“a great honeymoon experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun

Save Saved
You added Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 387, Chetumal | Cancun Km. 299, Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #24 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Overland Park, Kansas
“a great honeymoon experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Capri 1-26 to 2-2. The service was the best. My husband had gone on a fishing trip one morning and caught an 8 lb Red Snapper. He brought it back to the hotel at the guides suggestion. We went to the concierge, who told us any restaurant could prepare the fish for us. We chose Seaside Grill. We had no idea what to expect. When we arrived to the restaurant that evening, Chef Guillermo came out to our table to meet us. He discussed his menu ideas with us and brought out every dish personally. What a treat!! He really made our honeymoon special. He made cerviche, sushi, and the most delicious red snapper filet over mashed potatoes and asparagus! It was to die for. I loved the look on my husband's face throughout the meal. Thank you chef Guillermo! This experience was the highlight of our stay there. All the staff there are exceptional and very attentive. I loved laying on the beach and getting drinks delivered. That is the life! The beaches are not the best but they keep the beach in front of the hotel picked up and the sand is soft and the view is great. I didn't mind the missing sand down by the water. Be careful when walking along the beach off the property. We found broken glass and trash during low tide. It did not make for the best walk.

Room Tip: we had a partial ocean view. It was quiet, private and a great view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SCRE-Concierge, E-concierge at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear valued customer,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.

First of all, we are happy to know that you spent a great time in our resort for your honeymoon and even more that thanks to Guillermo and the rest of the staff it has become an unforgettable memory. The fact the you noticed all the efforts made by them makes it very valuable.

As you mentioned the nature has damaged our beach, but everything is done by the personnel to keep it clean and secure.

We would be happy to help if you would like to come back, in that case do not hesitate to contact us at info.secrc@secretsresorts.com

4,637 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,032)
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We just got back from our trip and had an incredible time. Our ocean view deluxe room ( 536), was actually a full ocean view. It was wonderful to sit out on our balcony and sip our coffee in the morning, while gazing out at the beautiful sea. The food was great; we especially liked Portofino and went there twice. We were lucky to be selected along with 9 other couples to take part in each the chef's dinner, which consisted of a14 course tasting menu prepared in front of you( on screens). Wonderful!!!! The pool area was lively and fun, with much activity to choose from, but never pressured to participate. The beach itself is fine but it is impossible to go into the water, rocks and sticks that you can't see. We heard that there will finally be dredging done and new sand brought in, within the next 6 months. The best part if this resort is the staff. We have never been treated by staff so genuinely friendly, warm, and hard working. It's easy to fall in love with your surroundings when every need and want is met and always with a smile. Kudos to Secrets Capri for getting it right!!! We moved over to Secrets Marona our last 2 nights; will review that separately.

• Stayed February 2013
SCRE-Concierge, E-concierge at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear valued customer,

First of all, thank you so much for sharing your experience. It's a real pleasure to read your comments about our resorts.

We are happy to know that you appreciated every details, the attitude of our staff, the room, the entertainment in all the areas during your stay at Secrets Capri. It motivates us to continue on that way and to work even harder.

As you said the beach has suffered some damages, but we try to do our best to keep it clean and secure for you to be able to enjoy it.

We would feel honoured if you would like to come back, in that case, do not hesitate to contact us at info.secrc@secretsresorts.com

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I had only one little snag at check in, we were transferred from another property due to over booking it was an upgrade so I was happy. front desk guy did not want to be bothered and stuck his nose in the air. he would give us no info no map and put us in a room with double beds. I don't complain we pushed the beds together. The service is beyond top notch, I got looks and a rushing staff if I tried to take my own plate back [ by the pool]. Due to this kind of service, I witnessed several acts of rudeness and guess what everyone of them was american. [ loud spoiled, demanding, pushy, swearing, no class, bullies] I witnessed people treating a very hard working staff as their personal slaves and talking down to them. with over 800 people to service I was amazed at the level of effiency nd all around good humor and mood of the staff. You are in another country and the native tounge is spanish, we should make an effort. Hats off to you Capri staff if I had to put up with some of these people I don't think I would be all that nice.

Room Tip: I always thought I needed a room over looking water,,, not so my garden room was quiet with the swee...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SCRE-Concierge, E-concierge at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear valued customer,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience as well as your opinion.

