“Very worth the money!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

Save Saved
You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 198 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Very worth the money!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I came to the Royal to relax and forget about everything and I have! This is an all-inclusive that really means ALL!
The food is excellent, especially in Pelicanos, but I haven't tried all the restaurants yet. Room service has no surcharge, and though I didn't want to be bothered with the turn-down service in the evening, I'm now glad I did! Not just chocolates but rose petals and a oil infuser lit to scent the room. Of course, you have all the choices when you check in, (even down to the pillow type and scent of oil in the infuser), so try them. They have a "magic box" to put your dishes in when you're done, so the dirty ones don't sit in the hall, and they can get them without disturbing you. They also have a signal on the beach cabanas, for you to get the bar service to come. These ideas are original.
The staff are all friendly, cheerful, and professional in their duties. The dining staff know all the rules for service, and whenever you pass a staff member, they put their right hand over their heart as a kind of "salute of sincerity" if you will. Most endearing!
I splurged for a massage and manicure in the SpaAzul, (very reasonable prices, but not included in the price for the stay of course). My therapist, Lucy, found knots in my body I didn't know I had. Her expertise and experience beats all the massage therapists I've had in Canada (several). I also decided at the last minute to have acrylic nails rather than a regular manicure, and my esthetician Alicia, didn't blink and eye. Despite the language barrier (her English is better than my Spanish) she was warm, friendly and efficient at the same time.
This was my first trip to Mexico and I have to say I was a bit worried about safety, as a woman travelling alone. I felt safe and pampered enough in this resort to really relax (and the hammock on my patio was a big help, too!
I'm looking forward to my next trip here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

8,060 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,795)
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The service everywhere was amazing, the employees were all great, the hotel itself was gorgeous! I was there Nov 15-20 for my best friends wedding. The wedding was perfect, the reception was right on the beach and everything was planned out perfectly. Some of the employees that I thought were outstanding were Danny Boy (activities), Emilio (bartender), Alicia (hair dresser), Toto (bartender), Vicky (Pool waitress), and so many others. With most vacations, I'm usually ready to go home after a few days, but I most certainly did not want to leave this resort!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the resort for our honeymoon. Although check in took longer than I would have liked everything else was perfect. We had a 1 bedroom ocean view suite. The room was fantastic! We were always well stocked on snacks and whatever drinks we requested. Room service was prompt and the staff was attentive and professional. We did the dinner on the beach, unfortunately it rained halfway through but the staff quickly moved us inside. The lobster was delicious, the whole meal was. We had dinner at Chefs Plate for the Italian menu and it was so so good. Asiana was one of our favorites, we went there twice. We both got massages one afternoon, i wish we had more time to get another one that week. I can not say enough about the staff, I wish I remembered everyone's names. However, Gerado (head concierge I believe) was always a welcoming face. He was able to answer any question that we had ( about the hotel, places to shop, etc ), he always remembered us and asked how we were and how things were going. He truly is the best! The one negative I have to say is that our room came with a cabana on the beach and they are identified with room numbers on them. The hotel should check once in awhile that the right people are in the right cabanas. One day we found our cabana was taken over by a couple didn't like theirs so they took other people's that were in "prime" spots. They eventually moved but seemed annoyed that we asked them.
We missed the Royal from the moment we stepped on the van to go to the hotel. We plan on going back in March with my parents, brother, and his wife - we can't wait!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We traveled here with 7 other friends just last week and I knew it was going to be nice, but I was pleasantly surprised by many things. My wife, Beach Bum travel agent Lisa Zwissler, chose this resort for our group of friends because she knew it would fit the varied desires of our large group. What I didn't expect is that it would be so good at all of them.

Number one, the service was incredible. Armando, the doorman, shuttle expert and all around helper, was amazing, he knew our whole group by name and helped us many times. The food was absolutely amazing, I love Mexican food, and theirs was great, but the seafood, tapas, and even the steaks were incredible. One thing not to miss is Asiana. It has great sushi, Japanese and Thai food in a very cool atmosphere. The beach and spa were good, not the best I've been to, but very nice, same for the pool and swim up bars, not the best, but very good. The rooms were great, we had an awesome beach/pool view and it had a large balcony, very good for sitting out and reading in the evenings or getting room service for breakfast.

The one thing I really enjoyed that I didn't expect was the location. Playa del Carmen is a very metropolitan beachfront city with shops and entertainment right outside of the front door of the resort, my one regret is that we didn't spend more time checking it out. The tree lined, brick paved streets are perfect for walking around after dinner and grabbing a drink or checking out a band.

The only downsides in my mind were the lack of a proper coffeehouse on property, they use automatic machines for the lattes and cappucino's, and only two red wines are offered on the house and they are both Tempranillo. Both are small complaints.

This was a very fun vacation, we were there with a great group of friends and I can say with certainty that all nine of us had a great time and were very satisfied with the resort.

Bossier City, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed at the Royal October 20th thru the 27th. Stayed in an ocean front room. The room was great, the food was great, and the service was great. This was our 6th stay at the Royal and it just keeps getting better. We'll be back in the spring.

I want to mention a few of the great employees. Nancy Perez Real Club Consierge who is a friend away from home, Alex Perez who makes sure you are happy around the pool and beach, Geraldo and Hector who bust their butts hauling luggage, "One" who works in the break room and always gives me a quick spanish lesson, Ramiro "Gimpy" in the coffee shop gives great service and deserves more tips.

Matt Owens

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
District Heights, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Myself and 8 other ladies traveled to Mexico for my birthday Nov 9-13 I must say the resort was beautiful. But the staff turned most of us off. We were there to have fun but were always told to be quiet and were being watched by security. We were the nice group of girls that had the saying "Naked on the beach". The food was good especially at Asiana. The drinks were weak and they advertised premium brands that they did not really have. Last call was at 11:45 p.m. every night. If you wanted more drinks or food you had to fix it yourself in the 24 all-inclusive lounge. There is no night life at this resort so if that's what you looking for it's not going to happen. The entertainment ended around 10:30 p.m. The tours that were offered were great and at a reasonable price.
As the birthday girl my room was not on the same side as all the others which was a disappointment.

The wait staff at Spice was great and the Lobby Bar. Thank you Jorge!!! He kept us happy with the tequila boom booms.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel rooms were very nice, clean, spacious but had a very long walk to the beach being its a big resort. They came and cleaned our rooms daily and had turn down service which was nice. There always seem, to be confusion in the lobby and it took some time to get your question asked. The pool was very nice but always crowded. Same with the beach. It was an OK experience and I did enjoy myself exploring other areas in Mexico but will keep to the smaller resorts.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!