“...so nice I've been there TWICE!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

Save Saved
You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
“...so nice I've been there TWICE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

....what can I say.... 2 visits...2 awesome vacations!!!
I love the ride from Cancun!....check-in is a breeze!!!
I love the friendly safe feeling....'HOLA'
THE ROOMS are beautiful...COMFY BEDS & HOT TUB!!!!! enough said!
THE FOOD is amazing!!! so many choices...I still think about the sushi from ASIANA...the best EVA!!! you can dress up or go casual!
THE DRINKS are DELISH! never drank so many Pina Coladas!
and lastly THE BEACH.......FIST PUMP!!!!!! perfect sand and water!!!! my favorite....right up there with the sushi!!!....
I LOVE this place so much I recommended it to one of my friends for their honeymoon....I was so confident they would enjoy it....and of course...THEY DID!!!!!!!!
I look forward to my 3rd trip!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,229)
Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The service is subpar and I would expect them to attempt to rush to defend their "reputation" more than attempt to actually resolve any problems. We ended up getting food poisoning early in our trip at the hotel and they were more interested in defending how good of a hotel they were as opposed to admitting any fault or showing any sympathy for the problems they caused us. They are experts at blame game and finding excuses. They are more interested in their reputation than to actually do right by their guests. They never offered to send a doctor at their expense when the hotel was clearly the cause of our illness instead they wanted to continue to claim how great their food prep system was. This does little to help any guests who are rolling in pain with their vacations ruined. The attitude is much different at their other location in Cancun where they bend over backwards to make you happy and are more concerned with you as their guest than their "reputation." The Cancun reputation is well earned while this location are clearly made up of in an attempt to compete with actual good hotels in Playa del Carmen. Anyone else get food poisoning at this hotel or dealt with this same holier than thou type of attitude?

Room Tip: Don't stay here, if you want to go with Royal stick with the Royal in Cancun
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynn D, General Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to our beautiful THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen and for taking the time to let us know your comments and feedback. We will like you to know that The Royal Playa del Carmen treasures and cares for each and every single review and comment expressed by our valuable guests.
Nevertheless we must express our disagreement with a few accusations and what we consider out of line remarks expressed on your review. Please note that our Hotel was granted the 1st place nationwide award for food hygiene and management. Also all of our restaurants have earned the “DISTINTIVO H” award which certifies that we comply with the highest food hygiene standards. Therefore we consider your comments regarding food poison totally inappropriate and out of context, as they do not reflect a the reality of our hotel.
We are truly sorry to read that you did not experience our remarkable service and hospitality, on behalf of all of the staff at THE ROYAL Playa I would like to express my sincere apology if our service did not fulfill your expectations; as we are deeply committed to assist our guests at all times and provide them with an exceptional service.
Once again thank you for your recent visit and we sincerely hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I thought I would wait a good month to see if I would cool down after the dreaded trip, but I haven't. This was our 3rd time vacationing at this resort and 2 prior years spent at the sister resort The Royal in Cancun. We always get the walk out swim up oceanfront suite even though it costs more, it's worth it to us.

I had e-mailed weeks before our arrival to the chief concierge to see if we could reserve the same room as always because of the extended sunning area around the pool. We received an e-mail back saying they would do their best to reserve that room for us. 2 days before arrival, I tried the online check in and it wasn't available. The following day, still wasn't available. I phoned the resort and were told that room was occupied for another week. We ended up with the room next door with far less sun time. Oh well :) . . . we're on vacation . . it's ok . . . we will just use 2 chairs across from our room like we always do . . . . not so much!!!

What an unpleasant experience it was, running into an arrogrant group of 28 guests from a Canadian wedding party. Their bullying tactics caused two women who were just following the sun to move from our beautiful swim out suite to an inside swim out suite with no view, to the sister resort The Royal in Cancun. All over 2 lounge chairs!!!! These were adults in their mid 50's trying to look early 40's, behaving like spoiled, young teens. Somehow they thought they booked the entire resort. I guess lack of hockey has made the average Canadian over aggressive.

We have made great friends over the years and even met some on this trip. We have NEVER had a bad experience until this one. The staff and management couldn't have treated us better, but by that time we moved resorts - our 6 days were pretty much ruined. All I can say to the group is you're lucky we were in Mexico and not in the States :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks in Feb 2011 and have booked for another 2 weeks in Feb 2013. Since then stayed at Barcelo, Decameron, Paradise and Princess - all good, but not up to Real standards! Our other trips have been 7 to 10 days however as we have decided to treat ourselves to 14 days again, the choice was a known versus known average or the unknown. We're confident that the choice we've made is the right one based on our previous stay.
We love the access to 5th Ave - during the day, it's tourist central but at night, it becomes a quaint Mexican village. Music, dancing, dining - not the aggressive vendors that you see during the day time. The ambiance is fun and safe - prices are better at night when the resort tourist outside of PDC have gone.
RDPC is a gem. It's not a huge resort thus are able to meet other guests that you can connect with (we're still in touch with people we met in 2011). The resorts intimacy is part of it's ambiance! You have to play the pool towel game as there are limit chairs on the sunny side of the pool area if your wanting sun all day. For those that burn easy, the shady side is better as this resort has limited umbrellas or pallapas.
No need too book the ala carts. They have pagers for the restaurants to coordinate. During the wait, a drink will help set the mood. Food at the buffets was excellent, and the ala carts was Devine. The service we had was exceptional and tips provided appreciated. If you are there for an extended stay or duplicate any option, they will likely remember you and wii strive to make the experience exceptional. Our issues that we had were with other guests versus with the people who were the to make our stay memorable.
This ones not the cheapest but it's a 5 star in our books -worth every penny. Please, don't tell your friends as we want to keep this gem to ourselves!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is my first time at this resort. It will NOT be my last. Why would you want to stay anywhere else? You have it all. Great hotel, great service, great location. They aren't kidding when they say all inclusive. You even have liquor dispensers in your room and fully stocked mini fridge with water, pops, and juice. ( all included).

