Sometimes I wonder what makes the difference between a 4* and 5*? I found it at Esencia: the service. It is the most interesting part of the travel experience. Never have I encountered people so happy to help you, to welcome you, to serve you. Every single employee tells you Hola. Even the gardener will stop what he does to salute you. I have never seen that before. That's what makes a hotel exceptional.
As you can read on this website the surroundings are beautiful. The rooms are big, clean and well furnished in a zen atmosphere. The food is great but expensive. The meal plan is a must since there is no restaurant around. The beach is quiet, clean and beautiful. There are some coral reef in the ocean but it is easy to find a spot free of rocks.
The only reason why I don't give it a 5* is related to a delicate matter. This hotel is targeted to a mature and quiet clientele who is pleased by a calm environment. For that reason I don't think that it is the right place for families with young children. I love children but I don't think it's an appropriate place for them. On the first 3 days the place was only occupied by adults. We were enjoying the 2 beautiful pools, the beach, the hamacs. By the week-end many families arrived with children as young as 2 years old, running around the pools and crying, jumping and screaming.
Esencia became then a very different place. I think that this resort should only be for children older than 12 years as many other small luxury boutique hotels are.
Esencia offers yoga classes, a zen environment, a top notch spa and lounge music in the rooms while accepting young children. Trying to be everything for everyone is not always a good marketing move.
This won't stop us for going back but it could damper the interest of the newlyweds.
- Also Known As:
- Esencia Hotel
- Esencia Playa Del Carmen
- Esencia Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Esencia Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Esencia is a 50-acre private estate, with an awe-inspiring beachfront, two swimming pools, day spa, gourmet restaurant, and an indulgent atmosphere fitting of royalty. In fact, the property and many of the buildings once served as the exclusive beach-side retreat of an actual Italian duchess. Though friendly, warm and generous, the duchess demands the very best and Esencia still benefits from her superior taste, her impeccable style and her zest for life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Jetsetter, Splendia, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, MrandMrsSmith, Venere and Otel so you can book your Esencia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.