beer, coffee. I also did not eat anything raw such as raw fruit and/or vegetables. Also, because I had the lingering affects of a chronic sinus infection I did not eat any of the fish. I know this sounds like I was punishing myself, but I actually ate and drank very well. I also was 1 of only 2 in our group of 10 people that did not get sick while on the trip. The other person that did not get sick got hurt the first day so was really more or less out of commission. I am not referring to hang over sick, I am referring to spending a lot of time around the john sick. Enough said about that.

I would NOT recommend the snorkeling and/or deep sea fishing excursions. A BIG ripoff! Way too expensive for what you get which is an dumpy old boat, guides that don't speak English and NO beverages and/or snacks and beat up equipment. You have to be shuttled to the boat dock 25 miles away and maybe they show up later to pick you up maybe they don't.Total Waste!!

I would recommend taking in the night shows in the lobby. They are free, entertaining and very well done.

We walked into Playa del Carmen on 5th street which is about 10+ blocks of shops, eateries and so forth. Everything under the sun is for sale. You want to dicker on the price as almost all vendors are use to that and will come down on their price. You have to realize most of the merchandise is not high quality, so dickering is part of the fun.

The main pool has a lot of activities going on during the day from water aerobics, games, fashion shows, water volleyball and 'how to demonstrations'. Walk the beach. It is really pretty, fun and a fabulous place to people watch. Wow! Oh, Use suntan lotion often so you don't get burnt. The daily breeze is welcomed but tends to mask how hot the sun is.

As for where to eat. There are two buffet establishments. I preferred the El Mediterraneo for breakfast. The best we found for dinner was Maria Marie. You need to make reservations and should plan to dress semi nice but it is well worth it. We ate there twice. The Pelicanos is pretty good, but you can order the same thing two days and it will not be the same quality. Just hit and miss.

Finally take a PILE of $1 bills. You really need to tip just about everyone there. The Help works hard to make your stay worthwhile and most deserve it. You will figure out who does and who does not.

Room Tip: We opted for the Junior Suites (not ocean view). We were on the 4th floor facing the main court yard...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I want to mention these employees name that made this stay a wonderful memory. Marcel the bartender by the main lobby. Christopher our waiter @ the beach! Jesus bartender @ the main lobby, then transferred to the Chinese Restaurant, no matter where he was he gave excellent service. All three gentlemen are an asset to the Royal Hotel. The hotel is beautiful, but there are alot of beautiful hotels, so service has to be your top priority and that is what we got. And there was also our cleaning lady that was absolutely wonderful, I cannot remember her name. The gentlemen that came to fix our hot tub, which I cannot remember his name either. There were so many employees in different restaurants that went above and beyond that contribute to the good memories of this place. Didier Vargas, in the reception area made sure we were moved to a quieter room (construction was going on when we went) & got us the best view of the playa, so nice, also stayed on top of getting our hot tub working correctly. The stores and other restaurants are right by the hotel, no taxi is needed, all walking distance, this was great!

Room Tip: HigherCorner suites facing the inner pool has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My friends and I (a group of 6 ladies 40s-50s-60s) stayed at THE ROYAL from Feb. 9 to Feb. 16. This was a really great vacation. The check-in went smoothly, our rooms were beautiful and all located close to one another. We loved the ambiance at the pool even though there are no sun umbrellas at all. The service on the beach in the cabanas was really good; we did found though that the cabanas were all too close to one another. It would have been nice also to have some sun huts on the beach so that we can take a long chair and isolate us from the crowd. The week we were there, the ocean was quite agitated by wind and waves; 2 of our friends are not good swimmers so we were'nt able to be all together in the ocean at the same time. I have to say that there were a few rocks here and there and therefore the ocean did not compare at all to my last experience in Negril, Jamaica. The food was good, the activities numerous and the personnel quite charming. I love that every person working in this hotel would acknowledge me by putting their right hand on their heart. To **Victor**, Katie, Yorge, Asu, Ivonne, Alberto, Armando, Jeronimo, Antonio and all the others, thank you for making my vacation a pleasant experience. I loved the service box in my room and the turndown service. The hotel store had a good variety of gifts and let me tell you, we shopped like there was no tomorrow. It turned out that some of the items in the store were better priced than items on 5th avenue. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends. Lorraine from Ottawa.

Room Tip: I was on second floor, room 232, view on garden, pool and ocean; very good room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I have been to several all-inclusive resorts (Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic) and a couple cruises and by far The Royal was the absolute best. The people, facility, food, beach were first class! The staff was very friendly, helpful and anything that was needed was provided promptly with a smile and sincerity.

All the rooms are beautiful suites that are large, luxurious and very well maintained. You select a time for maid service to clean your room each day, time for turn down service and what aroma you prefer at bedtime. Our lovely room attendant was Odilia Maldonado Camarista and she did an outstanding job taking care of our room and entertaining us with beautiful swans, hearts or flamingos on our bed made from towels and flowers. We splurged on a couples massage at the spa and had wonderful treatment from Paty and Evelia that made my knees weak.

All the restaurants were wonderful, even Spice which is buffet and not normally something that we are interested in, however, their varied selection and also fresh made for you stations along with the wonderful service, kept us coming back.

To select a favorite restaurant at The Royal is hard to do as all have delicious food, well presented with wonderful service but we would have to say Maria/Maria stole our hearts and of course stomachs. We ate two dinners at Maria's and had the good fortune to have Claudio serve us both times with great service. On both occasions, the head chef at Maria's, Fabian, came over to our table to discuss our enjoyment of our food and also was interested in how the dishes pleased the eye.

The many large pools and beautiful beach offered something for everyone. Activities were to be enjoyed or a quiet area to read a book and unwind. Whatever your selection, there as always was great service offering any drink desired. Christopher served us around the main pool and he became accustomed to our likes and would even call us by name.

Would love to come back again next year!

February 2 - 9, 2013

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Algona, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our 6th year at this resort. We highly recomend The Royal, the location is great close to town, beautiful beaches which we enjoy walking every morning. The activities and entertainment are very entertaining. The food there is some of the best, The Asiana was one of our favorite restaurantes, Camilo has been one of our favorite waiters for years. Chef Gonzalo is a fabulous cook. On warm mornings we enjoyed the Pelicano for coffee, Lucus and Felipa always were friendly and made sure we had wonderful food and drinks. There is great food and drinks at all the resturaunts. We enjoy being around the pool and meeting new frriends and enjoy the activities they have at the pool. Thank You for a great time at the Royal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!