For my second trip to Playa del Carmen, I decided I would skip the All Inclusive Resorts and try something a lot smaller and a lot more personal. My only regret is that I didn't do this the LAST time I went!
The Luna Blue has carved itself a quiet little niche, just far enough from the array of night clubs and bars to let a person sleep in peace, while still remaining close enough to the core of town that I never even considered taking a taxi. (The area of town immediately around the hotel feels safer than most parts of the town where I live, making for comfortable and relaxed evening walks.)
And what a niche it is! The vine-strewn trees throughout the property provide an atmosphere of being in a primitive jungle. The pool feels even further isolated, since it is on a lower level, about 10 feet or so below the main area of the central courtyard. Then there's the palapa-topped bar, with a scattering of intimate tables and (my favorite!) swings rather than stools around the bar itself. The bar is stocked with a wide variety of beers and liquors, and (far more importantly) is staffed by possibly the nicest bartender it's been my pleasure to meet.
Once I had my morning swim and was ready to face the day, it was a short walk from the front gate to anything you could want on a vacation. The beach is maybe two city blocks away, with Playa's best "beach clubs" right there. Coffee shops, restaurants, boutique stores, and an astounding array of bars are all within a block or two. If you venture a little further (maybe 4 or 5 blocks) you come to the night clubs both on and off the beach.
Did I mention that the hotel has free WiFi throughout the propery? You haven't fully lived until you've used your phone to video-chat a friend from paradise, and been able to show them *exactly* what they're missing.
In short, it simply doesn't get better than this.
- Also Known As:
- Luna Blue Hotel Garden
- Luna Blue Playa Del Carmen
- Luna Blue Hotel Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luna Blue Hotel is located in Playa del Carmen's popular north end, three short blocks from the beach and half a block from the restaurants, shops and nightlife of 5th Avenue. This boutique hotel features palapa-covered balconies, a sunken tropical garden swimming pool, a lush garden, and one of the most popular bars in town. The hotel offers free use of four beach clubs and various local discounts. American owners and their bilingual staff offer you personal attention during your stay in paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Luna Blue Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.