On the plus side, the day receptionist, Juan, is very amiable and helpful. They have put in a nice pool for after the beach and you are offered a free arrival margarita and excellent coffee and breads for breakfast.
BUT, Luna Blue, like the incessant Jimmy Buffet tunes played all day long, and I mean, ALL day long, is unnecessarily dated. After years of traveling in Mexico and now finishing up our one month trip into Chiapas, Yucatan and Quintana Roo, we have realistic expectations about Mexico. With not a great deal of effort, the Luna Blue could be very charming. With the Grunge factor in the rooms, bathrooms, and bar area however, you feel you should be paying a lot less. Though we understand it being right on a well traveled road off the Quinta and the dust factor it can cause, it just felt like everything was covered in dirt and really gave it the neglected look. The Palapas are worn, full of dirt and leaves, the landscaping limestone needs a good powerspray and the bathrooms need Mr. Clean and a scrub down on all surfaces. Do not look closely at the baseboards in the bathroom as I think the grime has been there since Jimmy Buffet was cool to listen to. The shower curtain needs to be washed and the louvres on the bathroom door have all kinds of nasties on them, don't ask...The barman, if asked, will politely dust off a chair or two for you to sit on. He really should have been doing that all along making the bar more inviting rather than glued to his I phone, a problem I have seen with many hotel employees.
Sadly, Playa is caught up in the "all inclusive" patrons' pressure to be chic with pricey restaurants, trendy shops and boutiques. For a night in transit, an ok place to stay. Too bad, as more attention to cleanliness, maintenance and a change of music at the bar, Luna Blue could be very nice. Maybe it is just a matter of reviewing the responsibilities of each employee there and more TLC and supervision from the owners who live locally.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Blue Hotel is located in Playa del Carmen's popular north end, three short blocks from the beach and half a block from the restaurants, shops and nightlife of 5th Avenue. This boutique hotel features palapa-covered balconies, a sunken tropical garden swimming pool, a lush garden, and one of the most popular bars in town. The hotel offers free use of four beach clubs and various local discounts. American owners and their bilingual staff offer you personal attention during your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Despegar.com so you can book your Luna Blue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Blue Hotel Garden
- Luna Blue Playa Del Carmen
- Luna Blue Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico