First, let me say this is our 3rd vacation to the Riviera Maya and each time it has gotten better (I don't think that will happen again!). This place was fantastic.
We went May 28, 2005 thru Jun3 4, 2005, and wished we could have stayed a lot longer!
Quick background, we are mid 30's with a child and the goal was to have a relaxing vacation. We have done other resorts in the area, but hands down this was the best SERVICE, FOOD, and atmosphere for relaxation.
However, if you are looking for fun and excitement, don't come here. While there are some daily activities in and by the pool, it is not really a "happening" kind of place during the day. And the night-life is pretty much non-existant. There are shows, but most are average or below what we have seen at some 4 and 5 apple resorts (we went throught apple vacations).
But again, we weren't there for shows or games, just drinks, naps, sun, and quiet walks along the beach.
The beach/ocean is much like most reviews, average. If you want clear blue, take the ferry to Cozumel.
We would definately go back again, but would avoid the apple transfer bus. We were the last stop and would have liked to get there bit sooner. Take a cab and avoid the apple people and set one up for return to the airport, because on the return ride, you are the first picked up! Thus you have to get up at the crack of dawn. Cab rides are not that expensive, especially compared to the private apple transfer.
Definately spend a day in Playa del Carmen, about 10 minutes away. Shop a get some goodies, then go back to the resort for food.
Our favorite spot for dinnner was the Himitsu (Japanese cuisine) - while there, definately do the habachi (spelling??) grill with table side cooking.
They have free internet service so you can stay in touch with home. They also provide free DVD's to watch in your room. Just be sure to TIP everybody, and do it early on, versus on the last day. You will be suprised how much you get for a couple bucks, or in some cases $5 or $10.
Have fun and if you have specific questions, don't hesitate to email me, I will be happy to let you know where else we've been and how those rate as well.
Not gonna post any pictures, the Secrets official site does a good job of representing their resort!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, a proud unlimited luxury resort has received special recognition from the esteemed readers of Condé Nast Traveler Magazine in Mexico and AAA as a Four Diamond Award resort. Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun was awarded the Best for Romance and Best Luxury-World by the 2008 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards. Only TripAdvisor's hotel awards represent the opinions of millions of travelers. The winners were determined by a combination of the highest traveler ratings and the TripAdvisor Popularity Index, a measurement of overall traveler satisfaction. Situated five minutes from exciting Playa del Carmen and a short 35-minute drive south of Cancun International Airport, the world's second largest barrier reef lies just offshore, while underground rivers, caves and jungles lure adventure-lovers. Bordered by sugar-white beaches and the brilliant, crystal clear Caribbean Sea, this Preferred Club, Unlimited-Luxury, adults-only oasis truly embraces beauty and splendor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Mayan Riviera
- Secrets Cancun
- Secrets Capri Riviera Maya
- Secrets Hotel
- Secret Hotel
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Secrets Playa Del Carmen
- Riviera Cancun
- Hotel Secret
- Capri Riviera Cancun