“Cute boutique hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Cute boutique hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very cute hotel and wonderfully located at a half block from the main walking street 5th Ave. For the price, we expected a bit more. Had Playa del Carmen been my only travel experience, Luna Blue would be at the top of my list, but comparably it's your average boutique hotel for twice the price.

The receptionist on staff was extremely helpful and knows his city and its surroundings well. Ask him how to get anywhere without paying obnoxious rates and he's happy to share. The bar is nice enough and the drinks are well-priced compared to other bars of its kind in the area. The free passes to the "beach club" require that you purchase an overpriced drink on the supposdely public beach once there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had not been back to Luna Blue in 5 yrs so it was amazing to see how much Tony and Cheri have done with the place. The great Luna Blue Bar and pool added the finishing touches. I went to Playa for a rejuvenating post-divorce trip and this mural on the wall of Room #8 said it all...."I am going away...to an unknown country where I shall have no past and no name, and where I shall be born again with a new face and an untired heart." Thank you Luna Blue, Tony and Cheri for another unforgettable trip to Playa. Staying at Luna Blue feels like you're staying at Tony and Cheri's house...close to 5th, close to restaurants, yet a quiet little bit of paradise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Davidson, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is only a review of the Luna Blue Swing Bar. We recently purchased a property nearby and could not resist "swinging" by for a drink. Great atmosphere, good music from Mike Grabow on acoustic guitar (the whole bar was singing Irish drinking songs at one point), and even a visit by the legendary Lenny (his picture is on the wall, you will have to visit to get the whole story).

Highly recommended for an entertaining time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just got back from a lovely stay at Luna Blue Hotel. Love the big filter water bottle--I didn't have to buy tons of water and lug it back to the hotel. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. The bar is fun with swinging chairs and fun decoration :). Love the staff -- Alex was so wonderful and friendly. Also love Frankie - orange cat. The pool was a perfect relaxing spot after scuba diving all day. The artwork is beautiful.
I highly recommend your stay here!!

Room Tip: We had the garden room - very beautiful with tree canopies.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I really can't say enough good things about this wonderful hotel. We discovered Luna Blue through Trip Advisor after having booked a room elsewhere for our first night in Playa (online). We were only in Playa a few days. We walked over to check it out and I knew at once that this was where I wanted ro spend the next two nights. We took a room near the pool ($75/night) and spent a whole day alternately reading on a lounge chair sipping beer purchased at Oxxo (just a short walk at the end of the block), and cooling off in the pool. The trees offered shade and kept us cool and the little waterfall on the side was a lovely touch. I could have stayed there for the rest of our vacation, but this was an intermediate stop (we booked a whale shark snorkel trip between dive trips). The staff was also very helpful and there is a bar with swing chairs at the street level which has good Margaritas (is there really a bad Margarita in Mexico?). If I ever travel to Playa again, I will stay at Luna Blue.

• Stayed June 2013
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was my second stay at Luna Blue & it's still just as great! Charming, simple, clean, & convenient... I can't imagine you'll find better for the price. My curiosity got the best of me & I stayed at another hotel for the last part of this trip & I definitely missed the Luna Blue. We paid almost twice as much & were half as satisfied. The service is amazing, the pool is refreshing, & the bar feels like home (I wish!).
Do yourself a favor & stay here. There's a reason it's ranked so high on Tripadvisor among much more expensive hotels... It's the best!

• Stayed May 2013
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We visited the Luna Blue for our second time at the beginning of May and it was an extremely enjoyable experience. Since there are already plenty of revews of the hotel, I will attempt to answer a few questions that I had before the trip. We stayed in a Tropical Hideaway room on the second floor. My wife and I are in our early 30's and this was our 4th trip to Playa (2nd stay at the Luna Blue). We went there for Jorge's Margaritas and scuba diving, in that order. Here are a few things you might like to know:
- When you land in Cancun you will go straight to immigration, then get your bags, then walk through customs. There is a button that each person pushes that will randomly determine whether or not they go through your bags. Don't put anything in the top of your bag that you don't want a mexican police officer to hold up and show everybody.
- After you walk through the sliding doors DON'T STOP until you go through the doors leading outside. The timeshare people are very convincing and they will ask you who is providing your transportation but just keep going and look for someone holding a sign with your name on it. P.S. There is a bar right outside the terminal and it is a 2 beer ride to Playa. I am from Mississippi and we measure travel time in beers.
- We had the Luna Blue set up transportation for us. Since our flight arrived at 9pm it was a higher price ($110 per couple round trip) for private car transportation. This is usually cheaper than getting your own cab.
- I don't like using ATM's or cards in foreign countries so we brought $100 in 1's, $200 in 5's and about $500 in other US currency. Everywhere takes dollars so don't change any to pesos. US dollars are waterproof and the locals enjoy taking your wet dollars just as much as the dry ones when you are at the bar in your swimsuit. Tips are always appreciated.
- Wireless internet has a good signal in the rooms
- Cell service was excellent (Cspire) and I let the provider know that I was travelling out of the country before I left. You can receive calls fine but you have to dial a country code to place a call from your cell phone. I think we had to dial 001+area code+number to get through.
- The room where we stayed had a very cold A/C. I am from Mississippi so that means a lot to me. It quit blowing one day but Alex got somebody to fix it very quickly-.
- Rooms at the Luna Blue are very clean and very basic. There is no TV or radio so I suggest taking a phone/mp3 player with an external speaker if you like entertainment. Hairdryers are available if you request them. They provide soap and shampoo.
- Its about a 5 minute walk to the beach so make sure you bring all your stuff. Fresh Beach towels are available at the front desk with a deposit at the beginning of the trip.
- I brought a small soft bag cooler with us and we kept several beers on ice all the time. You can buy beer by the 12pack at the store around the corner and its a lot cheaper than buying one at a time on 5th or at the beach. If I had it to do over again I would have walked to the Mega store and bought a couple cases for the week. You can buy a bag of ice and keep the rest in the small freezer in your room. The freezer has ice trays but they take 2 days to freeze, and if you are like me you will need ice more than every other day.
- The convenient stores don't sell beer after 3pm on Sunday so go ahead and stock up before then if you are thirsty.
- Take a thick foam huggie or my favorite: Thermos Stainless Steel Can Insulator. Mexico is hot.
- We bought some big water bottles at the store around the corner and re-filled them with the big bottled water dispenser in the room.
- We went diving with Mexico Blue Dream. They are a first class operation and I would not hesitate to recommend them. We did the package that had 2 tanks in Playa, 2 tanks in Cozumel, and 2 tanks in the Cenotes. If you have never been in a cenote then you need to try it while you are there. MBD also has a room in the back where you can wash you gear and leave it to dry overnight so you don't have to carry it back to your room every day. Great service.
- We went to a bunch of restaurants and whoever is working at the desk can offer some good recommendations. The fish tacos at the restaurant on Calle 26 just past 5th are incredible and I still lay in bed and dream about the french onion soup at Wicky's.
- Last but not least, the best Margaritas in the world are made by Jorge at the Luna Blue Bar. They open at 3pm and I can't remember what time they close because of Jorge's margaritas. Ask Jorge about rule #1 for the ladies at the bar. Trust me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Luna Blue Hotel? Share your experiences!