We were very excited to book the romantic tress house for our vacation. But when we arrived, we wished someone would have told us some of the not-so-romantic details of the hotel. Here is a list of objective features/observations of the hotel, you use your own judgment.
1. Frequent water loss. Our shower ran out of water completely 2 times in 4 nights 3 days and hot water 1 time.
2. No privacy. One room has no door. The second bedroom and the bath room have wicker doors. That means whatever you do in the bedroom or bathroom can be heard by anyone in the house—or seen.
3. No easy access to public beach. The hotel is 5 min walk from the beach. But it's a private beach that belongs to another hotel. We walked about 40 min north to a public beach. I think you can also walk south to another public beach but I don't know how far.
4. No phone to call for help, even If you loss water in the middle of a shower. That means you have to have someone in the house every time when you take a shower. And since there is no wifi or tv in the room, you probably should prepare something else to do when waiting.
5. Safety concern. The windows can't be locked from the inside. We didn’t have anyone breaking in but when I went to bed at night, it’s in the back of my mind.
6. Poor sound insulation The roof of the house is made out of hay. It’s romantic but also means you can hear constructions & dog barking at 4:00 AM.
7. No two way lock for the front door. You can either lock the door from the inside by a deadbolt or outside by a lock. That means all people stay in the house need to come and go at the same time.--Or if someone comes back late he/she needs to wake up someone inside to open the door.
8. Persisting problems, no action from the management. The owner knows the water problem but had no intention to fix it. When I told him the first time I lost water at 1:00AM, he didn’t act surprised or apologetic. It obviously happened before but he has no intention to fix it.
9. Lying owner. When we discovered there was no wifi in the house, the owner told me “the cable company just changed the service today. I will buy something tomorrow to fix it”. But later the manager told us there was never wifi in the house. And will not be.
10. Great manager. The manager Omar is very helpful and professional. He tried all he could to help us with problems we have encountered. Unfortunately the owner explicitly expressed that he doesn't care about the problems we had and Omar couldn't do much to make up for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shalala casa hotel is an intimate and exclusive caribbean property located in downtown playa del carmen 200 meters from the beach and steps from the famous 5th avenue. It is established in an exclusive neighborhood surrounded by best restaurants offering french, thai, italian, healthy and seafood cuisine.5 beautiful rooms, each with a charming ambience; totally independent and private with 1,500 egyptian cotton sheets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Despegar.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel and Venere so you can book your Shalala Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shalala Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico