“Perfect First Night at Imprevist! (and brunch a few days later!!!!)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Imprevist

Imprevist
1 Avenida Norte Entre Calle 14 Norte y 16 Norte Bis, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
9841687025-26
Website
Update restaurant details
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Imprevist is a Catalan word which means the “Unexpected“. Dining here is experiencing these wonderful dishes that leaves you surprisingly unexpected everytime. The restaurant is situated in a quaint magical street in the Heart of a Playa del Carmen that will make the night, a night to wish would never end. After several years of experience and learning from European chefs; Chef Juan Diego Solombrino is well known for his incredible combination of Mediterranean and Asian inspired cuisine. Preparing dishes of unique flavor, creating art with in each presentation. He personally hand select the products focusing on the menu to provide a wide variety so that everyone can enjoy their meal, from vegetarian options to oriental, excellent seabass or steak ending with the delight of a chocolate fondant berry sorbet. “Cooking is an art, and for me it is the only art that stimulates all senses. The moment when you take your first bite, all your senses comes together to experience a delightful aroma, flavor and textures of food” - Chef Juan Diego Solombrino.
Darlington, Maryland
“Perfect First Night at Imprevist! (and brunch a few days later!!!!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Dinner at Imprevist on our first night in Playa del Carmen has become a tradition for us. After a long day of travel from the states, Jane and I like to relax with delicious food and wonderful service. We made a reservation through the concierge desk at El Taj (the concierge office is right next door to Imprevist), and arrived promptly on time at 7PM. That's a bit early for local customs, so we had the place to ourselves. Juan Luis (the business manager) came out to greet us, and introduced us to Juan Diego (the chef). We decided to explore the menu a bit, and happily went outside our usual comfort zone.

Juan brought the first comfort-zone breaker: Kobe Beef Carpaccio. Neither my wife nor I had ever had beef carpaccio, so this was a unique experience. And it was DELICIOUS! I'm not sure I'd try it anywhere else, but I will certainly have it when I return to Imprevist.

Jane paid Imprevist the ultimate compliment when she said "I can wait to see what they bring next!"

Our second comfort-zone breaker was Tuna Tartar with ginger, soy sauce and citrus foam with a strip of plantain. Now I don't eat Sushi or any other raw fish. But this was AMAZING! Not only have I never tasted anything like it, but now I'm kicking myself for what I've been missing.

Then we moved on to the entre. Jane had Mongolian Beef with Asparagus, Oyster Sauce and Jasmine Rice, which she let me taste. I can truly say that it was unlike anything I've tasted. And it was so good that I used the provided chop sticks (which I'm lousy with), just to honor the dish. I had Tandori Jumbo Shrimp with Rice Noodles and Cashew Nuts. It should be noted that I did NOT offer any of that to my wife . . .

For desert I had a Vanilla Cheesecake that was soft and frothy and delicious. It had toasted Jamaica (Hibiscus) flowers and some sort of berry sauce. I could probably be more specific except that I inhaled it and almost licked my plate!

We returned a couple days later to try out their new Brunch Menu. Jane had Fish and Chips, which in other hands would be mundane. But in Juan Diego's hands it was super fresh Grouper with a light fried crust, with (it must be said) french frieds to die for! I had Crepes with Poblano Chiles, Sweet Corn, Fresh Cheese and Chipotle Sauce. More dish-licking ensued.

Imprevist is certainly the best restaurant in Playa del Carmen, and one of the best restaurants we've ever eaten at anywhere in the world. Congrats to Juan Luis and Juan Diego!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
jlpish, Public Relations Manager at Imprevist, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Guests,

Welcome again and Thank you very much for being a loyal customer here at Imprevist. We value all our customers!!!

We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience every time you dine with us. Our Tuna Tartar is one of our signature dish in the restaurant and we are glad that you enjoyed it in addition to the Kobe Beef Carpaccio, Mongolian Beef,Tandoori Jumbo Shrimp and the dessert, Vanilla Cheesecake. Thank you for all the details on your reviews because this will help all our customers and future customers that would want to dine with us.

You mentioned about our Breakfast and Brunch Social menu and we are glad that you were delighted as well. We are the only restaurant in Playa del Carmen that opens Break/Brunch 7 days a week. We also have Happy Hour on Wednesday Nights, 2 for 1 International Cocktails.

We hope you share your experience to your friends and family back home. We hope to see you again on your next visit. Thank you!

Roz

92% Recommend
Bloomington, Indiana
“Good food, service not so friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The food was excellent. The staff was not so friendly. Would recommend for a nice dinner, not family friendly. It was a very small venue.

Visited July 2013
jlpish, Public Relations Manager at Imprevist, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for dining at Imprevist during you holiday in Playa del Carmen. We are glad to hear that you highly enjoyed our dishes. We are so sorry to hear about your experience with the staff as we pride our restaurant to give a warm and friendly service. We do understand your concerns and hopefully it would be great if you can let us know what we could have done better and what is it that was done wrong. We listen to our customers reviews so we can better our service.

If you do have a chance if you could write us back at imprevist@gmail.com and let us know your concerns and perhaps we can make some changes to serve you better next time.

We hope to see you again soon and hopefully next time will be different and better. Thank you again!

Roz
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“Splendid!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just one block away from the 5th Av. you can have one of the most memorable meals in Playa. A small and hidden gem where we enjoyed thai food (noodles w/ shrimps) a tuna tartar and the bacon with apples... I LOVED the place, the service and the food. GO or you will regret! (Just behind Ultrafemme store).

• 5 of 5 stars Food
jlpish, Public Relations Manager at Imprevist, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing to dine with us out of 500 restaurants in Playa del Carmen. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our tuna tartar, Tandoori shrimp noodles and other dishes. We do pride ourselves for being different compared to the restaurants on 5th ave. It is a quiet place perfect for friends and families who wants to have a different experience, both food and ambiance. Hopefully next time, you come and visit us for our International Cocktails Happy Hour every wednesday nights and Breakfast/Brunch Social everyday.

We hope you share your experience with your friends and family and hope to see you again soon!

Roselyn Macagba
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
“WOW.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We've been living in Playa since March and have tried many restaurants, but Imprevist BY FAR is our favorite!!! The restaurant is in a lovely location off 1 st. with great ambiance. We chose to sit on the charming patio but the seating inside also looked very inviting. Jaime, our waiter, was outstanding and gave us great recommendations and we we're not disappointed. Now to the food - the Pancetta was excellent - one of my favorite dishes ever - you must try. For entrees, we ordered the Sea Bass and the Mariscos Risotto and they were both delicious as well. Overall, it was an absolutely wonderful dinner and we can't wait to go back and bring our friends to try! If you are visiting Playa - put this at the top of your dining list!

Valley Stream, New York
“Delicious Food and Welcoming Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We recently stayed at Maya Village and breakfast at Imprevist was included. The food was one of the best we had during our stay and our waiters, Jaime and Emer were awesome! Welcoming us everyday and attending to every detail, it was a wonderful experience and made our vacation in Playa a memorable experience. We even had dinner there and were astounded by the Chef's creations. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone going to Playa del Carmen.