“The best vacation ever for a long time!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Reef Coco Beach

You added The Reef Coco Beach to your Saves list
The Reef Coco Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Costera Norte S/N, Lote 1 Mza.7 de la Region 6, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico (Formerly Grand Coco Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Super Spa Deal
Ranked #124 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
San Jose, California
“The best vacation ever for a long time!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I am 3 weeks late on writing this review, but it's never to late.Playa del Carmen was the best vacation I've had for a long time. First of all, I would like to give thanks to Grand Coco Bay Resort, for their great hospitality. They made me and my cousin feel special and we will recommend this resort to our friends. Luis the Lobby Bartender was very great with us and is a great mixoligist. GCB has a great empolyee working for them. He interacts with the guest very well and makes them laugh and make them feel welcomed. I believe that is the goal for GCB to have from their employees. My cousin and I were talking one night with Luis about how good is a cucumber mojito would be, and the next day he surprised us with cucumber mojitos and cucumber margaritas. They were very deliscious. We also encountered with a grat bellman, Victor! He was very pleasant and very helpful in everyway. Thank you GCB and see you soon again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Sonilee74,

All the GCB staff thank you for your comments, it will be a joy to welcome you and your family again in Grand Coco Bay, for your next visit you will receive special amenities in your room, "repetitive guest" .

Have an excelent day,
The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Small hotel, not very amazing. The beach is good, except for boats. I wish there were no boats, because it smelled. Food was very good, really liked it. The omelets were amazing! It was my fav morning meal! The water is awesome! It around 20 min walk to the town (along the beach).
Quite nice, nothing special.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Zapca,

We want to thank you for all your coments, remember to come back soon, it will be a pleasure to welcome you again in Grand Coco Bay.

Have a good day,
The management.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The only reason we stayed at this hotel was because it was close to 5th and because it was close to wedding festivities we were attending for close friends.
We are usually buy days from our friends who are Palace members. Our first trip to Playa was at the Riu Maya Riviera and while it was no Moon Palace, we were not expecting the experience we had at Grand Coco Bay.

We are not unreasonable people. We do not have money. BUT here is a recap of our experience:

Upon arriving, we were handed remote controls (why aren't these in the rooms? we realized it was probably because there is a history of them being stolen).
We were told that in order to use the safe in the room, we had to fork over 3 dollars a day (what?) Even in Vegas we never had to pay for the use of a safe.
We had to pay $15 USD to use wireless internet. I am in school and taking an online class so I needed internet to do my work. There is no change, so make sure you use 1 $5 and 1 $10 bill.

Grand Coco Bay had a decent pool and a swim up bar, just don't expect to be served drinks at the swim up bar. Guests had to go up to the bar outside the pool if they wanted to drink.

There is no poolside service. That may be something only larger resorts do though.

My beloved fiance forgot the wedding invitation back at home so I had to call around to other hotels to find our friends to get information. A day and a half of calling occurred before we found out that they too had been calling us and leaving messages for us.
We never received our messages.
My fiance had to call to Playacar Palace to get one of the bell hops to find them so we could speak on the day of the wedding. They told us that they were constantly transferred throughout our hotel, even though they had given them our room number. Then they left messages we never received.

On arrival, we were told to schedule our return flight back. Because we were accosted by the concierge who tried to sell us, we just opted to stay away from them until the day before we left.
At that time we were informed (Lomas representative) that because we didn't give him 3 days to get the transport vehicle he could not guarantee our pick up in the AM. That's fine we said, and we arranged our own transport. The next day, we were packing and received no less than 3 wake up calls, and a final call from the driver saying he had us on his schedule to take us to the airport at 8:15 AM. Nobody bothered to tell us this and IF they did, remember, we never received messages.
The only button on our phone that worked was 0 so we couldn't call anywhere without going through the operator.
In one instance, I asked for a cup so I could get some water and was told there were no more cups.
Water is delivered every 2 days and when you ask for more than 2 bottles, it is as though you are asking for their first born.
Our last day at breakfast, we were hard pressed to get service for coffee or water. We ate and never once did anybody stop by to ask if they could give us anything to drink.

On the day of the wedding, I went into the spa to get a manicure. The lady was very nice and did try.....but she took an hour and a half to do my manicure, could barely see in the light and had my hands full of nail polish. I am not exaggerating, my hands were red and she was unable to see all the spots she missed cleaning up. For a $35 dollar manicure, I would expect clean hands and evenly flowed nail polish. The conditions were not great for her to do the manicure. Rather than use a table with a light she could use to see, I was sitting in a chair near the floor, she on a stoop, and the manicure took place on her legs.

The gift shop doesn't take credit cards, only cash, and is not affiliated with the hotel so you cannot charge items to your room. I had to go into town to get sun screen.

We walked into the buffet place for breakfast and the host was on hold on the phone and completely ignored us. We looked around and noticed they were cleaning up so figured we were too late and left. The staff except for a select few, excelled in the art of ignoring and not making eye contact.

5th Avenue is not what I remember when we stayed at Playacar Riviera Maya. The market place I remember bartering in 2009 was closer to Market 28. This time around, Merchants were trying to quote me 30-40 dollars for a Lucha Libre mask. It was laughable when I used to get them for 10 dollars or less, same quality at Market 28 and some other market I visited in 2009. 5th is more upscale and my guess is that visitors have been walking in and paying asking price because they don't know better. It is very touristy and not appealing at all. If you want to really shop, go to Market 28.

