“Great stay for a great price!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hacienda del Caribe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Hacienda del Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Hacienda del Caribe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 2 Norte | Entre 5ta Avenida y Avenida 10, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #138 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Central Coast California
“Great stay for a great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

cute and cozy hotel with great staff and service. close to everything for less than hotels on the main strip. great hamburger and hot dog place next door, a must eat for sure. We stayed here for 6 days, although we had originally planned for 4 but ended up staying 2 more nights and the staff was very helpful and attentive in making our stay very pleasant. daily cleaning which leaves the rooms smelling fresh and loved coming to all sorts of little creatures sitting on my bed made from towels by the cleaning staff. pool is small but serves for a perfect refreshing swim after getting back from the beach

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We arrived to a very traditional Mexican looking hotel. The location was key, just off the main strip, and close to it all.

There was construction on the road out front, however the entrance directly in front of hotel was clean and clear.

Rooms: regular dbl room, quite small. The first we got the sheets were stained and the air conditioning was broken. The front desk was quick to place in a suitable alternative. This new corner unit, was spacious, clean and the air conditioning was powerful:) however it was on 10th and at night we had to keep the balcony doors closed, so not to hear the Mexican Karoke next door.

Pool: cute, clean and never busy

Staff: Best part of the hotel!! The front desk was sensational. Lending help, requests, booking reservations and just a honest true delight:)

Summary: if your looking for a well priced, amazing location, no frills, safe and Mexican themed hotel, look no further; this is your spot:))

I go to Mexico quite a bit, at least 2 months a year, and I can say with full confidence, ill stay again:)

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Having read the recent reviews, I was a bit uneasy to discover I would be staying here for three nights. But I was actually pleased with what I found. I had two different rooms, one on the third floor and one on the second. Both were perfectly acceptable, with plenty of space, working AC, nice shower with good water pressure and good housekeeping. And, of course, a wonderful location just off 5th ave. There was a lot of work going on while I was there to spruce up the place--painting and repair as far as I could see. The front desk always had beach towels available and the one time I asked and they were out, someone went and got one right away. There was always someone on duty at the desk and they always seemed pleasant and accommodating. It is true that there is no restaurant or bar at the hotel, but, with all the choice around the corner, that was no drawback. I only had two complaints (aside form the general complaint I have about most hotels I have stayed in--no decent reading light). The sheets need updating. The ones in the first room I had were old and stained. And the second night I was there, a family with a couple of small kids were checking in when I got back to the hotel about 10:00. We had an early day the next day so we wanted to go to bed early, but this family got into the pool in the courtyard about 10:30 and the kids were shrieking and laughing until after midnight. The sounds just echoed in the open space on the courtyard. I wish whoever was on duty as the desk had said something.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
victoria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hotel Hacienda del Caribe in Play del Carmen is another hotel to avoid. When we checked in the room they gave us only had a single small ceiling light, no bedside or other lights at all in the room. When we asked for another room the clerk told us they were full but when I mentioned that I saw three rooms right next to us empty she finally allowed us to switch. That room only had two towels, no face towels, washcloths, shower mats or floor towels. We aked for a hand towel and a bath mat that was frayed and thin. The TV is fuzzy and no English channels. Next morning breakfast was 4 ½ block away in another hotel and was a continental breakfast; juice, fruit, coffee, and toast. There were no eggs, sausages, ham or pancakes.

The Internet connected only in the lobby. When we asked for beach towels, they only had one to give us even though they had offered them earlier and the hotel was mostly empty. The small pool was in the centre of the hotel like a hacienda but they only had three chairs and when I asked if they could find me some more, as those three were taken, I was told that there were no more.

If this is an example of an average 3 star hotel, I seriously think the people who rate hotels need to re-evaluate how it rating system works, they really missed to the boat on this one.

What is a shame on this is that the hotel is actually very attractive and well equipped with décor and Mexican art. The rooms are large and while its not on the ocean, its a short walk away. This a classic example of how a little better service including staff training and proper supplies could turn this hotel around and make all the difference. What a shame that people will read this and the other negative reviews and go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had high hopes for this place, due to its more authentic architecture, and perfect location, close to the bars, restaurants, beaches and shops. Unfortunately our Mexican Travel Agent had gone bust, taking our money with it (apparently) so didn't get off on good foot after 2 hors of unhelpful, disinterested staff. The rooms were very dark, with no natural sunlight (only windows were 20cm forom a stone wall) The room was so damp, nothing ever dried, sheets felt damp, and I ended up with a chest infection. Shower was hot and powerful (it did dretly spray the light switch though!) - (Damp) towels provided. No breakfast. Bar, although has great saddle seats, wasn't trading, and pool was too small, shading and public to want to swim in. Has potential, but for the first time ever, I wud not recommend this hostal.

Room Tip: Don't go for ground floor rooms...they are damp and have no windows
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
St. Paul MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed one night and could not stay any longer. The room was old and in need of work. Bathroom tiles were broken and dirty. The door was thin and did not feel safe. When we came back late the guard was lying on the bench sleeping. The swimming pool is very small and I don't think I would use it. The internet only worked in the entry.

I've stayed in a number of hotels all over the Yucatan and am not a resort kind of person, but I can't recommend this small hotel.

I would say the stay are nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
NE South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband and I needed a room for a few nights before we checked in at our timeshare. Our rate did not include breakfast so I can't comment on that. Many great restaurants close by. When we arrived they could not find our expedia reservation, but they got us checked in, and were able to solve the issue the next day. This is a basic, no frills hotel. It was very clean. Staff were helpful and friendly. We had a king size bed on the second floor towards the back of the building. It was quiet and restful. The window looked out into the interior courtyard of the hotel. Some of the towels had been well used. It was very rainy one night and we stayed in and watched tv. There were a few english speaking channels. The internet worked best down in the lobby by the front desk--no connection in our room- but I spend very little time on line while on vacation. I liked the feel of the hotel--- brightly painted walls, live hanging plants, sitting spaces in the interior courtyard, and a security guard on duty in the evenings. The pool is small but we are beach people so that is not an important feature for us. We were able to leave our luggage at the front desk the day we checked out and came back and retrieved it that evening. We would definitely stay here again - the price was right and it is in a convenient location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hacienda del Caribe? Share your experiences!