“I still daydream about our great time there!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Maya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Playa Maya
You added Playa Maya to your Saves list
Playa del Carmen, Q Roo 77710, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Arkansas
“I still daydream about our great time there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

I meant to write a review as soon as we returned home around this time last year. I never did, but have thought of our time at Playa Maya so frequently that I still wanted to say just a few words.
The comfort, staff friendliness, beautiful beach, delicious food ...all were better than even expected! I POURED over tripadvisor when I planned our vacation & was SO happy that all those previous reviews were exactly right - I HAD indeed found the best beachfront hotel there was! We even decided to stay a bit longer than originally planned because of what a great time we were having, but they were booked after our reserved time. So, we just went over to Cozumel & tried out an all-inclusive. We quickly learned that that was NOT for us & that the charm, calmness & personal attention at Playa Maya was definitely the best. Oh, and we stayed in both the beachview & the garden room (we knew beforehand that we'd need to change rooms due to being booked). I must say that we thoroughly enjoyed both rooms. The beachview was, of course, beautiful, but the quiet, pretty garden space with a jacuzzi for the 2 of us was wonderful as well. Also, the hotel is very quiet at night (which we loved) but is also so close to everything that if you want restaurants, bars, etc...it's a VERY short walk away. HIGHLY recommend Playa Maya!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

To sum it up Quick,...big group every february,..it's an annual thing....Love it every year! Great Staff, love them all, great mgmt! Rooms,..always clean with fresh stock of water, and cute towels on the bed to make ya smile,..restaurant awesome food and service,..pool not huge but will to to cool off if ya don't like the oceans salt.!! AWESOME! Can't wait to go this feb.! 2 weeks!!!!

• Stayed February 2009
Edmonton Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

We stayed at the Playa Maya for 9 nights January 8-17th .This hotel lived up to and surpassed all the good things I had read in reviews .From the moment we arrived we were treated so well.The staff took great effort in making us feel welcome and if we needed anything to just ask.I cannot say enough good things about the people who work there.From Nora and Pedro at the front desk to Jaun the room attendant also all the great people in the restaurant ,Carlos,Othman,and Jesus .we so enjoyed visiting with them all each day .

Our first impressions of the place were how incredibly clean it is .The main reception ,the pool area,and the rooms are kept immaculate.I think this was honestly the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in .There was alway someone working, tidying and taking care of things.The fellow that cleaned our room Juan was so efficient and it was a pleasure to visit with him each day.He always took the time to teach me a little spanish each day .The next day he would check in with me to see if I remembered last days lessons.We had fun with that.

One of the owner /managers Steve happend to be there during our stay . It was great to meet him as I have communicated with him through booking and on Trip Advisor. The booking process was handled by him very well as I had many ?'s etc and he answered promptly and gave good info.He was out and about with the guests and staff the whole week .each day checking in with us and other guests to see how everything was going.

We enjoyed the breakfast that ws included in our stay everyday.It was plentiful and provided several choices.We also ate lunch there quite a few times and the food was very good.We loved the Coconut Shrimp and split sandwiches with fries for lunch or a late afternoon snack.Our friends had the burger and chicken sandwhich and said both were good.I liked that we just put everything on our room bill and payed at teh end of the week.That was you did not need to carry cash down to the beach .We would write the tips down on the room bill as well.

Something else we really enjoyed was the size of the hotel.From my room to the beach or restaurant was less than a 5 min walk .This is so much better than at the large AI's where it is a 20 min trek to get anywhere.The other advantage to being in a smaller hotel was meeting people.we met so many other guests here more than on any other vacation we have been on.This was nice to be able to visit and share info about different things to do or reccomendations of where to eat etc.It really added to our trip.

While we were there a wedding was going on that week .The wedding was beautiful and held right there on the beach with the reception in the restaurant also on the beach.The staff did an incredible job of helping out with this.Steve and the staff went to great lengths to help make it as private for them as possible blocking off the area as best they could.I had made friends with the bride earlier in the week and spoke with her that night and the next days afterwards she says it was a perfect wedding .

One thing that did occur while we were there that was no fault of the Playa Maya was the beach reconstruction.When we arrived it was happening all the way down the beach and no where near us .As the week went on it stayed down there and did not get any closer .We asked when it would be in front of the Playa Maya and they thought from all they knew it would'nt be until closer to the end of the month .Then on the Friday the crew just came and put up the fence and told staff that the beach would be unusable the next day .This was shocking and very poorly communicated to the staff of the hotel.Seems to me the manager of the Beach Project should have been more forthcoming with info to the hotels . The hotel gave us a 30% discount on our nights that were affected by this.For us it was only 2 days but for some who had just arrived they would be affected longer.The hotel did all they could it seems to find out when and how long they would be without beach access but the communication seemed poor from the workers of the project. Hopefully all is a go now and people are back to enjoying the new bigger beach as they said they hoped to gain 25 meters more of beach form the project.Again this was not any fault of the Playa Maya and to me handled as well as could be .

we loved the area so much with such great access to 5th avenue but also in a quiet spot.
At night you could hear the music at times from teh bar down the beach but barely over the lapping of the waves .