Going Kayaking doesn't go without getting badgered about going snorkeling instead on some trip you are not interested in taking.

Our room was not cleaned one day.

I found a cockroach in my bathroom.

The bartender we met the first night Baudelio was wonderful. He took the time to chat with us and always with a smile on his face, he served everybody.

In the end, if this is your first visit and just want to find a place to rest and eat and don't have any expectations, this is your place. We met a couple in their early 20s who were taking a weekend away from school. This was the perfect place for them. The ocean view was nice and the pool was nice. I enjoyed the hammock.

I found most of the staff apathetic and gloomy. Because I see that everybody else is rating this as a wonderful experience, I will give this an average rating instead of poor.

Go here for a get away if you haven't been anywhere better.

Room Tip: Request that you have a functioning phone and containers for water. Or just save your water bottles...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear AdaR140,

The hotel Grand Coco Bay, thanks you for your comments.

Regards,
The mangement.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We chose Grand Coco Bay because it is a smaller resort and was quite affordable. We were not interested in those gigantic resorts where you need a lift just to get to the beach!

If you have reasonable expectations, Grand Coco Bay is a very nice place to stay. The pool was appealing and the rooms were clean. We had a nice view from our balcony. Also, the resort is located right on the beach.

Cons:

- the beach is not the nicest I've ever seen (rather small, not exactly pristine)
- the food was ok

Pros:

- the STAFF!! Especially the entertainment crew. Kudos to them for being enthusiastic and interactive with the guests. They were always inviting guests to the shows, running games at the pool, being helpful etc. They were a small hard-working group and very sincere.
- the resort is well maintained, grounds are clean etc.
- the resort did not feel crowded....we always had a nice spot by the pool

Overall, if you are looking for a pleasant, no frills experience, I recommend Grand Coco Bay. The Riviera Maya is definitely worth your time (take some excursions!).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Anna O,

Thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay, as a destination for your vacation.

We work every day with the commitment to provide a quality service to all of our guests. It is a joy to hear that we achieve our constant goal in your recent visit at our property.

Again thank you for letting us know that you had an excellent stay at our Resort.

Please do not forget that it will be a pleasure to welcome you back at Grand Coco Bay.

Best regards,
Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at Grand Coco Bay as part of a package deal with guests attending my boyfriend's son's wedding in Playa del Carmen. It was a very good stay, we had everything we needed, the pool is great, the beach area is small, but sufficient. We spent a couple entire days on the beach and the staff we accomodating and friendly. We went to one of the shows one night and the production was well done and a lot of fun. The breakfast buffet is really good, excellent omeletes and waffles. Short walk to 5th avenue. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Michelle D,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent family wedding at Grand Coco Bay.

We can assure you that all of our clients’ opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate your good comments about our activities and services.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Grand Coco Bay.

Kind regards
The management
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Let me start by saying my wife and I have been to many resorts in the area including Secrets Capri, Valentin Imperial, Barcelo 8 times, Palladium, Bahia Principe, etc. We picked the Grand Coco Bay since it was smaller, good price and CLOSE TO 5th AVENUE. We went in with a completely open mind. The resort itself is small, but beautiful. Easiest check in we have ever had, wonderful staff, and very relaxing.

FOOD - overall was great. Breakfast and dinner were very good, both specialty restaurants were awesome. Lunch was also very good, but the snack bar could have had little better food. They never seemed to have the wings, and one thing we missed from other resorts is no fresh guacamole all day long. We love that about Mexico! I know food is subjective, but we enjoyed it alot.

BEACH - yes the boats were little annoying and the beach itself is not very wide, but is still beautiful. There nice a great place to swim just to the left of the resort, and also some pretty good snorkeling right there as there are a few reefs. Biggest complaint for us was the beach chairs were old and worn. They have brand new loungers at the pool, just not at the beach.
They did not want us to take the new ones down to the beach.

Drinks were all very good they have good tequila, etc. We never waited long for anything at the resort, one the the things we loved about the small resort. Rooms were clean, and AC worked well. Water pressure is not the best anywhere in the resort. So shower not too strong and toilet didnt flush great (canbe big issue :)).

Overall great trip and would return for the right price. Biggest plus for us was 1 mile walk into5th avenue!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementGCB, Gerente at The Reef Coco Beach, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Estimated Larrycarla0528,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent family vacation at Grand Coco Bay.

We appreciate your good comments about our activities and services.

Kind regards
The Management
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We booked a last minute trip to Grand Coco Bay for Christmas last year. GCB is listed as a 4.5 star, but it isn't quite that. The rooms were nothing special. They were clean and our rooms were overlooking the pool with a huge deck that was shared between 4 rooms. It was the only deck we saw like that, and we had it mostly to ourselves anytime we were up there so it was great.

The beach was a little small, but still nice. If you are a beach person, make sure you get up early to claim your chair on the beach. GCB is in a great location. We took a walk down the beach about 15 mins to check out 5th Avenue. What a great spot. It's a pedestrian only street with lots of shopping, restaurants, and bars. We spent a whole afternoon exploring and we loved it!

One of the best things about this resort is it's size. It isn't one of those huge resorts that you need to take a bus to get from one end to the other. If you are looking for a nice relaxing vacation and don't need all the extras and frills that those huge monster resorts offer, this is a great spot. Beach, pool, drinks and food, what more could you need?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Beppster,

Thank you for choosing Grand Coco Bay, as a destination for your vacation.

Best regards,
The Management.

Been to The Reef Coco Beach? Share your experiences!