“Spain the the Heart of PDC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Tapas & Company

El Tapas & Company
Calle 10 entre Avenida 15 y 20 | Plaza Municipal, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
+52 1 984 187 7421
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Spain the the Heart of PDC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

If you haven't travelled to Spain, then go here and you'll get a big taste of the flavors, culture, and you'll understand why Spanish food is so delicious and wonder why it's so often over looked!

You must have:
SANGRIA- yes order a pitcher, enjoy, you won't be sorry. It's refreshing, fruity, and bubbly, perfect!
1) Tortilla Española. This is a thick potato pancake but you'll love it just as much as your French fries and realize that potatoes can taste even better! They make it perfectly Spanish style here.
2) Croquettas de Jamon: this wonderful treat is made in most Spanish households and when made with jamon (Spanish ham) you get a wonderful taste of traditional jamon and this unique mini egg roll shaped treat.
3) Gazpacho. Unlike that watery cold tomato soup junk you may have had tried once at some generic wanna be Spanish restaurant....this is the real stuff. You get a thicker, almost creamy, version with bold flavors from the toppings. Be sure to dip the bread in the soup as true Spanairds always eat their gazpacho this way.
4) Paella: we had the mixta. I love paella and make it at home with my 2 paella pans and imported Spanish ingredients...so I know paella. I also ate at one the most renowned Madrileño restaurants, known for its paella and believe me this is nearly spot on. In fact I think I enjoyed it more than the most famous one (less greasy). It takes 40 minutes to make, so order it first then pick your appetizers. You'll realize why this is the dish of Spain.
5) Dessert: we ordered the flan-esque dessert with the name cielo or something similar. It was a cross between flan texture and appearance with a taste of creme brûlée, but sweeter. I really liked it since I like both flan and creme brûlée, but it was a little too sweet. So, order if you enjoy this kinds of dessert and love sugary things. It will make you thirsty from the sugar.

Overall, you will love this restaurant. The service was perfect, the food was delicioso. And it's a break from Mexican cuisine without sacrificing quality food, taste, and experience.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I've been there last night for dinner and the food is amazing! The waiter was very kind and he suggested me what to eat. I would definitely recommend it!

Visited August 2013
“El Tapas is Spain in Playa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We just ate here today, August 13th, 2013. The food was incredible. We had papas bravas, shrimp al ajillo and the seafood Paella. I have traveled to 13 countries, Spain, Mexico, Morocco, England, Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc... This is on my top five restaurants of all time. Jaime (the owner) is just the Madrileño perfecto to run this restaurant. Service was impeccable, food was amazing, the price was more than fair (140 pesos or about $12 dollars for the seafood paella) that easily fed my wife and I without the papas bravas or the camarones al ajillo. This place ranks right up there with the best in Playa and for about half the price. Small, quaint, personable and great.
If you're looking for authentic Spanish tapas and Paella, this place needs no further consideration. We will definitely be going back!!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

The best food in Mexico I've ever taste, the service was excellent Jose Luis the waiter was very funny and kind. The manager surprise my wife and I, with a wine bottle cuz I told him about we were celebrating our anniversary. Definitely I recommend this restaurant in playa del Carmen.

Visited July 2013
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Food and Friends! Life is GOOD!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Playa Del Carmen . XAVI et al. are so friendly and welcoming. The food is excellent, the waitstaff is attentive, and the atmosphere is cheerful. I have enjoyed the food and always meeting new people . I highly recommend it !

• Visited July 2013