I would say that you have to try really hard to have a terrible vacation experience. It is generally what you make it. Our stay, January 13th through the 19th was great. The property is fairly compact with nice facilities overall. Anywhere you go there will be maintenance issues due to general use. This resort was no different, but we did not have any affect us directly. During our stay my observation was that the clientele at this resort was mainly middle aged. If you are looking for a 24/7 party, it probably isn't here. Also, evening dress seemed to be not as casual as at other resorts we have been to.
Room - nice sized. Bed is very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The decor could use updating as some of the furniture and wall hangings show quite a bit of wear. Bathroom is not extremely private (see photo) but is very large and well appointed. Lighting in the rooms leaves a lot to be desired. Even with all lights on I still felt it was dark. I did have problems regulating the air conditioning, but managed to keep the room comfortable by turning it off and opening the patio door when it was too cool. We really enjoyed the patio and the stocked refrigerator. The maid service in the morning and turn-down service at night ensured that the room was always fully stocked with beverages (plenty of bottled water) and towels.
Pool Area & Beach - The pool deck area was always clean and we never had problems finding a chair to lounge in. The service out here was also great. The beach was actually better than I had expected. There is a fairly large section that was damaged during a hurricane, but what was there was nice.
Restaurants & Food - We are not picky eaters, so really had no problem finding something to eat. I enjoy trying different things and really thought everything we had was fairly good. Of course, due to personal taste, some was better than other. We ate at all of the restaurants and enjoyed the food at every one of them. We were a bit disappointed with the time that dinner took at Oceana and the Seaside Grill (almost three hours), but the food was good. Our favorite restaurant was Himitsu (reservations required for the hibachi grill). The breakfast buffet was very good (try the french toast).
Staff - always friendly and helpful. I tipped liberally because I feel more comfortable doing that, but I don't know that it really improved service. The entertainment staff is very good at what they do. The guys are all super friendly and easy to talk to. There were shows every night that were well attended and enjoyed. I was a little surprised to not see the general manager at all during the stay.
I would definitely recommend this property to others and would return. The good points far outweigh any bad points that could be found.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, a proud unlimited luxury resort has received special recognition from the esteemed readers of Condé Nast Traveler Magazine in Mexico and AAA as a Four Diamond Award resort. Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun was awarded the Best for Romance and Best Luxury-World by the 2008 TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards. Only TripAdvisor's hotel awards represent the opinions of millions of travelers. The winners were determined by a combination of the highest traveler ratings and the TripAdvisor Popularity Index, a measurement of overall traveler satisfaction. Situated five minutes from exciting Playa del Carmen and a short 35-minute drive south of Cancun International Airport, the world's second largest barrier reef lies just offshore, while underground rivers, caves and jungles lure adventure-lovers. Bordered by sugar-white beaches and the brilliant, crystal clear Caribbean Sea, this Preferred Club, Unlimited-Luxury, adults-only oasis truly embraces beauty and splendor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Mayan Riviera
- Secrets Cancun
- Secrets Capri Riviera Maya
- Secrets Hotel
- Secret Hotel
- Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Secrets Playa Del Carmen
- Riviera Cancun
- Hotel Secret
- Capri Riviera Cancun