This pleasant little boutique hotel is right on the edge of the main shopping/restaurant drag of 5th Ave, which makes it easy to access.... no walks down dark streets!
When you walk into Luna Blue, it really is like walking into a quiet, shady oasis - a respite from the noise and commercialism of 5th. Lots of trees and greenery surround the small pool, which in turn is surrounded by the rooms, all seemingly privately located from each other.
We were in #36 - a top floor room up two flights of solid steps (not ideal if you have bad legs, so be aware). Assuming all rooms are fairly similar, I can only describe our room:
Queen bed which was unpleasantly hard (we actually travel with a Thermorest as we have found many Mexican beds to be like solid wood! and my middle-aged hips and back just can't take it anymore!!)
The room itself was very clean and bright with lots of windows.
The bathroom was basic, but the shower pressure was little more than a trickle which took ages to warm up.
A real bonus in the room was a bar fridge and bottled water dispenser. I hate using plastic bottles (enviro no-no) and loved being able to fill my own, cool it in the fridge and it was ready to go!
The room had a (huge) ceiling fan - very windy; and an a/c unit which worked too well. We couldn't find a balance where we weren't freezing cold or being blown away! They were over-kill for a small room.
We like to relax playing cards or board games, but there was no suitable table in the whole place. And no place other than the bar or pool to meet other guests.
The HUGE downside to the hotel for us was the bar. It was open every night until 11pm, with live music on Tuesday & Thursday. So the hotel was loud with people talking and laughing most nights, with ridiculously LOUD live music Tues/Thurs till 11pm. As we are quiet people, this hotel appealed to us when we read the TripAdvisor reviews, but if we could choose again, we'd go somewhere without a bar!! But that's just us - it might suit more sociable people!
Reception staff were very helpful, but a suggestion to the hotel would be to have a small map showing the layout of downtown... It took us 2 days to feel familiar, after walking up & down again & again; and we were only there for 3 days, so I feel we probably missed a lot of what the area had to offer.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Blue Hotel Garden
- Luna Blue Playa Del Carmen
- Luna Blue Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Blue Hotel is located in Playa del Carmen's popular north end, three short blocks from the beach and half a block from the restaurants, shops and nightlife of 5th Avenue. This boutique hotel features palapa-covered balconies, a sunken tropical garden swimming pool, a lush garden, and one of the most popular bars in town. The hotel offers free use of four beach clubs and various local discounts. American owners and their bilingual staff offer you personal attention during your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Luna Blue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.