“Interesting History” 4 of 5 stars

Visit Coba Mayan Village like an insider
Special Offer
$107*
and up
Cancun Super Saver: Tulum and Coba Ruins...
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Riviera Maya
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Interesting History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I visited Coba after booking the tour through Olympus Tours in the Lobby of The Royal Playa Del Carmen, the hotel we were staying at. The agents at Olympus helped greatly picking this tour, stating it was not as busy as other more popular ruins in the area. I thoroughly enjoyed the ruins themselves, hearing the history from our guide, explaining what many of them were used for and the importance of them in the culture. We were not at the ruins for very long, so everything seemed kind of rushed, and there was a large amount of area to cover. There are bike rentals you can use to try and speed up the process of traveling through the area. Although they are available, they are not necessary as long as you walk at a fairly brisk pace between the ruins. My wife and I scaled the pyramid, and it isn't for the feint of heart, although I do believe at the time of my writing this it is no longer allowed.

Following the tour of Coba, we went through a hike through the jungle and zip lining, followed by swimming in a cenote. I would have to say the second portion of the tour was by far my favorite, but I know my wife being a history teacher, really enjoyed the information and the sites to be seen at the ruins themselves.

Visited August 2013

• Polish first
Halifax, Canada
12 attraction reviews
“Must see”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Second time here. Great spot and far enough off the beaten path so that you almost have the place to yourself most days. All of the excitement and the genuinely interesting aspects of Mayan culture can be found here plus it is a great place for a walk in the bush. Bring bug spray and rain gear. Great little places to eat and drink nearby and we actually got to watch a World Cup game on the big screen TV in one of the venues, the day we visited. Recommended!

Fort Worth, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful honeymoon 16 years ago.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Although the review dates only go back to 2013, I wanted to comment on how nice this place is. When we visited, it was remote and hard to get to. There were two hotels n the area. One was Club Med, and the other was fully occupied by archeological students. My husband and I stayed at a woman's house who had a disabled teenager, at the time. She had a room with a shower she offered for rent. She made homemade breakfast and made us feel like family for the day. The village around Coba is quaint and friendly.

Visited August 2013
Mansfield TX
5 attraction reviews
“Breath taking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I was very impressed with Coba...more so than Tulum. I wish we had dedicated more time. It's very expansive...too much to see in just a couple of hours. I climbed the pyramid (you're not allowed to climb most of the other Mayan sites). In a word...spectacular! The way up isn't too bad but coming down is not for the faint hearted. Muster up the courage because the view at the top is indescribable. My only complaint is the lack of signs describing the various structures. In hind sight in wish I had ponied up the extra $50 and hired one of the on site guides. As soon as I got near some wifi I read as much as I could find about this fascinating place. This is a don't miss excursion.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Super fun visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We traveled here with a tour group. We did not have much time to explore the ruins, due to the activities planned with the tour group. That being said, it took us about two hours to see the two main temples, ball court, and climb to the top of the Ixmoja Pyramid. If we had more time to ourselves, I would have liked to have seen the other minor ruins. I think we could have explored the whole site on our own in three hours

I recommend renting the bikes or hiring a "taxi" bike. Best $8 we spent, it was so fun riding through the jungle. Most of the bikes were for shorter people, but it's a mile ride at the most, so not a big deal.

Definitely climb to the top of Ixmoja. It is steep and a little strenuous, but absolutely worth it. Great view at the top, and it's neat to way to experience history. Bring a bottle of water, you'll be thirsty after your climb!

Don't wear nice or stylish clothes. The shade of the jungle is lovely, and almost cool, but the majority of the ruins are in full sun and it is HOT. You will sweat. Dress in comfortable shoes, shorts, and a breathable shirt! Wear a hat!

I forgot bug spray, but our guide assured us that there were few bugs and because it hadn't rained, there would be no mosquitoes. I was dubious, but she was correct!