“Return Visit Did Not Disappoint” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 387, Chetumal | Cancun Km. 299, Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersBronze level
midwest
“Return Visit Did Not Disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

What fun we had. Walked the beach every morning before sunrise and found some amazing shells. Brought home six large conch shells to remember Mexico by. If you are a beach comber and enjoy walking the beach for hours, this is the place for you. I could walk forever to the south of the resort and never got to a point where I could not continue walking. Very few people out in the wee morning hours. Had bananas and rum every morning for breakfast. Enjoyed yoga outside every morning at about 8:30 am. Swam in the ocean. Regarding the reviews of the terrible beach, I think it must all depend on timing. On our first visit it wasn't as nice as this visit, but I have never seen it look terrible. We are not big ocean swimmers, but I did enjoy looking at it and listening to the sound of the ocean every day as I lay in the sun reading a book - relaxing and soaking up as much vitamin D as I could. The activities are fun if you are interested. I didn't participate in any on our first visit, but enjoyed beach volleyball and water volleyball this year. Omar is a kick. They had an amazing Super Bowl party on the beach on Super Bowl Sunday which redeemed me with my husband for planning our vacation over that weekend. I like this place, because it feels very quiet and intimate. Both times we have met some amazing couples from other places and spent our last evening sitting outside drinking champagne and talking into the wee hours of the night. We tend to be a bit social. That said, we also had a lot of private time to ourselves when we wanted/needed it. It's kind of fun to sit in the hot tub in the evening as they bring out glasses and chilled champagne as the sun sets. On our first visit, we enjoyed an evening just slow dancing to the sounds of the ocean and an amazing saxophone player outside underneath the stars. There are plenty of opportunities for ambiance and romance. It's about 9 km north of Playa del Carmen - a $14 taxi ride. Very easy to get to and from town. I would recommend going once. We go every year because I like to get my hair braided. Kind of fun to walk down 5th Avenue. Evenings and nightlife are fun. The beach during the day has always been amazing. Regarding the resort food. It's good, but not five star. I like that the portion sizes are small. We enjoy Portofino (rack of lamb!) and Hibachi (sushi!). First time there, we went to Hibachi for the show. It was fine, but not great. Not my thing, but a good place to meet other couples of you are social. This time we just went by ourselves and had dinner and it was very pleasant. Sushi was delicious. We enjoy the open air Oceana restaurant on our last night, but you have to be careful what you order. The ocean front grill is nice. I very much enjoy their baja fish tacos and their shrimp tacos. Avoid the nachos and the pork tacos. My husband tried the grilling one day, but his hamburger was undercooked. Not to worry, though. If you don't like it, just order something else. The beauty of an all inclusive. The breakfast buffet in the mornings is impressive. I love their fresh fruit. Tipping is not required, but a nice gesture. We tipped our waiters two dollars a restaurant visit and the waiters/waitresses who bring you drinks poolside or beachside a couple dollars a day. I tried to remember to leave a few dollars a day for the maid service. I noticed our room service wasn't as stellar as the last visit, but again... that can vary depending on your employee and it wasn't terrible. The rooms are comfortable/nice. The beds are a little hard so depending on your slumber preference, you may want to ask for a pad to be added to the bed for a little more cushion. I enjoyed the jetted tub last time, but didn't find time to indulge this time. It's a one person tub - and a very skinny person at that... long and narrow. I've heard complaints about the bathroom. All I can say is that it's nicer than ours at home so we weren't going to complain. All in all a wonderful, beautiful, relaxing place to visit. If there is a next time for us, I might try to plan a romantic dinner for two on the beach. Maybe go jet skiing or parasailing. Lots of things to do or not to do. It's your choice. If you choose this resort for your visit, I don't think you'll be disappointed. In fact, I think you will be impressed and more than pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,490)
Cornwall, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

My wife and I were at the Secrets Capri Feb. 11 to Feb 18 and had a great time despite the not so great weather.
The Capri was without a doubt the cleanest resort we have ever been to.
Check in was so easy and comfortable, you did not have to stand at a desk to check in you sat in comfortable chair and given a glass of champagne while they checked you in.
What stood out to me the most was the service, they went above and beyond to make sure your wants and needs were met.

We had a standard room, but there was nothing standard about it, we have stayed in upgraded rooms at other hotels that were not this nice.

The food was good, I only wish they would have had a dinner buffet, it was all a la carte and the restaurants were more into presentation than taste.
The staff was the best they were always smiling and made you feel welcome.

NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

This is late. I went to secrets capri in July 2009. It was one of the best vacations I've been on to date. I was 20 weeks pregnant at the time that we went to Mexico. I was a little apprehensive about the water and refused to drink anything with ice until 4 days into the vacation my husband and I saw a waiter bringing a cart full of bagged ice to the kitchen. After that I began to drink juice with ice in it.

The room:
King bed, Nice finishes. Free playboy.

The enterntainment:
Not very good at night. We enjoyed the hypnotist, the casino night and the karaoke night. Other than that the nightly entertainment wasn't great. The day time had the usual bingo by the pool, water aerobics, volleyball (both beach and pool). My husband and I learned archery and rifling on the beach, taught by the entertainment staff. There was also a bungy type trampoline that my husband enjoyed. There was also a business center free of charge where you could go on the internet opened 10a-10p.

Food:
The food was very tasty but not sufficient quantity according to my husband and I. However, there were no reservations required so you could easily go to another restaurant to eat more if needed. Or you were able to order more food at the restaurant that you were at. The waiters and hosts/hostesses were very pleasant. They called us by name. Room service was included in the all inclusive price and I used it every morning. My husband is a late sleeper and given that I was pregnant I had to eat so I would order breakfast every morning. You can also order room service for the morning the day before which I did and promptly at 6:30am as I requested the night before, there was a waiter at my door with my breakfast. There are also waiters walking around at the beach and pool with menus that you may order from. My husband and I on a few occasions never got up from our beach/pool chair and food and drinks were brought to us by the wait staff. This was my favorite aspect of the resort.

Beach/Pool:
The pool was big and clean but there were a few loose tiles that you can slip on. The beach wasn't the greatest but it was good enough to swim in and to walk along.

Staff:
Extremely friendly. I went to the concierge in the lobby and told him that my husband's birthday was that upcoming friday and I would like his name printed in the newsletter that they circulate daily. Not only did they print happy birthday ___ in the newsletter, they also decorated our room with balloons, streamers, chocolate covered fruit, birthday card and champagne. It was way more than I expected and my husband felt special. This was all done free of charge. See attached pictures.

Excursions:
We went to Tulum and Xelha. I advise that everyone tries Xelha. We booked our excursion and private taxi through Entertainment Plus. They were reasonable and very professional.

Overall:
I loved this hotel it was clean, the staff was friendly. It was the perfect combination of rest and relaxation. I am dying to go back or atleast try other Secrets resorts.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

We spent four nights at this resort the second week of February. We all agreed it was the best all-inclusive resort we have been to. All employees were pleasant and professional, the food was great, the grounds and rooms were very clean. There are many activities offered and they are well run by Omar and Isabel. Omar and Isabel also had a daily water aerobics class that was very hard and made you feel like you could have that extra snack! Or, if you prefer just relaxing, the pool and beach are nice. There are a few vines and stumps on the beach, but they really were not a bother. The beach has very soft sand and the water was beautiful. It was somewhat busy when we were there so you did have to play the towel game with the lounge chairs. The pool areas go first, then the beach chairs. But the staff will happily help you find or move chairs.

We enjoyed all our meals and ate at the Portofino twice. The filet mignon at the outdoor restaurant was wonderful. Did not get to the Japanese restaurant but heard it was good. Breakfast was a large buffet and lunch could either be at a restaurant(very good) or the daily pool barbeque. No reservations or wristbands required. Sometimes at night you had to wait. They would give you a light/vibrator disc. We would enjoy our cocktails while waiting.

Evenings they had different entertainers every night, singers, magicians, fire dance, beach buffet with entertainment, guitar players, etc. They had a very adequate gym for a resort, free weights, bikes, treadmills, universal equipment.

The room was not large but clean. We loved the beds, very comfortable. Our maid was very good, fresh towels daily, turndown service and we hardly ever saw her. We had a tropical view on the fifth floor which overlooked the large jungle out front. It was very private which we like.

My one negative would be the $200 resort credit they offer. It can only be used in small amounts put toward some extras you pay for, e.g., a facial or massage, a premium bottle of wine. The wine they had was good enough for us.