Our room was great. PLENTY of room for 2 people and always clean. The turn down service they offer is a MUST!

The staff/service was beyond great. I did not encounter 1 person that did not go out of their way to make sure we were happy and cared for. Make sure you bring money around to tip them ( they deserve it) and I think most of the guests that I saw did not do that enough.

A few of my favorite staff:

Sports & Entertainment: Danny Boy, Alejandro, Azu. They keep you busy and active and laughing. They love to have a great time and make sure that you are entertained :) Truly a pleasure to be around everyday. I Miss them already!

Servers: I think they move around a bit and are not always at the same restaurant. Felix ( he was working at the tapas restaurant when we were there) Benjamin, Sergio ( had them both in a few different restaurants)

Location: Can't get any better. You are on the beach and right out of the resort is all of the action on 5th Ave.

I wish we didn't have to leave. I Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We liked RPDC on a previous trip. The location is better than their sister property in Cancun, but everything else is probably better in Cancun. The beach in Cancun is beautiful but not really swimmable. Restaurant food at the PRDC was fairly good for an AI. I'm amazed that the management, who responds to so many positive reviews by thanking the reviewers, totally ignore the reviews which are less enthusiastic about the property. Why not address the problems with WiFi and food complaints. One review made me want to cancel our reservations. According to that review the workers inside the resort confirmed that new people in charge are trying to cut costs. As an example, reviewers, who recently stayed at the property, complained that the "French" restaurant has a different menu. Cheap cuts of meat instead of previously available premium steaks and rack of lamb. Constant problems with WiFi would also ruin many vacations. If the manager believes in customer service than please respond to such reviews. They should be addressing negative reviews instead of limiting their presence on TA by constantly thanking positive reviewers. Yes, when it comes to food our tastes vary. But, how about telling us if filet cuts and rack of lamb is still available on regular basis. If not, why was the menu changed. Do they really use more canned products/mixes instead of fresh juices? Is premium alcohol being hidden behind counters? Now, that would be customer service. When greed takes over sooner or later the business will suffer. Somehow I don't thinks we'll be getting the concrete response. Maybe some generalities, without answering a question, if we are lucky. Lack of response to negative reviews by their manager in this forum shows lack of class and speaks volumes.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynn D, General Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for addressing your concerns on Trip Advisor and for giving us the opportunity to answer your valuable questions. Please rest assured that THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen takes each and every single one of our valuable guests feedback and comments very seriously. As you accurately mention we like to thank all of our guests for posting positive comments and for sharing their unique experiences at our beautiful resort. However we are also committed in attending all of the feedback and improvement suggestions by not only answering comments but also by sharing them with our team and guaranteeing that actions are being taken to achieve our guests satisfaction. I can assure you that management and staff's objective is to exceed our guests expectations and to provide exceptional vacation experiences. I would also like to inform you that improvements have already been made to offer a better WIFI at all areas of the resort and that chefs and bartenders are constantly developing new, creative and delicious recipes to amaze and pamper all of our dear guests. Of course that we will always be willing to accommodate special needs and likes and to offer the original dishes that have been offered from our opening, as our many repetitive guests have shared on their Trip Advisor postings. We sincerely hope to have the privilege to host you once again so you can experience the level of service and personalized attention that we always provide and to provide you with an amazing holiday at THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am still on the property and have had some great moments and some less stellar...

The property is beautiful and on a great beach, great rooms however there is a lot of construction going on in the property right now and we were not given a warning about this when we booked our reservation, painting all around the larger pool and loud construction in the lobby. Food across the property had been good especially Asiana and Spice except for Maria Marie that was subpar at best (bordering on inedible) we booked reservations at Chef's Plate tonight but out reservation has since been "lost" so we decided to just do without. Service on the beach and check in was slow but restaurant and activites staff has been great (VIctor, Jesus, Lena etc.) We upgraded to an oceanview room however would have been better staying in the original room as we can only see a sliver of the beach. The shows in the lobby have been really good but on this property there is really nothing to do after about 10:30pm, if you are looking for any nightlife you will need to leave the property. I am hoping the stay gets better in the coming days (massage and cozumel trip tomorrow) but as a travel agent I would be hesitant to book a client here currently for the price that is being asked.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!