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone .Go you will not be sorry .Please feel free to private message me if you have any questions.I will also be writing a few restaurant reviews soon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Since I use Trip Advisor all the time to plan our trips, and thoroughly enjoy the reviews and forums, decided it was about time to post a review of my own. Without going into lots of detail, I would just like to confirm that ALL the good comments made here about Playa Maya are absolutely TRUE! Our trip was originally scheduled for the first week in May, during the height of the swine flu scare. Steve was more than accommodating in allowing us to cancel our reservation. We were very fortunate to be able to rebook for early December and the email reservation process was very easy.

The first word I look for in any hotel review is CLEAN.....and the Playa Maya is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. The staff is wonderful.....friendly and attentive. LOCATION is perfect.....right on the beach, yet only one block from 5th. Included breakfasts are great. Enjoyed our evening strolls on 5th and trying a different restaurant for dinner every night.

The pool is small, but we never used it, with the beach and ocean right out our front door. I would have liked a coffeemaker in our room, but this turned into a non-issue since fresh coffee was available in the lobby every morning at 7am. One morning, the beautiful sunrise woke me earlier.....took an enjoyable and uncrowded walk on 5th and found a Starbuck's a block away that opened at 6:30am (only made it there that one time).

In my opinion, this is the perfect hotel for those travelers who would like to have a non-AI experience. Small, nothing fancy......just a wonderful location with a great and friendly staff, easy access to 5th, and very reasonable prices for both the rooms and food. Can't wait to return!

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Cleanliness is a top priority at this beach hotel. Quiet. Good value includes breakfast selections. The rooms are not elaborate but have everything you need plus flat screen TV & mini-refrig. We spent our days relaxing on the beach enjoying the service of the long-term friendly staff...delivering to us our orders of their delicious food and cold beverages. We've stayed here several times and we'll be back again.

Two Rivers, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I will start out by saying that this was our first trip to a non-AI after six visits to different AIs all over Mexico. Our main reason for the change was cost. As a teacher, I am pretty locked in when it comes to travel during the school year. That means I can go only at the peak times, like Christmas. When we started researching our trip, we found that AI prices at this time were sky high, so we decided to find a small hotel in the heart of Playa. We made a list of our must haves for a hotel, and then started at the top of TA’s list of hotels until we found the one with everything on our list. Playa Maya was the hotel we found, and wow, are we glad we did!

I have to repeat what all the other reviews have said. The staff is what makes this place special! Everyone from the front desk people to the waiters to the cleaning staff went out of the way to make our stay incredible. We had a slight problem with our toilet the first night. We called the front desk, and someone was in our room within 1 minute to fix it. That is service you don’t get at very many places! I think the people alone are the reason we will return. Even booking was a breeze with Steve. We ended up changing our reservation, and he directed to the room type that best met our needs. He really payed attention to what we wanted.

We had room 301, which is a superior balcony on the top floor. It was perfect. We had a great view of the beach, there was a small balcony to sit on, and we could listen to the waves in the evenings. We would have liked to sleep with the patio doors open, but music from some of the beach bars was a little loud. That’s okay, because it got pretty warm without the AC anyway. We thought the room was a nice size for our needs, and the bed and pillows were nice and comfy. The bottled water daily was really nice, and we like the fridge in the room too.

Breakfast on the beach was fantastic. As others have said, there is nothing like having your toes in the sand right away in the morning! The included breakfast was more than enough for us, and the variety kept us satisfied all seven days, so we never ventured off resort. We really liked being able to get up from breakfast, walk a few feet, and be at our beach chairs for the day. Drinks and lunch were great too. We ate lunch here five times, we had drinks daily, and our bill at the end of the week was under $150 US, which we thought was really reasonable. Their Miami Vices are fabulous, by the way! :-)

At night, we walked a block up the street to 5th Avenue, then meandered up and down side streets and the main drag. We never had a bad meal, although some stood out more than others. We loved El Bistro at La Tortuga, Bistro 524, and Carboncitos. We watched the Packers win at Tequila Barrel, the Badgers win at Bistro 524, and Minnesota lose at Carlos and Charlies and from the comfort of our balcony!

There is nothing about our trip that we would change, except to make it longer if we could! Thank you to everyone at Playa Maya for making our vacation special. We are already planning our return trip, this time with the kids. And we honestly don't know if we will ever go back to an AI again!

Mazeppa, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

This is our second stay at Playa Maya in January. Everything remains fabulous!! Small boutique hotel -- intimate, clean, reasonably priced, free breakfast served in a palapa on the beach, free wireless, wonderful food (try the octopus tacos!) and drinks on the beach or poolside patio. But the BEST part of Playa Maya is the STAFF. From the maids, to waiters, to desk staff, to beach/bellboys, everyone is so friendly, helpful, and truly intent on serving the customers. At the end of the week, we feel like we are leaving family.
Henry and Chris Schultz

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Maya? Share your experiences!