All in all it was a great time and I would definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

My husband and I spent 5 days 4 nights at Secrets Capri and at the end of the vacation, we decided that we enjoyed out trip.

As soon as we arrived at Secrets Capri, we were greeted with cold towels while the bell boy retrieved our stuff from the car. We were escorted to reception and started our check in procedure. The receptionist initially gave us a room on the 4th floor with two double beds. We specifically asked for a king size bed when we made the reservation. I don’t want to be with my husband on vacation sleeping separately. We asked her to change it and she said that there is no way she can do that because they are booked to capacity and a king size bed is only a request and never guaranteed. She requested that we speak to a supervisor and he took his sweet time coming over to retify the problem. We waited about 15 minutes for him and when he came over he said that he is going to upgrade us to a Junior Suite that belongs to a honeymoon couple and hopes that they do not show up and then he mentioned something about people canceling because of the snowstorm. I kid you not, those were his exact words. We weren't really sure what he meant, but decided that there was no way he would give us a room that had been reserved for a honeymoon couple. We had room 147 which was really nice and well kept and had a king size bed. There wasn't anything in the room indicating that it was held for a honeymoon couple.

The Food
Breakfast was served buffet style and the options were plentiful! There was an omelet station, a crepe station and a quesadilla station along with lots of pastries, breads, cereal. The fruit selection was disappointing. There were several different juice selections as well.

We ate lunch at the Taco/ceviche bar everyday. The fish tacos were good as were the different ceviches. There was also a bbq station setup near the pool with burgers and hotdogs.

We ate at Oceana one night and were seated outside. It was freezing and seating inside is limited! There are no heat lamps to take the chill off. The food was good. One couple walked out because their steak was cold and he sent it back to the kitchen waited ½ hour and never got his plate back. We ate at Portofino two nights and then Himitsu on Valentines. Portofino was fine, nothing spectacular, but better than the rest. Don’t believe the hype about Himitsu. I thought it was overrated, but that could be because I live in NYC and get some of the best Asian foods. Also, everything was over salted and service was beyond slow. We waited 45 minutes before we were able to get a salad and dim sum at Himitsu. When the lobster fried rice came out, it was cold so we sent that back, but they promptly returned with a steaming bowl of fried rice. BTW, the lobster was so overcooked and chewy…

The pool / Ocean
One has to get to the pool area early morning to snag a chair which was a bit of a pain in the butt. It was very quiet by the pool and extremely relaxing. There are a few pool games like volleyball and water aerobics. There is also food and beverage service poolside. The water was very cold and few people were in the pool. The beach was ok. I have been to better beaches, but was fully prepared for a not so splendid beach here.

We each had two spa treatments and they were good. The spa was very nice and the service was impeccable. I didn’t really like the masseuse that I had, but again that is a personal preference so can’t really complain about that.

Overall, we had a great time. We went for a quick R&R and got exactly that. We didn’t really have late nights which were fine with us. We played tennis and ping pong couldn’t have been happier.

xoangelxoabbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

After a great deal of research I decided on Secrets Capri. From the time we entered the gates till we left we were treated exceptionally well. The staff was so nice and always there to assist you with anything you need. The food, bars, room, room service, spa..everything was exceptional. The weather was not so great while we were there, but that isn't the resort's fault. The beach is definitely not the greatest, but everything else at the resort was to notch. I will note that the resort tries to sell you spa services at every oppurtunity which is a bit annoying. But I just tried to ignore it.

Griswold, Ct.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

We loved the small size of this resort.The location is just 10 min.and $14.00 taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen.Free transportation from the Resort at night so you can experience the night life.We think the food was absolutely wonderful,the food service was very good,just one slow night, but that happens. Our room was O.K. not as beautiful as some of the other places we stayed at.We had a garden view room,so if you want a better room,maybe spend more on that,we liked our view and could see the ocean.Very quiet and private.Our room attendant was the worst one we ever had,our room wasn't cleaned until late afternoon and he was wanting to turn down while we were trying to get ready for dinner two hour later.Tried to place a tip in the frig for restock but he would have to check it to get it,which he didn't!!Tried to place a tip in the empty chip can,with a note in spanish,Just took the tip not the trash.Left a weeks worth of empty cocktail glasses,not enough towel...I'm sure you get the point.It was annoying but it didn't ruin our vacation!There is more positive than negative at this resort and we would absolutely return!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!