“Wonderful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Manistee, Michigan
“Wonderful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just can't say too much about the staff at Fishermen's Spa and Resort. We just finished up our first stay and already miss the warm, smiling faces on all of the staff. We especially want to give a shout-out to Luis at the Spa, who went out of his way to share "his office" with us while we were there and to make sure our every need was met. What a wonderful fellow to have working in such a wonderful place like Fishermen's.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our 5th time at the Sunset Fisherman. When we bought our unit in 2005 we thought we would use RCI a lot to trade our week and travel around the Caribbean, That hasn't happened. We have just found that this resort is so personable, beautiful, and well placed that we just keep coming back! The staff are always so friendly and go out of their way for us. I'd see Sergio there every morning ready to make my omelette with a big smile, and David ready to do our exercises for the day. It's small enough to know most of the folks, and you can get around it without a golf cart! Add to that the fact that you can walk into town to shop or dine, and it's the perfect place, not to mention the awesome beach!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Great holiday, location is nice and close to everything that you could want, the beachfront is beautiful and the hotel staff are so friendly, the games coordinators did a great job with activities, I personally had a great time playing water volleyball with them and they also taught me how to play poker, I would definitely come back again was a very very good holiday!

• Stayed February 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The beach is fabulous! Lots of it, white sand, well maintained daily, beautiful ocean! Really can't say enough about the beach! They do however, really need more umbrellas on the beach. There are kayak's to play with and swimming and wave jumping are a daily event for many! The grounds are impeccable, the pool area is great ... adult pool, whirlpool, kids pool and even a very shallow area for little ones! Water aerobics daily! There is a pool bar and a lobby bar. The Spa offers a variety of massages, facials, mani/pedi's from a staff that are very good at what they do ... always happy after a visit there.

The staff are wonderful! The staff enrich your experience, so friendly and acommodating ... they make the place! Really! They couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. I go every year and each year I look forward to getting there. The town of Playa is a short walk (10-15 mins) or taxi ride ($7) They have a Walmart. MANY restaurants and shops all the way down 5th Ave.

I end each evening sitting on my patio viewing the ocean and watching the twinkling lights of Cozemel!

Regina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the Sunset Fisherman for the first time this January/February. It was spectacular! The staff is so friendly! They smile all the time, and welcome you with so much warmth. Carlos took the time to take pictures and send them to us, which I thought was excellent. He planned lots of fun games for every age group. David has a smile on his face 100% if the time and is an expert at yoga and aerobics. He did a great job hosting the fiesta. Karen is the most professional concierge I have ever come across. Gracious as well as beautiful. Marciel is a gem, and his greeting and wonderful good nature made him a pleasure to talk to every day. Need a great massage? Vicky is wonderful. I also enjoyed a spa experience with Brenda who did a great pedicure. Anselmo, was the friendliest towel person I have ever come across. There was an amazing chef called Rijo Hgustin (I think) who did superb fruit and vegetable carving. The staff makes this place! It is just a few steps from the ocean, and my only complaint was the lack of umbrellas on the beach. Would we go again? In a minute!

Room Tip: If you want to avoid stairs, and want easy access to the beach book a room on the bottom floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The beach is terrific, the staff are amazing and the beach you meet are so friendly. Thanks to 'Mayor Dan' for his humour. Carlos and David were fantastic and the volleyball action was spirited. We hadn't been in four years and the improvement to the menu at the Fisherman grill was great. i definitely received my monies worth on the all inclusive day! :) Gracias!

Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you are not in physically in good condition (able to climb stairs) this place is not for you. We arrived early (10:30) and were promised a room that I wouldn't have to do three flights of stairs or at least an elevator. Our room was not ready until 4 p.m. That part was fine. The pool area is beautiful and made the afternoon go fast. We ended up on the third floor, no elevator, so it was 36 steps up and 36 steps down at least twice a day. I ended up with muscle problems in my legs that caused them to turn all black and blue from the knee up. Chalk it up as an experience. I enjoyed doing things with David and Carlos. They were both so helpful. Carlos was in charge of a Texas Holdem game, that I played with four others that were really good at it. Carlos was helpful and made the game fun! Would have had another session but not enough players. He lead the bean toss, gofl putting game. He also assisted in the fruit/veg carving class. Then there was the tequila class. He was kind and considerate when people came late into the class. On Wednesday he took over the water exercise class when David had a day off. Carlos and David work very well together the short time I saw them. I know every one talks about Luis, who I got to meet, everyone of us has our own personalities, given time Carlos will be the same. Does he need a little polishing? That's up to you, I enjoyed it all, other than the stair climbing. I was a guest with my daughter and son-in-law that have been coming there for years. They were both a bit disappointed about room requests too. If you plan to go to Fisherman's with your parents or in-laws that are some what handicapped, it would be nice if they could promise you something before you go. A beautiful place! The staff was very friendly and did their job?

Room Tip: If you are not in physically in good condition (able to climb stairs) this place is not for you. W...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind and detailed review, we are glad to hear you enjoyed your time with our entertainment staff and will be sure to pass your comments along to them.
We regret to hear there was a problem with your room request on the first floor however we will continue to strive in order to fulfill all special requests.
We reiterate our gratitude for the time it took to write your review and hope you will come back soon.

Been to Sunset Fishermen Spa & Resort? Share your experiences!