We are more than glad that you noticed all the efforts made by the staff to please each guest. They really work hard to make your holidays perfect and the fact that you appreciated it makes it even more valuable.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay in our resort and we would feel honoured if you would like to come back. In that case, please, do not hesitate to contact us at info.secrc@secretsresorts.com

Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Traveled here between January 19-26th, stayed in a Jr. Suite on the 4th floor near the middle of the property with my husband for our honeymoon. Breaking up my review since I'm long winded. ;)

Room: The room was big enough. Not massive but why spend time in there anyway? The a/c unit leaked one night big time but I called in the morning and it was fixed right away. We barely used it after that since we could hear and see the ocean so we left the door open all night. WAY better and more comfortable in my opinion. The bathroom is not very private as other reviewers have stated, which is ok but bad when one of you gets sick like I did. It's embarrassing for you and I'm sure not very pleasant for your companion. I'd prefer more privacy. The jet tub was very loud and not that great. Water pressure was bad but it's not unusable. Water doesn't get super cold but again, not a big deal. The bed is insanely comfortable. My husband never sleeps anywhere, including at home, but this was the best sleep he said he has ever had. Decor a little outdated but who really cares? It's not terrible. Clean.

Service: Service is pretty good. I've read that tipping will get you better service. But I found that it depends on who you get. We tipped as we would tip at home as a general rule. One waiter on the beach came to me one morning probably 5 times, gave me a water, and I didn't ask for anything else, I gave no tip. He was still friendly and chatted with me. My husband and I returned after lunch and ordered a couple drinks - great service no matter what. That was Orlando. Another waiter (don't know his name) who we both ordered a drink from immediately one day and tipped, then completely ignored us for probably close to 2 hours despite the fact he was servicing other people around us. We had to go up to the bar and just get it ourselves. In the real world, this is not a huge deal. But in an all inclusive where you pay for that service ahead of time, it is annoying. Same for waitstaff. Some were so sweet, funny, friendly and accommodating while others were distant and not as friendly. We tipped accordingly. Bartenders were generally very nice and fast. We hit the concierge many times - each time they were nice and accommodating - once allowing us to make a call back to the states from their phone free of charge because we couldn't a.) get their app to work to make free calls home or b.) get a hold of anyone (bank/cc emergency). Basically everyone speaks English - some of the waitstaff and cleaning staff less so, but still enough to be able to communicate.

Food: This is a big one for us. I wouldn't call us "foodies" but we are big on food. We came here really wanting authentic Mexican. We love it at home. This resort does NOT have a Mexican restaurant. Please explain this to me? Italian, Japanese...but no Mexican? You can get tacos (which may or may not have been what had me in the bathroom all night) and a few other Mexican things at the restaurant near the beach but it's so limited and really doesn't seem to be anything special. It feels like..."Americanized Mexican" and that really sucked. We've had more authentic Mexican food in a small town at home (coincidentally named Playa Del Carmen) then we did here. The buffet one night had "Italian night". It was terrible. The worst pasta I've had in my life, no joke. The breakfast buffet was better but not great. I mean...it's a buffet. Out of all the food, nothing truly blew us away and it was generally...just ok. The coffees we had at the cafe were on a scale of so-so to bad. Too bad since we were seriously looking forward to some good fresh Mexican coffee. I don't remember his name but the waiter we had at Oceana was amazing. He was so nice, gave us shots of 1800 tequila just because he felt like it and explained all about it. He knew it was our honeymoon and had them write in chocolate "Happy honey moon" on the plate of dessert that we didn't even ask for. The food was very good there despite the fact that neither of us really like seafood and the service was personal and above our expectations. Again, I think it depends on who you get. That brings me to the:

Honeymoon Package: Upon arrival we got champagne, cool wet towels, and water (everyone does) but when we got to our room we were inundated with stuff. We received a bottle of champagne, flowers, etc. They just kept coming with stuff for us and there was a "Happy Anniversary" banner on the door. We didn't care it was wrong but they noticed without us saying anything and replaced it. We also received a complimentary spa visit - a couples massage, which was amazing for us both, and a private dinner on the beach. Our server was Hugo and he was awesome. So friendly, funny, and attentive. I went to the bathroom at one point and he was waiting at the beach to walk me back to the table on his arm. Our first night they even brought us little desserts and we were so tired and full that we couldn't even eat them. I felt really bad but I didn't know they were coming!

