“Hola mexico” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Playa del Carmen

You added The Royal Playa del Carmen to your Saves list
The Royal Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Constituyentes Avenue #2, Playa del Carmen 77780, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Columbia, South Carolina
“Hola mexico”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

First trip to mexico for a wedding. The resort was fine, I could do without the construction but it didn't really bother me or my wife cause we weren't in the room much and left the room in the morning before it started. The purpose of this review is to give a shoutout to KATIE, thanks for helping me make bracelets. I was surprised how small the beach area was but we stayed by the pool most of the time so nothing really was bad, it's just doesn't compare to some of the all inclusive resorts I've been to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,357)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at the Royal for 5 day and wish it could have been longer. I really don’t understand the negative reviews. From the moment will arrived we were treated wonderfully. We booked a Jr. Suite and were put in the building in the back and we enjoyed it very much. The room was beautiful and very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The staff go out of there way to make sure you are taken care of and couldn’t be friendlier.
We found the food to be great and you have so many dining choices you can’t go wrong. You also will not be disappointed with all the bars this place has. Someone would really have to work hard at have a bad time here. You really get your moneys worth here. The only negative thing we could say about the resort was that the entertainment wasn’t very good. BTW the construction that some people are referring to was in the back of the building and really isn’t that disruptive at all.

Banff National Park, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have never had to Wright a review for any of the 12 resorts that I have stayed at, so far. Mostly because, I understand the complexities of trying to make everyone happy all the time. There wasn’t really enough reason to voice an opinion until I experienced this place, The Royal Dump. The lack of management is clearly prominent...!
A complete dump, a Royal dump, there is no way that this place could ever be called a 5 star resort I have been in many of them and some of the better ones, I could only give it’s a 3 star, at best.
Other than its location in playa Carmen, this is a terrible place, with unhappy waiters, snooty front desk, poor service, and in some restaurants… no service, not at all. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the people of Mexico always have, but something makes employees perform and do what their told to do.
The concept is to sell, sell, and sell, yet at the same time not fulfilling the basics contractual agreement of a weeks stay in a 5 star resort.
Daily, phoning our room, and at the pools we had more staff constantly bothering us to spend money in there spas other than waiters asking for drink service, you cant get a towel with out having staff in your face to sell tours, spa, snorkelling, etc. believe it, the common activities that are normally free, in every resort I’ve been at, here they want to get money out of you.
And the Gold Card time share scam, taking up too 90 minutes of your holiday to screw you out of more money so that the next time you come back you can get a better room if you’re lucky.
At check in they try to get us to upgrade to the ocean front! I didn’t order it when I booked my vacation! Although I Had booked and paid for an ocean view, not what anyone could realistically call an ocean view, being a quarter mile away? And that’s what we get for not upgrading, not taking the offer and paying more. Now that’s a scam!
Our room was small I am not exaggerating, small; it was a bedroom off someone else’s suite. With a letter in the room welcoming another couple to there stay, dated for that day. Obviously they did not want the room either, beside 8 air conditioning condenser units blaring away, a complete joke at best.
Of course I immediately went to the front desk to ask for a different room, only to be snubbed, and then told that there was none available, how I dare ask! Yet the place was only at half capacity and the bed was not king size, so the maid came in and pushed two double beds together and used multiple sheets. And no ordinary beds, I would call them straw and dirt in a sack, or I could sleep on the crack, oh and 19 pillows, there was no room for 19 pillows I think we were in the storage room. We piled the m in the Jacuzzi that didn’t work.
There was allot of construction all over, jack hammering, trucks and heavy equipment … far from relaxing. And the food, well it wasn’t good, not at all, for one meal I was served a steak that was still frozen in the center… just sick. I could only say they will feed you, definitely 3 star meals and 2 star services.
I was creped out by the “Ohla” (hello) in Spanish with the staff placing there hand over there heart…. Creepy, I was thinking next the track suites were coming out, for a mandatory Kool-Aid sipping hour and some comet gazing.
All in all no possible way this dump is a 5 star, boasting of awards they have received years ago, don’t know who they bribed for that, maybe different owners or management at that time But now , worthless.
There are so many good resorts in Mexico, don’t waist your money don’t take chances with your vacation keep looking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynn D, General Manager at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your kind comments and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are deeply sorry to read that you had inconveniences during your last stay at our resort, and sincerely hope to have the privilege of hosting you back in a future, this in order to improve the expressed impressions and provide you with our exceptional service and characteristic hospitality
Fernandina Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I visited for our honeymoon. We worked with Carey from Beach Bum Vacations. She pointed us to The Royal and we are glad she did!

The hotel was great. The open air hotel was perfect during our stay. Our room was in a great shape, clean and the staff took care of any problems we had.

The food was also great. There are a ton of choices. But after a week, things did get a bit redundant. However, the sushi restaurant was awesome. We ate their practically everyday and found awesome food each day.

The beach was nice. A bit crowded, but that was fine. Beach and pool service were excellent as well. Overall the staff was incredible. They took care of any problems immediately and were very polite and attentive.

The hotel is right in downtown Playa Del Carmen. So there are tones of activities at your fingertips. We hopped the ferry and spent a day in Cozumel which I would recommend. We rented a scooter and snorkel gear and had a blast.

Like I said we booked with Carey of Beach Bum Vacations. She was great. We got a great price and tons of extras like shuttle to and from the airport. All of the arrangements were also taken care of. All we had to do was show up at the airport and the rest was done. I would definitely recommend Beach Bum Vacations and Carey in particular. We had a great experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

WOW! we are still here in the royal and we are loving it ! The staff are amazing ! Matt and Jose in the bar topping out drinks up ! The entertanment staff TERESA, OMAR, CESAR, KATIE, DANNY BOY, RENATO are all amazing!!! they have made the holiday and are all very very funny and friendly ! VICTOR is great making sure our service is great at dinner. Really dont want to go home ! so back to the bar ;) Up date very soon .

Room Tip: go for a romm on the right side :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Currently staying at The Royal and used the services at spazul yesterday for our wedding. Gilda did my hair and it was AMAZING! Lupita did my manicure, also great. That evening we had the romantic evening massage package in our room and Denise and Angie were both incredible. I would highly recommend any of these ladies when you visit the spa. They are worth the expense. It was a fantastic indulgence.

Stayed October 2012
sunderland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We got back on the24 sept the staff make the hotel fantastic .paco in the Mediterranean.
Our maid for room266 victoria.was fantastic pool girls are brill prude xx lobby bar armando
Carlos and all the rest .the entertainment staff is only one Teresa and a special thanks to willie on the front desk for been more like a friend x Has the British flag been put the correct way yet .hi willie we have booked for next year see you then x

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Playa del Carmen? Share your experiences!