“We loved the serenity” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort

You added Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort to your Saves list
Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo #9 | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #89 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Surrey, BC Canada
“We loved the serenity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

I bought my membership last year, so this was the first time I got to stay in my studio. The first impression was breathtaking! It is a small resort compared to many and given the circumstances during the time we travelled (tail end of Swine flu scare) we had the luxury of some solitude. I believe we were the only Canadians there that week and at one point I counted only 20 people one afternoon.

The staff was extremely friendly and my son was taught a few words in Mayan.

If I had to point out a 'dislike' I would mention the food. It was tasty, however... it was about 95% the same every single day. While understood for the size of the place, I would have appreciated more of a variety. Next time we might not select the 'meal-plan'.

The Studio room was a good size for the 3 of us with a king size bed and comfortable pull out sofa bed. I would have liked a pillow top mattress on the bed for better comfort, but others may find firm beds comfortable. The TV was older and the remote was held together with tape, but if they renovate soon, I'm sure that will be looked after.

It was hard to leave, but surely a place to look forward to visit again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
playa de carmen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

this is a small hotel
they have had a bad rap in the past
the food was good, the beach is private, staff friendly
lots to do
they said next year is remodel time

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Santa Cruz California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We just returned from Fishermen with our friends who have a week timeshare there.
The place is badly in need of repairs, upgrades, maintenance,and furnishings.
The kitchen supplies were dismal. The furniture falling apart literally.
Some of the staff were very nice however Lenny who seems to run the place is quite the hard nosed, don't give an inch type of person. We had to change units 3 times as the first 2 were smelly and in bad shape. Lenny was rude to me when I asked her why she didn't give us the massage gifts for going to the time share presentation. She said we just didn't ask hard enough and it was too late to do anything. She had the power to do what she wanted and just refused to budge an inch.
The time share presentation at Tres Rios was awful. They were only interested in was getting our friends to trade in their 3 weeks for Tres Rios. Tres Rios could be beautiful but they are deeply in debt and it seems implausible that they could possibly finish it given the current economic conditions. Something "Fishy" is going on there. That is the last time I will ever go to one of these presentations. They are down right awful.

I did have a massage which was ok and my friend had one by the same person after me and came out with bruises and said it was the worst massage she had ever had.
Don't bother staying here unless things change

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

We stayed at this condo resort (alternatively called Sunset Fisherman and Fisherman's Village) during our kids spring break. We rented the only 4 bedroom unit in the resort from a rental company called Ocean Summit Travel. We were two families; my family of 2 adults and 3 kids (9, 13, 15) and my in-law's family of 2 adults and 2 kids (13, 15). Overall, this resort worked great for us, thanks in great part to the facilities and staff at Fisherman's as well as the other owners/guests at the resort.

As some background, we had traveled with the same group during spring break for the previous two years, once in Mazatlan and once in Puerto Vallarta. Everyone agreed that, while we really enjoyed those vacations, this was the best.

Our unit (#334) was on the third floor (no elevator) and was on two levels, with two master suites (with king size beds) upstairs on the sea side of the unit so you could open your window at night and hear the roar of the waves. The main level had two other bedrooms but not on the sea side of the unit. The kitchen was great; big fridge, dishwasher, microwave, stove/oven and a 5 gallon water dispenser, which the maid service replace each time they cleaned our room. It had a flat screen tv in the living room (also tvs in one master an one guest suite). One of the owners told us that this unit recently sold for $600k. It was very nice.

Much of what made this vacation great was due to the resort. The resort is small by comparison to previous resorts we've stayed at and, in many ways, is probably why we enjoyed it so much. The resort offers a small restaurant (which we only ate lunch at a couple of times), a bar, a smaller pool, large hot tub, smaller beach, concierge desk and an activities desk that offers daily activities (water volleyball, bike tours, salsa dancing, etc) free boogie boards and bikes. The small size of the resort allowed us to participate in much of the activities. The However the staff really made the difference. We all got a kick out of the one man entertainment dynamo by the name of Sergio. Sergio is a young guy who leads seemingly all the activities such as water volleyball, aerobics, yoga, salsa dancing, and bartending class. He was so nice to all the kids, even playing cards with them for hours. He even served as a lifeguard when some got caught in a riptide during a windy day and was too exhausted to swim back in. The rest of the staff was very friendly and helpful.

The resort is about a 15 minute walk to 5th Ave in Playacar. We found that our routine was to go for a morning walk through the Mayan ruins and to the main road where the all-inclusive hotels are on, go the pool/beach during the day, get a taxi ride to a restaurant somewhere ($5-7 per taxi). After dinner, we'd explore 5th Ave and then walk home, working off our large meals in the process.

We made use of the Spa services on site; having a massage outside while the waves crashed on shore was very relaxing. The bikes were ok; some were in bad shape and not comfortable to ride - they could use to upgrade these bikes.

On past vacations it was rare if we got to know any of the other guests at the hotel we were staying; at Fisherman's there were so many friendly owners/guests. Many of them were older/retired who had bought at Fisherman's when it was built 15 or so years ago. They all knew Playa well and loved to share their favorite restaurant or place to visit in Playa.

If I had to list some cons to the resort I'd have to mention the beach, which was not very good while we were there, apparently because of the direction the wind had been blowing for the last couple of weeks. The sand bags in the water detract slightly to the beautiful Caribbean Sea. The pool is not large by any means but my kids didn't complain once about it.

Overall, this place was perfect for us and I anticipate that we will return again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Camden, Maine USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

We have owned a (fractional) time-share at Fisherman's for about 3 or 4 years and go every March and Oct. and just returned. Still LOVE the place even though some quality is sliding that we attribute to the energy directed towards Tres Rios. No more slippers or morning coffee in the rooms or safety rope around the beach. Beach is bigger than ever, but area within sand-bagged area has filled in, so swimming is exposed without any ropes to mark off the zone from boats going by. In March the winds blow most of the time, so 2'-3' waves were great fun to play in, but not ideal for swimming. Ocean was cooler than in Oct. so we passed on a day at Xel-Ha as it felt too cool to spend a whole day in the water. Wear a thin layer of cotton long sleeves at night. The F. Beach Club had no support staff or guards that we observed. Discovered fabulous beach at 28th St. on north side of Playa--one of best in the world probably.
People are still as warm and friendly as ever, but some now work at Tres full or part-time. Some new faces, fewer overall since sales staff now at Tres. We eat on side streets in town and have found only and all delightful places and food. Shop at the local Chedrouie grocery and take a cab back to F. Nearby Aviary in Playacar is $15 US, but worth it for a relaxing hour or two, especially in early morning or late day. Iguanas like the path and they will surprise you, but will try to avoid you, just let them know you are coming! Caged bird area is a bit upsetting as you and they watch their buddies flying freely overhead...The F hot tub was being totally emptied/cleaned as we were leaving, but it was nice and hot while we were there. The Spa is still wonderful, especially on the outdoor veranda with the waves crashing a few feet away, but a $10 cab ride to Tres for a massage by Vadim is still tops on our list of things to do. Our favorite Playa restaurants are Kalaka on 4th betw 10th & 15th and Yaxche in the garden for excellent Mayan cuisine at a reasonable price ($50 for 2 with app., dess, 1 drink, tip). Finally, tourism is down due to the economy, yet up as the exchange rate is $100 Mex = $15 US. Have fun! Enjoy Fisherman's!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

DO NOT GET FOOLED ! We listened to biggest line of bull by the craftiest, most sincere sounding sales people to get us to purchase.
Oh what a fool I feel like now.
We were on our honeymoon in Playa and went to the resort and believed the line of crap that was told to us.
Yes you can have any week you want, except holidays, well, the first time we try to reserve we were rejected.
We were promised any week in April or May since we told the sales person we could only vacation in those months. NOT !

DON'T GO ! DON'T BUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The lies and false promisses
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ivyland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

I need to respond to the negative reviews about Sunset Fishermen Spa and Resort by some of the new and old owners that have recently been posted. Most of the negative reviews are about the salesmen not about the resort itself or they have been written by people who do not understand the timeshare industry. We enjoyed our stay at Sunset Fishermens this past November. We were there during the week of the US elections and had all ready voted by absentee ballot. We had a one bedroom where our bedroom porch let out right onto the beach maybe 25 feet from the waves. We could hear the waves breaking as we went to sleep. It was quite soothing. Some of the bad things about the resort is that not all the rooms face the ocean. I would guess most of these are for efficiencies that have been split from a two bedroom making a one bedroom with the ocean view and the efficiency having a garden or parking lot view. We didn't get the unit we purchased but it did have the same number of people for it's max occupancy but the rooms were smaller than what we supposed purchased. But my wife liked the view so much that she didn't really care. The kitchen was fully equipped except it didn't have a regular oven, only burners, microwave and a toaster although they did have a large refrigerator. Also, we discovered that the resort workers let our son have drinks and didn't enforce their rules for him but are much stricter with adults.

Jose and Luis were quite nice to our son. Luis, I believe was the one who was mostly in charge of the entertainment and he went at it with gusto. The beach is relatively small but right at the resort they had large sand bags to try to build up the beach after the various hurricanes that have hit the Yucatan peninsula over these last few years.

They have free wireless internet in the lobby and it seemed quite fast although one night it didn't seem too fast for a short period of time. They have moved the sales team to Hacienda Tres Rios but the Concierges are now the ones who work to get you to sign up for the sales tour. If you aren't interested in buying just say no. I would guess, given the tanking economy, the sales team will be working extra hard to get a sale so be prepared and also use this, if you're interested in getting a good deal. Make sure you know what a good deal is for you and pay attention as they will try to not lower the cost anymore than they can. Also, if you do purchase here, recall that you need to reserve your unit well ahead of time, like 11 or 12 months ahead especially during the most popular times such as winter or anytime out of the hurricane season. As a good example of this, we reserved our early November week in January, if I recall.

The resort is in a gated private community called Playacar phase 1 I believe. It's quite quiet and private. They have a beach club about an 8 minute walk either on the road or down the beach. Not much is at the beach club right now. I believe they were originally going to put a new restaurant at the beach club but apparently postponed it while they build the new resort, Hacienda Tres Rios. The old sales space in the resort, we were told, will be a new restaurant and they were going to build a terrace onto of the entrance where you can eat at that new restaurant. This should be a very good development as the food choices are a bit week at this resort. Basically a buffet and a reservation only Italian restaurant.

Everyone was quite helpful although the concierges were a bit pushy about trying to get us to agree to sign up for the tour at Hacienda Tres Rios. We did sign up as were were actually interested in Hacienda Tres Rios. You can read my review of that experience under the reviews for Hacienda Tres Rios.

We really enjoyed our stay as it is a fairly small resort and you get to know most of the people who are staying there if you try. They did have a few sales tables at least once or twice. And on Sunday evening they hosted a dinner occasion where they had various food and a presentation of the resort and some entertainment by a Mariachi band and dancing.

Neither my wife or I drink alcohol so I cannot speak to that aspect. We only ate at the restaurants at the resort maybe twice for dinner and twice for breakfast. The Italian restaurant was nice but the buffet restaurant was a bit disappointing. But it was adequate for dinner but not overly exciting. The breakfast buffets were good but unvarying.

Needless to say, we really enjoyed the stay and I plan to come back again in the not too distant future. We really enjoyed the resort and especially the staff who were quite pleasant, even the concierges although they were pushy about the sale tour. I would recommend this resort but before you think about going on the sales tour, make sure you look up information about the timeshare industry. Recall Mexico is not the US or Canada or a European government so the sales tactics are a bit hard sale and they can over hype somethings, such as the ability to rent the units for a large price. This use to also happen in the US but because of the abuses, laws were past making this illegal. No such law exists in Mexico although you do have the right to cancel within five days and this is not revocable. I believe the agency is Profeco. I would definitely use a delivery service that can prove your cancellation was received on time and I would not trust e-mail.

Regardless if you go to this resort, enjoy the beach, the sunrise the staff and fellow guests, your room and you can see Cozumel off in the distance to the east.

• Liked — Great view out of our room
  • Disliked — 10-15 minute walk to 5 Avenue, but we had a rental car which helped alot
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort? Share your experiences!