DR: As I mentioned, I was ill on one night. I'm guessing either from the cream I had in my coffee that was sitting on a non refrigerated shelf for who knows how long or the tacos mentioned earlier. I was so sick and probably also worked up which made it worse and ended up calling the doctor there. It cost us some money but knowing I was insured I just did it to be safe. The doctor, Dr. Victor Manuel Tovar Gonzalez from a local hospital, was there within 10 minutes and he was phenomenal. He was a little hard to understand but so sweet and so comforting to an American freaking out about being sick in Mexico. He explained everything to me, put me at ease, gave me a shot and some meds and I felt fine before he left the room aside from being a little shaken up still. We had to pay in cash but he let us go down to his office later the next day to do so.

Beach/Pool: We aren't big pool people but hung out there for a couple days. Staff is usually quick to bring you drinks if you want them.They have food around lunchtime set up - mostly American stuff but some chips/pico de gallo, salads, and (what seemed to be frozen) burgers that they grill up for you on the spot. There is a swim up bar that is always surrounded by laughing drunk folks. If you don't like that, which we didn't mind (that's really what this place is all about), then go to the beach which we much preferred because...ITS A BEACH. ;) Most days it's easier to get a seat on the beach than at the pool (which again, baffles me). The beach has definitely eroded (if you look at their promo image the beach is far smaller in reality now) but it's still an ok size in comparison to the size of the resort. And for the people complaining about it being rocky...I don't understand that. They had a worker walking the beach back and forth all day long raking up sticks and rocks into a wheelbarrow. It rained one night, which washed away some more beach (sad) and they had guys out there with axes chopping out stumps to make it better. You can't control mother nature people! If you go beyond the property in either direction it gets worse, true, but at Secrets Capri, I felt like they did their best to keep what was left clean. If you complain about this beach, come to New England where I'm from and you'll want to go back there in a heartbeat.

Entertainment/activities: Lots of stuff to do but most of it is corny and geared toward older people. Things like bingo, water aerobics, cheesy singers in the bar at night...They have Spanish lessons which I'm sad to say I missed. They have shows at night usually - only one we saw was a magician which was ok to pass the time. I did a yoga class one morning that I enjoyed. We also watched a little guacamole making demo which was only amusing because Alejandro ran it and he is a great entertainer. After that we did a tequila tasting which was awesome and informative/educational.

I'd like to add that at checkout we never received a receipt. We agreed to charge our card since we visited the spa and owed money on that. However, after getting home, the charges seemed wrong. I sent two emails, a couple weeks apart, and both were ignored. I had to use Facebook of all things to get some sort of response. After a huge string of emails (I didn't want to call long distance) with Jose and a few weeks, we finally came to the conclusion that there was an On-Command movie we were charged for. We never ordered any movie. After a million more emails, we came to find that we were not even there that entire day or during that time frame as we had taken a day trip to Tulum. We did receive a refund after I proved we were not at the hotel when the movie was charged. I hate to accuse and I can't prove this, but there was one day that we forgot to leave a tip for housekeeping. We think because the housekeeper wasn't tipped, they tried to get back at us by watching 26 or so minutes of a movie that charged us around $13. No, it's not a lot of money, but I am stubborn and knew we were wrongly charged. The lesson...get a receipt when you checkout and make sure the charges are correct before you leave.

Generally, we felt the atmosphere was cheesy and geared toward keeping sheltered Americans happy, drunk, and fat. My husband and I don't get to travel often so when we do we really want to take in the places we see. We want to see culture, natural wonders, history, and eat authentic local food. Here, we felt like we were in a tiny artificial USA bubble where they don't want you to feel like you are in Mexico, complete with constant American music. I don't think I heard one Mexican/Spanish song the entire time. This must be what people want, which is why I'm not rating this place worse. But we just can't understand why anyone would go to Mexico for this experience when you could just go to Florida or something like that. If you want to laze around, be pampered to an extent, and relax with drinks, so-so food, very little adventure, Mexican culture or food, then this is the place for you. If you want to see authentic Mexico and not an artificial USA and won't have a ton of extra money to do daily excursions outside of the resort, then this is not the place for you. Again, I'd rate worse if I thought most people agreed with us but I don't. This just wasn't exactly the place for us. At the ages of 26 and 28, we must just not be "resort" people yet. When I'm 50, tired, and want to get away from my job and my kids, then maybe this would be perfect.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of ocean, lower rooms have better view/access to pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SCRE-Concierge, E-Concierge at Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear valued customer,

Thank you for taking the time and most of all for describing your review as you have. It would be very helpful for us and for many who wish to visit Secrets Capri.

As you mentioned the rooms are beautiful and spacious. However that dividing window from the bathroom to the bed might not be the best option. We don´t like the fact you dislike it and know many others don´t as well. We are sharing your information in house to work on suitable options for a positive change.

There should not be a necessity to tip and receive a great service. You are entitled to unlimited luxury and we will definitely promote this with our staff and share your great comments as well as your suggestions and point of view.

Our restaurants are standad of our company and we would love to have a Mexican restaurant as well and believe us when we do it will be the number one news we will share with everyone as I am sure many would love to have this option as well.

Glad you enjoyed your honeymoon and the best is you experienced the Eternity Package. Full of surprises and inclusions that I know you and others also enjoy.

We are so happy to have a doctor around when needed, definitely a very important part of a resort and we know they do a great job and be nice to guest in general. Thank you for the comments we will share these.

Our beach situation has been improving day after day and it is sad many dont realize we have somebody there every day to keep the beach safe and clean as much as possible. As mentioned we cannot be hold responsible but we can do our best to maintain it. Soon the restoration Project will come to an end and the results will be amazing.

Happy to read the charge situation came to a solution. We honestly hope that you do consider to return in the near future as I am sure many things will be different in the best possible way. Should you need further assistance please don´t hesitate to contact us at info.secrc@secretsresorts.com.

Best regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just returned from a business meeting at the resort. This is my fifth trip to Cancun in five years for business and have yet to find a hotel that does the business side well.

So, let's split the review into business and pleasure.

Business pros: cost effective for a small group and staff managing the meeting space was helpful and very friendly - they really did try to do right by us. Meeting room food (breaks) was ok - what you expect. ( All meals were taken in the restaurants.)

Business cons: Wifi kept cutting in and out (dropped constantly, often couldn't get in for hours, cell service was non existent), meeting space was too small and restaurants took too long to get seated - no matter what time we tried to get in (7, 8 and 9 pm - each time had a 45 minute-1 hr wait for the most part, whether it was three or more of us). Also, when i go for a business meeting, I really don't want to have to go to those bull-you-know-what meetings they make you go to for transportation and such. It's just annoying (though this place had the most reasonable people I've dealt with in five years).

Personal Pros:
Friendly staff. Heard good things about the spas. lounges were nice. people were friendly. a lot of good coupons you could actually use.

Personal cons: transportation from airport (pre paid as part of our vacation package) was a little lengthy for some of our group. I waited about 30 minutes, even though i was supposed to have some special service. Room on 5th floor was VERY noisy when they were playing music in the main lobby area 9a few nights). just a bit too much because of how loud it was in the room (the rooms away from the elevator). Too long a wait to get in restaurants.

Italian restaurant: good. wait staff was terrific. try the duo of shrimp/scallops and the risottos.
Mexican grill near the beach - GREAT for lunch. try the burgers, the pork tacos and the fish tacos. FABULOUS waitress (whose name is escaping me right now).

Buffet - that was easy to get into whenever I went. Shout our to Angel, who took care of me a few days. Omelet station is great - Rita does a fabulous job. decent selections on fruit, cereals and eggs - also had some items that were "heartier" for breakfast. Lunch was pretty good, though i prefer the beachside grill.

Lounge - quick service, really take care of you while you are waiting for a table at a restaurant or just hanging out.

General comment: was a little surprised at the age of the group. Though there were definitely groups of people there in their twenties/early-mid thirties, the crowd seemed to me to be mostly an older group - mid forties, fifities and sixties. I guess I just figured it would be a younger group like the other places I've stayed - it was a nice mix and while ti was fun and people seemed to be having a great time, it didn't have that loud drunken craziness I've seen at some of the resorts. People were definitely having fun and enjoying themselves - as was m y group --I appreciated that.

Would i go back? I think so. There were enough positives and everyone who had more free time than I did, seemed to be having a great time...so i'd like to try to get some of that.

Room Tip: stay away from the low 5's - the opposite end from where elevators are. Gets noisy when they ha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear valued customer,

We really appreciate you took the time to share your experience. I'm sure it's going to be very helpful not only for us to improve, but also for many future guest wishing to book their holidays in our resorts.

We feel very honoured that someone with your experience in so many different hotels enjoy his stay and we are glad to know that you appreciate the way the hotel manages the meetings. There is always space for improvement and we are already looking to get better wifi connexion in the meeting's room and to find a way for a group to wait less before eating. Our F&B staff does its best for each person to feel special and sometimes that can take a little bit more time than you could have expected.

As you mentioned we have the luck to have a great mix of guests, young and older, coming for business, for a weeding or simply for holiday and our entertainment staff work hard until late to entertain the ones who came here to have fun and that isn't always compatible with guest that need to take rest. However, our staff would have been glad to propose -if available- a room with a tropical view which are usually situated in a quitter location in the hotel.

Once again thank you to share your opinion but even more for all the tips about the restaurant. I'm sure there is more than one who will use them.

If you would like to come back to enjoy as you said before more the pleasure part or even for another meeting or special event we would be glad to help you. Do not hesitate to contact us at info.secrc@secretsresorts.com

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at Secrets Capri from February 11-21st 2013 and we had a fantastic time. All the staff treat like your like you are family so you feel like you are at home right away. The hotel is spotlessly clean and very well maintained. The only small negative was the beach. It was very small, rocky and murky. Maybe because of the time of year it was very windy which made eating at the beach restaurant difficult. We had a ocean view room overlooking the pool and the view was beautiful. Housekeeping cleaned the room twice a day complete with turn down service every evening and did a great job. The food as a whole is excellent from the buffet to the ala-carte restaurants. Very,very flavorful and well prepared. And what can I say about the entertainment team they are the "BEST". Humberto, Victor, Jesus and Aldo made sure that we were well taken care of from drink to daily activities. They would go out of their way to greet you in the morning by name and get you involved in all the activities throughout the day and evening. They treat everyone as they are special. We met a lot of warm wonderful people from all over the world. We would highly recommend this resort to any and all.
Calvin and Maureen.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued customer,

First of all, thank you so much to share your experience with us. I'm sure it's going to help more than one to plan its holiday with us.

As you mentioned, it's one of our priority to keep our resort clean not only in the room but in all the areas as well as the beach. Unfortunately, because of natural erosion it has suffered some damages but our personnel works hard to keep it secure and clean.

We are glad to hear that you spent such a great time in our resort. It's true that every member of the staff try to do its best for you to feel at home and have unforgettable memories. And I can tell you that Humberto, Victor, Jesus and Aldo will be more than happy to know that they made your stay so great!

Once again, we really appreciate that you shared you experience and would be honoured if you decided to come back.

Should you require any information please contact us at info.secr@secretsresorts.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Secrets Capri the last week of January, traveling with another couple, celebrating our 20th wedding anniversaries. We were upgraded to ocean view rooms due to that fact, with beautiful balcony view of the resort and ocean! Everything other reviewers have said about the staff are very true...smiles, always asking what they can do for you, five star service 24/7. We have been to many all inclusive resorts, but this was our first time to a Secrets resort. Definitely would return or visit another Secrets property! This is a smaller resort but for five days, was perfect for us. We were concerned about the other reviews mentioning lack of beach and poor swimming. However, don't let that deter you. There are PLENTY of beach lounges to each the sun and sound of surf, water was pretty while we were there, and you can walk for miles along the beach if you wish. If you walk North about 10 minutes along the beach (turn to left when facing ocean with resort behind you), there is a beautiful lagoon where you can swim, snorkel, etc. We enjoyed the specialty restaurants, not having to make reservations, and wide assortment of options. We did not eat in the main restaurant for dinner, but enjoyed breakfast there each day (Rita makes best omelettes). Used the catamarans, tennis courts and work out facility. Entertainment team was fun (who thought Bar Bingo could be so fun and competitive??!!) and worked hard to keep us all laughing. Orlando at the pool kept us refreshed and fed. The rooms and grounds are immaculate, thank you to all the maid's and grounds keepers for your efforts. If you are looking for an intimate resort to relax, laugh, be treated like a king/queen, and enjoy the sun in an all-adult environment, this is for you! And try a Mexican Iceberg or Cabana drink for us... We are still talking about good those were. :)

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued customer,

Thank you so much to share your wonderful experience with us.

We are more than happy to know that your holidays in our resort achieved your expectations and that you keep great memories about your stay .

About the beach, you are definitely right. Our resort has the luck to be situated in the Caribbean Sea, one of the most beautiful in the world. So, as you mentioned, it's for sure a great place to enjoy all the activities that someone, coming to enjoy the sun and the beach, would like to do.

Knowing that you were happy not only with the accommodation but with the efforts made by every member of the staff for you to spend a great time, makes me think that our mission, which is that you spent amazing vacations with us, has been accomplished.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Management

Been to Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!