We were at GCB last January. Our 12th trip to the area, 3rd to Playa Del Carmen.
This resort is great for its category - it is a 3.5 star, and doesn't claim to be a 5 star, so certain expectations that some reviewers do not find are unreasonable, especially for the price.
The Pros are far outnumber the Cons at Grand Coco Bay, even compared to many 5*.
Lobby is not grand, it is small but very comfortable and very clean, with nice bar area, plenty of seating and internet. 15 minute walk, or 3 minute, $4 cab ride to Fifth Avenue.
Buildings are dated and simple, but in a good, clean shape.
Rooms are smaller but very clean, have balconies, got everything we need, easy quick access to pool, beach and restaurants. We don't find having a huge room on a vacation a huge asset - convenience of access to amenities is far more important for us. We are there to sleep, wash and change, that's all.
For a 3.5 star buffet, food quality is excellent. Beats most 5* megaresorts. The views from the buffet restaurant beats most resorts - you are literally by the sand. Snack bar at the pool is a hit with our kids, sandwiches are outstanding - they have a variety, just ask. The 2 restaurants are very good, the service and quality. So they don't have 12 restaurants, but it is a small resort and service is more personal.
Beach area is narrow, but very clean and swimming is outstanding due to calm water and moderate depth. There are boats by the beach, they are at least few hundred feet away and no bother to us. This beach has the clearest water in Playa.
Pool is clean and nice. We didn’t spend anytime there – we prefer beach – but others were enjoying it and swim-up bar was popular.
One major con – the loungers need to be replaced or repaired. For the most part, they are filthy and falling apart. If management is reading this, please take note – many folks complain about it.
Overall, it is a great smaller resort with a lot to offer. If you are looking for a huge 5* where all you do is walk from place to place, this may be a disappointment. We will definitely be back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 30 miles south of Cancun, The Reef Cococbeach is the perfect compliment to the white sandy beaches and turquoise waters of this world renowned tropical paradise. Nestled on a lengthy stretch of beach, just a short walk from the picturesque town of Playa del Carmen, you will enjoy our personalized service, the privacy you desire in a resort destination and the entertainment of one of the best night life's the Mayan Riviera has to offer.Our location provides easy access to the many attractions the Mayan Riviera has to offer such as Playa del Carmen's famous 5th avenue, Playacar's Bird Sanctuary, Playacar Golf Club, Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Tulum and much, much more.The hotel offers 196 comfortable rooms Caribbean style, our pleasant rooms consist of one king size bed or two double beds, terrace or balcony, air conditioning, ceiling van, mini fridge, TV,hair dryer, vanity mirror, telephone and bath room with bahttub and shower combination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your The Reef Coco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Coco Bay Mexico
- Grand Coco Bay Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Coco Bay Riviera Maya
- The Reef Coco Beach Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico