Esencia has been on my list of “places-to-stay” in Mexico for a few years… I was thrilled to find a great last minute deal for a few days of much needed R&R. We spent 5 restful nights in a LARGE garden room – one of the best, most comfortable rooms I’ve ever stayed in. Located on the 2nd floor, it felt like we had our own private treehouse. The bed was divine, and we loved having coffee each morning on the private terrace.
The daily morning yoga was a perfect way to start each day - great instructors and beautiful setting with views & sounds of the ocean in the background.
Service was top notch all-around. The beach service was especially impressive. They make sure you have everything you need and even re-make your beach chair if you go for a swim.
The beach is beautiful and private, with plenty of room for long beach walks, swimming and snorkeling.
We didn’t have any spa treatments, but enjoyed using the private jacuzzi and plunge pool at the spa.
On the topic of food, we loved the Breakfast – especially the Mexican inspired dishes, like the Chile Rellenos. The Green Ceviche was delicious – our go-to lunch, along with a mango or strawberry margarita.
My only critique of Esencia was the dinner restaurant Sal y Fuego. The Fresh Fish Filet our waiter recommended was totally bland & rubbery – overcooked. The Shrimp Tamarindo was overpowered by a heavy Asian flavored sauce. The Shrimp linguini was cooked well, but in desperate need of seasoning. We did enjoy the Mixed Tostadas appetizer and Chocolate Bomb dessert. Overall, the food quality did not live up to the high price and we opted to drive into Playa Del Carmen for dinner most nights. Also, the lighting in the restaurant is SO dim that it’s hard to read the menu and puts you right to sleep. Turn up the lights!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Esencia and would definitely go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Esencia is a 50-acre private estate, with an awe-inspiring beachfront, two swimming pools, day spa, two restaurants, and an indulgent atmosphere fitting of royalty. In fact, the property and many of the buildings once served as the exclusive beach-side retreat of an Italian duchess. Though friendly, warm and generous, the duchess demands the very best and Esencia still benefits from her superior taste, her impeccable style and her zest for life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Esencia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esencia Playa Del Carmen
- Esencia Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Esencia Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico