“Wonderful experience!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Come dive in beautiful Playa del Carmen with us. We offer all levels of PADI recreational diving training, technical diving training, cavern to full cave guided dives and training as well as rebreather training (Poseidon MKVI). We are true professionals who love what we do, and do what we love. Come join us!
“Wonderful experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I visited Playa del Carmen recently with my daughter, and had an amazing opportunity to get to know beautiful places with Beyond Diving. This was my daughter's first time diving and Eric was very patient and extremely knowledgeable. He made us feel very safe at all times and we got detailed feedback on how to make this an enjoyable experience. As of today my daughter is still talking about her dive at the Cenote, and we hope to be back soon.

Visited July 2013
Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you Gerardo! It was my pleasure an honor to have you and Gloria as my students. We hope next time you'll come with a bit more time and we'll get to do some more diving. In the meantime, keep diving. You guys have the innate skills to be great divers!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Greatest dive shop ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I recently did 5 days of diving with Eric who owns Beyond Diving. I did 3 days of cenote diving and 2 days of drift diving with them, and it is the best dive shop I have ever been to. They are small in size but big on safety, quality and service. I decided to not bring my gear with me, and the gear I got from them is awesome. I got an apeks regulator, a backplate/wing since thats what I dive at home and it all looked brand new. Eric went above and beyond (no pun intended) to take me places that he knew were not going to be too crowded, and his wife had just baked some cupcakes the night before and she brought me a couple to try out. They were delicious! Also, they dont set a time limit on the dives as long as we dont come close to ndl. I'll be back next year and i will be diving with them!

Visited August 2013
Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thanks Joe! It was awesome diving with you! I hope that next summer we can convince Brenda to give up the snorkel and take on diving. Good luck Pal!
“Great Dive Shop - for Beginners or Advanced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I dove two days with Erik (1 day Cenotes and 1 day reef dives) and booked a Whale Shark Snorkel trip through his dive shop. I would highly recommend them for anyone interested in diving in Playa Del Carman area. I am a pretty experienced diver (600+ dives and did my Dive Master 13 years ago) and was very impressed with the shop and Erik as a guide.

I did my first Cenote dive at Los Ojos with him, he gave a great pre-dive briefing going over safety stuff, spotted the leak from the first stage of my regulator (that I had just had work done on before this trip) as soon as we entered the water, and swapped out my equipment so we could do the dive. He did a great job on the dive, keeping an eye on me (he noticed whenever I stopped to clear my mask, or adjust buoyancy) and would check to make sure I was ok, but otherwise gave me plenty of space so I didn't feel rushed, and could enjoy the experience at my own pace.
We got to the Cenote before most of the other shops in order to beat the crowd which worked out great. Second dive at Los Ojos was also great, and he was terrific at answering questions I had about cave diving procedures and equipment as well as the site itself. When we got back to the shop, he spent 45 minutes figuring out what was wrong with my regulator, showing me what he was checking and why, found the problem, fixed it, and retested the regulator to make sure it was working fine before my next dive.

Second day of diving was drift dives on the reef, we saw turles, eagle ray, lobster, moray eels, a school of squid, and plenty of fish. Predive briefing was excellent, and once we were in the water he was fine with me setting the pace again, letting me lead when I wanted to which I appreciated since I enjoy looking for and finding moray eels and other creatures hiding out on my own. He also kept an eye out in case I missed something, calling me over to see a school of squid swimming by that I would not have spotted and showing me one really big moray eel in a hiding spot I would not have found. We shared a dive boat with another group, but again it was just the two of us together in the water which was much nicer than being in a large group.

When I asked about what other dives he would recommend, he was knowledgeable about the Dive sites and operators in Cozumel, and gave me some recommendations since I would be going there next and it would be cheaper to do those dives once I was there instead of taking the ferry back and forth. He then gave me some other ideas including the Whale Shark adventure which sounded great to me. The shop arranged my trip via Ocean Tours and I had a terrific day snorkeling with whale sharks. Erik and his wife made sure I had their cell phone numbers in case any problems came up and asked me to let them know what I thought since they had switched to booking with Ocean Tours recently. They chose well, the tour and whole experience was better than I had expected, great boat, fantastic guides, an amazing snorkeling experience, and great customer service. Everyone who booked through their hotels paid higher prices than I got through Erik, which was a nice surprise at the end of the day.

When I come back to Playa, I will have my girlfriend get her certification with Erik, and see if her son and daughter want to try a discover scuba experience. I am even considering signing up for a cave dive course.

Visited July 2013
Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review Chris. It has a been a real pleasure having you around for the past few days. I am glad I was able to get your regulator fixed up. Sandra and I really look forward to you coming back soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
“In good hands”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My two teens and I went on an afternoon dive with DM Steve. It was a rough day (we had no options to reschedule) and it was the kids' first ocean dive ever. Eric was friendly and professional, got us outfitted with great gear. My daughter and I guessed really badly about weight needed, and struggled during the first dive, but Steve was patient and attentive, and was ok with going slow. We got more weight for the second dive, and all three of us really enjoyed Steve's leadership -- he found some great critters, the kids had a better experience, and strengthened their open water skills. Steve got us through that rough day, so now all other dives will be easy! I would definitely dive with Beyond Diving again -- might try cenotes next time.

Visited May 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review Anna. We look forward to you visiting us again soon. In the meantime, if there is anything you feel we should improve, please let us know. We value your input.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Back to Playa and certification for our youngest son”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just got back from Playa (6-30-13) and we had a great time. We dove with 'Beyond Diving' and they were simply great. Erik knows what he is doing their equipment is as good as you will find and everyone at BD worked hard to ensure we were safe and having fun. If you are recreational or want to step it up a notch they can meet your needs.

For a really great time talk Erik into taking you to lunch at La Vida Buena in Akumal.

The Adams'

Visited June 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Erik R, Owner at Beyond Diving, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for trusting me to conduct Trey's checkout dives and for allowing me to hang out with your family! It was a real pleasure and Sandra and I really look forward to having you as our guests again soon!