“Aceptable!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hacienda del Caribe

You added Hotel Hacienda del Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Hacienda del Caribe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 2 Norte | Entre 5ta Avenida y Avenida 10, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #140 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Guanajuato, Mexico
“Aceptable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

At the beginning i wasn't too sure about reserving this hotel but because of its location i decided to stay there, its 2 blocks away from the beach, one fron the ADO station and 3 from the pick up place for my tours.

I liked the design, and the services are ok, but unfortunately the lobby was under maintenance and it got a little noisy at some times. besides the small pool was in front of the workers so, it wasn't too comfortable to get in it!

The price was ok, not too expensive, but not cheap, and as they don't have restaurant, you can ask for a pass to the beach club that is 5 minutes away.

I would recomend this hotel if you are planning a short stay in Playa and are not planning to be long hours at the Hotel...

Room Tip: ask for second floor...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

This hotel is OK for a last minute reservation. By this I mean, as long as you are absolutely sure that you do not have to cancel or if you need a place to stay for a night or two this is convenient to the local bus terminals in Playa del Carmen and 5th Avenue. The accommodation is adequate though a bit noisy.
The biggest problems I have had has been with the management nickeling and diming you to death. If you need to cancel, BEWARE! It took me over four months to get “some” of the money back that I paid up front to confirm a room. They assured me upon booking that I could cancel if necessary. I cancelled five months prior to my booking. I never did get all the money back that I had paid to Encanto Resorts. In order to get what I did back, it took daily emails / phone calls for weeks on end. I have currently given up trying to get the rest of my money back; a lesson learned and one that I will share with Trip Advisor and other travelers.
Happy Travelling!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This was our second stay and after the first in May 2010 we posted a very positive review. Still wonderful this time around and we were on the third floor street side with a small balcony which had a view if the Caribbean and Cozumel. We had a spacious colorfully decorated room with a large bath. The staff and service was outstanding and the off season rate was MX $600 (about $55 USD). Be aware this 34 room hotel fills up even in off season and you should know that we met a couple who booked thru a third party sevice and the hotel had no record of that. So book on the hotel's site www.haciendadelcaribe.com to be sure. The breakfast bar was not open during this visit. One delightful feature in our third floor room was a ceiling cupola with stained glass and a rustic chandelier. Also, note that there is no lift and that you should not confuse this property with the Hotel Hacienda Real del Caribe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Last year we fell in love with Hacienda del Caribe, so when we started talking about another trip to Playa del Carmen, we knew we were going to stay here again. Although Hacienda del Caribe is not directly on the beach, it is only a one block walk to the clear, warm, gentle waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Since summer is pretty much off season, our room was only $50 USD, the same price we paid last year. We had a very spacious room with a king size bed and a balcony. The whole hotel is kept spotless. The staff is very friendly and even said they were happy to listen to my pitiful attempts at Spanish. The courtyard with the small pool is a perfect spot to relax after a day on the beach. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but it is on 2nd Street a few steps back from Avenida Cinco where you will find lots of restaurants and bars. If you should happen to be on a tight budget like we were, just wander away from Avenida Cinco to 10th Ave. or 15th Ave. and you will find a variety of good restaurants where you can eat for $5 or $6 per person. We will be back again next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I enjoyed the Hotel Hacienda del Caribe. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is about 1 block from the main street 5th Ave - on 2nd Street Norte. It is 1 block away from the ADO bus station ($11.00 to airport) and 4 blocks to the Cozumel ferry($15 to Cozumel). There is a small reception desk with friendly staff. They have free wifi in the main lobby and courtyard - but it is not strong enough for rooms wifi. I got a room on the 2nd floor and did not have any problem with noise. The air conditioner worked well.
It had the basics and a small pool - but I did not use the pool. I spent most of my time at the beach - and also out at restaurants and cafes out on 5th Ave.
Parking can be an issue in the area since it is by the ferry to Cozumel, and is a very busy area, but there are parking lots with 1 block.
If you want a cheap option that is clean and comfortable and on a budget you will be happy. It is simple and a budget hotel that I would recommend to solo or couple travelers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We may have just been unlucky, but had no hot water for 2 days. We were told if we wanted a hot shower we could walk 5 blocks to their sister hotel!!! Pool could do with a clean, sheets and towels had some interesting stains on them (we tried not to think too much about why...) and despite paying the hotel DIRECTLY at the time of check-in, they insisted they couldn't provide a receipt because we had (only) reserved the room via this site. Not sure if they get what a receipt actually is. Good location though (upside?).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sahuarita, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We spent one night in this hotel because it was the most affordable option for a one night stop as we headed to Calakmul. The hotel is well situated and only a few steps away from Avenida 5. We booked the room through Hotels.com and specifically requested a king size bed. Upon arrival, I was told that the only available room had two queen beds and the room was on the first floor facing the pool/lobby. This was irritating as I had called and confirmed that we would be able to get a king size bed and that our late arrival would not be a problem.

Good Points:
The room was very clean and fairly comfortable. This is a good option if you are looking for a clean budget hotel that is on Avenida 5. I personally wouldn’t pay more than $45 USD/room at this hotel. We paid $65 USD through hotels.com which is way more than we should have paid. The reception desk staff was polite. The lobby is cozy, nice, and comfortable with a small pool.

Negative Points:
There is no parking for the hotel so if you have a car it makes things more complicated as parking is difficult to find in Playa. We had to run the shower for about 15 minutes with the hot water knob turned all the way in order to get the hot water running. I would stay away from the rooms on the bottom floor facing the pool as they have huge windows facing the pool and lobby. There are curtains for privacy but you won’t have any privacy if you open your curtains. Wifi at the hotel wasn’t working while we were there so this added to the list of annoyances. Luckily we were only there for one night.

I would rather pay more money and stay somewhere else next time we are in Playa.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hacienda del Caribe? Share your experiences!