I don't know where to even start with this review. Our stay was THAT bad. However, I will start with the PROS: you can't beat the location. It is close (like 30-40 minutes) from several water parks and it is also close to fifth street, which is a cute little downtown in Playa Del Carmen. Besides that, I would not recommend this place to anyone. The staff is somewhat friendly and accommodating. For example, we were sitting outside on the patio and a huge coconut fell on the table next to us, almost hitting a guest on the head. The family was freaking out. At that same time, a manager was walking by our table and looked the other way. He didn't stop to ask if everyone was ok or any sort of reassurance. I will just list the problems I had as to shorten the length of this review:
1. The shower head fell on my head the first night in our room. I told the front desk and they laughed.
2. The beds are ridiculously hard. Like floor hard. If you have a bad back, stay away!
3. The pool furniture is disgusting. I don't think it's ever been washed or clean. They all had bird poop or other sorts of stains. And not just one or two stains but I mean the entire seat/bed.
4.They have a snack portion as part of the resort and only one cook. You can imagine the line for a piece of pizza.
5. Our door latch did not work. We had to wait for the repair man to come and fix it.
6. The food is pretty gross too. It's all inclusive but we ended up eating out.
7. They try to get you to do a 90 minute time share presentation as soon as you check in. They are very persistent.
In the end, the manager ended up apologizing to us and gave us a partial refund. He was willing to give us a "better" room but we ended up running for the hills. In the midst of all this chaos and wasted time at the front desk, we had asked to speak to the manager several times. Each time it was denied. The front desk person seemed terrified of having us speak to him. Overall, this place needs to shut down and be completely remodeled. Stay away!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, Grand Coco Bay is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Nestled on a lengthy stretch of beach, just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life’s the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen’s famous 5th avenue, Playacar’s Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulúm and much, much more.The hotel offers 202 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ventilator of ceiling, mini bar, 27 TV inches with sign for cable, tumble dryer of hair, vanity mirror, telephone and bath with watering-can and tub ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico