“100% italian” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Restaurante Italiano ubicado en la 5ta Avenida con horno de lena y productos importados directamente desde Italia.
Italia
“100% italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

First of all, I am Italian even if I write this review in English.
Second, I am in this business, I know what I am writing about.
Third, read my profile and reviews, I do not write often about restaurants, because I know how difficult it can be to run this kind of business, BUT THIS PLACE NEED A REAL REVIEW, from someone who really knows about food and restaurants, because I've read some of them that can't be true, or at least very hard to believe.
This is an Italian restaurant, 100% Italian, owned and ran by Italians! It is about as authentic as you can find in Playa del Carmen. All of the staff converse in Italian, the pasta noodles are freshly made daily, the interior ambiance is enjoyable and outside tables are a plus.
Me and my family have stayed in Playa for a month and we ate here four or more times during my time in Playa: all of them were excellent. The first time I requested out of their standard menu (a special request from my 5 yrs old daughter), but the server asked the owner if they could accommodate my request which they did. This place is ran and owned by two professional Italian chefs, Francesco and Nicola, both from the south of Italy (Puglia), very hard workers that know how to prepare and serve food. I talked to them several time, about how difficult it can be to find good ingredients or good employees here in Mexico and to manage them...
We had appetizers, risotti, lasagne, pizze, meat and fish and some dessert (my daughter loved the preparation of the tiramisu' at the table)! The pasta were all excellent, you can tell the difference when fresh spaghetti are used! The sauces were all delicious, sometimes spicy which I was notified of when ordering but not overwhelming. Fresh fishes are hard to find here in Playa, we had mostly meat and pizzas, which I found that can be done better IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FLOUR AND THE RIGHT PIZZA MAKER!!! And even if you find the right pizza maker you have to hope that he comes every working day....
Anyway, the service was excellent and waiters were very attentive. The place was always packed and most of the times we've been there we didn't have a reservation. The waiters recognized me from my first visit and treated me as their favorite guest..
The menu is not pricey and the portions are large enough to take some home for the next day.
When/if we'll return to Playa del Carmen in the future we'll go there again.
I've read some review complaining about quality of food and service, due to lack of waiters or chefs in the kitchen, and I know that a bad day can occur once in a while, but poisoning a family is something very hard to believe.
Francesco e Nicola, continuate cosi': a Playa non avete rivali!!!

91% Recommend
Riverwoods, Illinois
“Negroamaro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Always looking for good places in Playa and decided to try Negramaro after reading Trip Advisor reviews. Excellent! The setting is delightful. The staff was attentive. The vegetarian pizza was very good. Nice crispy crust. I had the gnocchi with eggplant, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella baked in their wood buning brick oven. Best I've ever had. Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Great authentic Italian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I decided last minute to eat somewhere quick before heading back to our hotel. We were a bit tired of the tacos.. So decided on eating somewhere Italian. I really wasn't expecting much.. Thinking we're in Mexico...Italian is not their main dish BUT wow .. Felt like home !
Thanks so much for the great food and amazing tiramisu!

Dublin, Ireland
“Good Risotto and Tagliatelle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We went to the Negroamaro early for a romantic dinner and took a table in the open space beside the restaurant. We enjoyed the food. I went for the prawn and asparagus rissotto followed by 'Camaron Imperial'. My companion had the tagliatelle with lobster, mushroom and prosecco. All these dishes were excellent. Service was very good too...perhaps because we were there early before the restaurant filled up.
Our only complaint was the cacophony of noise coming from several other restaurants nearby. Rock, rap and classical competing! Perhaps we should have taken a table in the restaurant.
Negroamaro is located on the pedestrianized 5th Avenue.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia
“Not what TA makes it out to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went to this restaurant on the glowing recommendations of TA - I found it so/so - not amazing. The service was poor the evening we went, due to the place being understaffed. Not due to our waiter, we could see our waiter hustling to get to EVERY table, no fault of his, they needed more staff. We ordered two glasses of wine which we had to ask for twice. Then we were billed for 4 glasses of wine and had to have the bill corrected. The waiter and the persons clearing / bringing bread had to run from table to table, not a great experience to witness. We had the bread which was excellent, and the ham selection appetizer which had excellent presentation and tasted wonderful. The margarita pizza left a lot to be desired, I would rate it ok not even great. I won't be going back to this restaurant - it was out of the way and not worth it in my opinion.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
nicola c, Propietario at Negroamaro Italian Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
good night lady , I think that you wrong the write on the restaurant , but , the pizza is the best en playa del carmen( cooked in the clay oven) like some in Italy ,and I have to work four waiters in the restaurant, and I don't understand this complain , you have a good night ,
regards