“Comment regarding negative reviews:” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

Save Saved
You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Comment regarding negative reviews:”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I have gone to Playa del Carmen two times a year for the past 7 years. We have stayed at the Royal 7 times in the last 7 years and I have never had any problems. In fact we have stayed at 7 other resorts and none of them I liked as well as the Royal. The Royal is one of the best properties in the Playa del Carmen/Playacar area. Some people are just not happy any where they go, if anyone has problems with the Royal, then they are
just unhappy people looking for something to complain about. I always look forward to going here and after the last
resort we stayed in in December 2012, we have decided to always go back to the Royal...we just booked another
trip in April 2013. Standards in Mexico are not as strict as in US so you just have to be careful of what you eat. We
have never been ill at the Royal, but we also still avoid fruits, salads and uncooked foods just to be safe. We are big
fruit and salad eaters but we never take that chance as the first few times we did get sick in Mexico. The property is
gorgeous, the rooms are
amazing(just dont upgrade to "OceanView" as you will more than likely not have a ocean view) the beds and pillows are comfy, I love their products that they supply in the room and the best restaurant is the Asiana....the thai lamb chops are to die for and I do not usually like lamb. Do not be afraid to book at this hotel. I consider myself to be pretty picky and I love this place...like I said I have been to 7 other 4-5 star resorts in Playa
and none of them compare to the Royal. No trip is going to be perfect and yes, there is going to be an issue every now and then but I really felt I needed to defend the negative reviews since I have been to several other properties in the area and I can honestly say that the Royal is my favorite. There are two other hotels that I might go back to if I got a really amazing price on the package but they usually fall in the same price range as Royal which would always be my first choice. Our last visit to the Royal was in March 2012.

Room Tip: Reguest a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

8,581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,978)
Cancun
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Loved their Asiana restaurant, quality place with everything to be happy about. no complains, great relax with great services etc
Oh yes.. one small "complain"..... their in room jacuzzi is sooooo big, it takes sometime until it filled

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Neuilly-sur-Seine, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just back from vacation and based on TripAdvisor ratings we have booked 6 nights stay in this hotel... === BIG MISTAKE!!! ===

I am not sure who is exactly writing good comments in TripAdvisor for this hotel... May be origin have to be investigated... This hotel almost spoiled all our vacation. For this price you expect a much better service. Don't do our mistake and select another place to stay...
In summary (otherwise the review would be really long and detailed):
- Hotel have charged our credit card twice (!!!) and said us about it at our check out only. After 2 weeks continuous argument with hotel and our bank we are still not refunded! They cannot process a simple credit card transaction and it's been a week we are having the same poor excuse and feedback. If anyone is reading this from hotel management - this is really not acceptable!
- I already saw comment about food poisoning ... so the same case here! After eating in one of their best restaurant "Maria Marie" I had the worth food poisoning, 24 hours was not able to walk! In spite of the fact that hotel claims to have a doctor on site during the day - they asked us to pay 80 USD to make the doctor come! Amazing! consider that they have poisoned me at the first place! As the additional note: we never had any food poisoning anywhere else in Mexico after. and we have visit 4 different places and three other hotels during our two weeks vacation.
- 24 h Room Service is really bad... don't even try it. It is dangerous for your health i would say.
- The facility would not have to be classified 5*, rooms are OK but very far form expectations. Humidity is VERY high in the room. Something shall be wrong with their air-conditioning.... Impossible to sleep well.
- At the arrival we also discovered that there is a huge nightclub on the beach... so several nights you could here techno music till 3 am...
- Very poor price / quality this hotel do not deserve such high price
- There is no private beach at all... so anyone can get on the hotel beach and set up just in front of you ....
- Overall I have to say that restaurant service (not food!) and housekeeping service are quite good. People are nice and friendly. Can not say the same about concierge....Normal concierge is very unprofessional and not friendly. Romance Concierge is quite OK (European ladies), but not very efficient .... out check in took at least 1 hour... It was difficult to believe...

In summary - if you want a good vacation, book another hotel. You will save money and avoid negative experience.

Room Tip: Tips... select another hotel!
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Overall, it's well (suntan) oiled machine.

A few random things I recall between doses of una mas bebida:

The airport shuttle with Best Day travel was efficient and confusion-free.

T-shirt and trinket shopping is an easy 5 minute walk from the hotel. Plenty of local bars and restaurants as well if you get bored on-site.

The beach area was ample and clean, but a brisk surf kept most people close to shore. Other days, I’m sure it’s more inviting. The pool area is quite large, with plenty of elbow room for all. Early morning brought out the lap swimmers.

Check-in did go on and on and on as they meticulously explained every little detail and facet of the property. I had requested an upper floor, but none were available. They offered to move us after the first night, but we stayed put due to a condition known as equatorial inertia. All but one night was quiet – when our neighbors above played street hockey with the wood furniture on the tile floors. Overall, the room was clean, quite spacious, and comfortable. Maid service was good. The pillow menu seemed a little hokey at first, but was well appreciated later on.

No issues with a timeshare / club pitch.

Music by the pool was somewhat erratic. It would start, continue for a few songs, then go silent for a few minutes, then start again. A couple of dance songs caught my ear, so I asked what CD was playing? “…I don’t know what CD it is, but I’ll make you a copy for $15…” I appreciate capitalism as much as the next guy, but $15 for 2 songs I like, and 10 songs I don’t, was a little opportunistic.

After 10+ drinks and beer, I was still searching for a little buzz, and wondering if the barkeeps were pouring with the cap still on? The poolside waitresses were clairvoyant knowing when it was time to refill the radiator.

We ate at several restaurants on-site, and were pleased with all of them. The overriding emphasis is on style and presentation, not maximizing calories per plate. So when we needed quantity, the Spice buffet filled our plate(s).

The “24 Hour” lounge hiding behind the ping pong and pool tables just off the main lobby was handy for a quick, mid-day nacho fix (-it-yourself.)

Overall, the staff earned 5 stars for service - not a grouch to be found anywhere.

The well-maintained rooms and property gets 5 stars as well.

No hesitations recommending The Royal PDC to others.

Sainte-Julie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We really enjoyed our honeymoon at the Royal, even if we did not have a really good start... After travelling all day and many delays, we finally arrived at the Royal around 3:15PM (initially, we were supposed to get there around 11:30 AM). Upon our arrival, they took us to the Royal romance concierge to do our check-in (instead of the regular check-in that takes about 5 minutes). Too bad, a couple was already in there.... we had to wait for about 20 minutes and when the lady got out, she came to us to mention that another couple was before us... Hungry and thirsty, we had to wait for another 25 minutes. We ended up with a glass of sparkling wine after a few more minutes. When we finally met the concierge for our "royal" check-in, we realized that even if it was supposed to be the Royal treatment, it sounded like "check-in for dummies". They explained everything and it took forever to finally get out, after being said that our room was not even ready, that we should go have something to eat and come back. We finally ended up in our room around 5:00PM. I have to say that the room was great and the set up for our honeymoon was amazing. Was it worth the wait..... not quite sure yet. It was too late for the sun, beach and pool.

I know I sound negative but afterwards, everything started to be perfect. The restaurants are very good, the service is amazing. We enjoyed everything else. The location is perfect and we really had a good time. There are lots of different activities and the site is just amazing. The beach is fabulous.

A special mention for the sports and entertainment team. They are working hard to entertain us and keep us smiling. Victor, Jesus and Carlos are just amazing and Azu is a terrific leader.

The only thing missing would be a snackbar around the pool where you can grab a little something to eat and have it relaxed on your chair with a drink.

So, bad start but very good trip !

kansas city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Royal. As others have stated the resort is nice and has a great location. The service is overall pretty good with some exceptions. The main problem was the food although it didnt taste bad of the eight people in our party 6 got food poisoning. Watch out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We just returned from one week at The Royal and we were not disappointed. The service was fantastic. We a an ocean view swim-up room and loved it! We had bar service right there at our private pool. Mich sand Andrea were fantastic! They seemed to know exactly when we needed a drink. They would suddenly appear out of no where. They were so friendly and worked so hard! They were also great down at the beach as well. Overall the food was pretty good. We ate out quite a bit on fifth avenue as we wanted something different at times. Adan and Jose were great at the Spice. They were so friendly and ready to help. I also had my nails done at the spa and Gilda was great there. Stephany made our check out go very smoothly as well.

The only complaints I had were we did not get the actual room that we had booked online which was fine as the one we got was only three doors down and was the same thing. I also agree that the time share people at the resort were a nuisance. They were like vultures everytime you walked through the lobby.

We have stayed at quite a few all inclusive resorts in the area and the one thing that I did miss that was different from the other resorts that we stayed at outside of Playa del Carmen was the lushness and the wildlife you see at the resorts that aren't in the city. The grounds were immaculate here and the are always cleaning and working hard at the resort but you don't have the jungle feeling here.
I would probably return here again because of the great service and the location but I am not sure it is my favourite resort that I have stayed at.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!