“Hidden extras” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Reef Coco Beach

You added The Reef Coco Beach to your Saves list
The Reef Coco Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Costera Norte S/N, Lote 1 Mza.7 de la Region 6, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico (Formerly Grand Coco Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Super Spa Deal
Ranked #123 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Rimini
“Hidden extras”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Let me say that all inclusive does NOT mean 'all inclusive'. Internet costs $49 a week (or $15 a day). Taxi charge $5 if they call them (even though you can see the taxi outside the gate) they charged me for the concierge phoning about my courtise bus to the airport. And lastly if you want to eat in the on-site (all inclusive) Mexican restaurant it costs $6.5 per person. It's just money after money. The staff are very friendly , it's the admin and the money governed rules that spoil it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay overall.

Highlights, small resort (but it had all the emmenties you would want). Pool was great. Friendly staff. Good food. Room was clean and good for our family.

Areas to be aware, beach was nice, but their were a lot of boats right in front of the resort about , which ruined the view a bit, that being said if you go to the left or right of the resort the view of cozomel in the distance to the right and open Ocean to the left were breath taking. Thought it was odd that there was a sur charge for one of the alacarte restaurants. Internet for the week was expensive at 45$.

Also, booked with sunwing and won't again. The flight going home was delayed first by 4 hrs then 1 hr and then again by 1 hr with no explanation. We were supposed to fly out at 8 and didn't fly till after 1 am (not fun with a 6 yr old and 1 year old). Also, they lost part of our luggage and the customer service through it all was lacking.

We would stay again but through a different service.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Let me preface this with the following:

We are campers. Our expectations are not high. We often look to find a deal when we book hotels, staying in bed and breakfasts on St. John. The fancy amenities fall short with us, considering we are barely at the hotels we book. We like to enjoy the surrounding areas and are often gone for the better part of the day, not spending much time in the hotels we stay at, so we don't need the fancy.

Now that that is stated, even with our LOW expectations (because we knew we weren't staying at the ritz when booking Reef CoCo), this all-inclusive "resort" is not worth the money paid. This we quickly realized upon pulling up to the resort in our rental. My husband and I looked at each other and laughed. Yep, they got us - we thought. "We should've listened to the reviews" my husband said. Most of what is said in earlier posts are completely accurate, so I will not restate every little detail. The food at the buffet is awful. How could eggs be THAT bad? Well, they can. The rooms are dirty, old, and just plain gross (remember now, we love camping - so for the rooms to be dirty, they have to be bad!). One thing not mentioned in many reviews is the location of the resort. I supposed we expected to pull up to a grand entrance, as one typically imagines when arriving to an all inclusive resort. This is not the case. You drive through a dumpy part of the city and the hotel is literally right off a main street, with construction, local living, and main roads right in front of it. It is true that it is about a 15-20 minute walk on the beach to 5th Avenue and about a 10 minute walk through the town to 5th Avenue.

The bottom line is, if you put forward about $300 more towards the trip, you can stay somewhere down the road at a nicer, better located resort with greater amenities and perks.

I would recommend this hotel to college students or a group of like singles with low expectations, looking for a fun time in Mexico, who do not have ANY extra money in their account to consider something slightly higher. For couples or families, definitely put forth the extra couple hundred dollars to stay somewhere nicer in Playa del Carmen. You'll end up spending that much on dinner outside of the resort anyway if you stay here.

Room Tip: DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR A POOL VIEW ROOM. EVERY ROOM FACES THE POOL!! They shouldn't even make thi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Katie,

We want to say thank you for your comments, we feel so sorry that your expectations of the hotel were not fulfilled, If we had known of your disagreements during your stay we would have done everything to solve this and provide you with the best possible experience. It is easy to make sure the cleaning will be done properly. Normally this is not an issue at our hotel and we express our most sincere regrets you had this experience.

Our location is right on the beach and you have to walk exactly 3 blocks to arrive to the downtown 5th Avenue. The hotel has 196 rooms. The type of entrance you expected is like the entrance of the bigger hotels in the area located on the highway. For these hotels you have to drive 5 / 10 minutes within the property to actually arrive to the lobby for example for a 3000 room hotel. Also when you walk from the lobby to the beach area, it will be another 10 – 15 minutes. We offer a “boutique style”All Inclusive hotel located in down town, which makes the entrance smaller and you can even see the beach from our lobby area. We are very sorry you to hear you had a different perception and was not aware at the time of booking.

Regarding the value for money, we have received many comments that say we have very affordable rates considering we are an all inclusive hotel and comparing price and quality. We are sorry we were not able to meet your expectations.

We wish you happy travels in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I came the end of 2012 when it was still coco bay. had a blast and the food was great. service exceptional, the location was great being close to fifth ave. and the drinks well lets just say we stayed toasty throughout the day. . the place was under a little construction, so it was loud at times, but the noise was Not constant nor was we there to focus on the noise. we go to focus on gods beautiful creations and that place sure did have some around. . even though there where boats on the water who cares, it made for nice scenery. and for those that complain about the beach being small, come on now how much of the ocean are you going to swim over. anyways to make a long story short where coming back in November 2014 actually going to bookit through bookit next week. hope we see a few faces we remembered and also have a easy check in again and nice room like last time. see you soon Reef! coco. bongo may have to get attended this time!

• Stayed November 2013
Chisinau, Moldova
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Beautiful, quiet hotel with good service and location. Has a picturesque clean beach, also next to fishing boats, which is quite convenient for fishing lovers. Many interesting activities during the day and staff speak at least two languages. Definetely would come again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sellersburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed in this prison from 7/6-7/13. Although my situation would not happen to many, it shows the true character if this resort's staff. A much longer version of this factual review will be sent to the corporate level of Coco Beach. $750 US dollars was stolen from my wallet on day 4 of our stay. We returned from breakfast when I discovered it. The next 4 days consisted of me making police reports and being treated with total disrespect. Room key entrance times were checked and multiple discussions and interviews were held. The hotel managers and staff were of little help with the police or making this terrible loss better. All the information gathered indicated it was an inside jib. I won't make this lengthy for someone reading multiple reviews. I will just say our final 3 days were hell. We did not feel safe since we know the theft was in internal job. I had many "heart-to-heart" discussions with the top management on my assurance that this was the resort staff's doing. On the final night, I was offered a free 4 night stay. The manager asked me to consider it. He also agreed to arrange transportation to the airport the following morning, which I did appreciate at that moment. The next morning I was asked to sign a "Minor Inconvenience" form before I took their transportation. I refused of course for this is far from over. lt was one finsl insult on top of the last 3 days of stewing in the heat waiting to go home. I can't explain how much hurt and anger (above and beyond the $720) we experienced at this resort.

• Stayed July 2014
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We just left the hotel and I am already missing the place:) The place is just amazing , small beach and very private , very nice people working at the hotel. Kids club lady is extremely nice also the entertainment guy at the pool is fab! They have activities for everyone . My daughters loved it ! The food in Italian restaurant is lovely . Buffet for breakfast is good , enough to choose from. I was expecting less but got everything I wanted. Really sad that I have chosen to stay in Bahia principe tulum ( which was very disappointing in many ways...)for a week before our short visit to The reef coco beach. I wish I had spend here all two weeks of our trip to mexico:)

Stayed July 2014
ManagementGCB, Manager at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Monduka,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your vacation in our resort.
We are very happy about your nice comments about the delicious food at the Italian restaurant, the amazing place, private beach and the nice and helpful staff, kids club.
We really appreciate your stunning comments; we have special offers for our returning guests, so if you decide to come back to visit us any time please let us knows.
We would be very happy to welcome you here once more.
Warmest regards
Guest Service

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!