“Its ok...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Lupita

You added Hotel Riu Lupita to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Lupita
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avda. Xaman-Ha, Manzana 20, Lote 1, Condominio Playacar | Lote Hotelero No. 1, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #109 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Panama City, Panama
“Its ok...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I mean, the architecture itself is not that great, feels like a hotel that was planned to be huge a couple of years ago, but it stood the same with the years, no improvements in that sense.

Food is ok, the hotels disco is not good at all, but the pool is pretty neat, and they offer good drinks with the open bar, the shows at night are a plus, but nothing special

As i said, its ok...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Parksville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed over Xmas and New Years at tis resort ! I like RIU as you can be assured of not many details left to chance however over the lat 4 years the food has remained fairly much without great Taste improvement although the Xmas and New Years Eve we great hosing they can o it. The beds are at a 3 star level and although lean this place from the papa roofs to the beds need upgrades. They have really improved the beach club and o provide great beach access Ian a bus okay 11 min ride and do dop you off and pick you up in Pay as this property is in the middle of the Playacar Golf Course. Entertainment group here really works hard to make it all pleasant

I went back as h value the I'med foyer was good but I you'll recommend looking at one of he RIU playa at alternatives or a competitor as Playacar is a great safe lean area within walking distance of town or a 5 dollar taxi ride

Room Tip: Look elsewhere here you will only get an acceptable room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hersham, Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

What can I say this has to be the best holiday I have experienced so far. A big Thank You to all the Management and staff at the Riu Lupita for making my Christmas 2012 the best ever. The Garla Evening which was held on the 24th was spectacular. All the planning and hard work it must of taken to make this one of the most memorable Christmas ever even though they don't celebrate their Xmas on the 25th. Champaigne was flowing all night long, the chefs came out offering canopies, we were escorted to our tables, and the food the hotel layed on was unbelievable, hats off the the chefs. There was so much variety with regards to food, I felt like a child in a candy store. This also applies for all the meals which were served on the normal days. I find it hard for anyone to complain about the food.
We were not based on the beach the hotel had a rickerty old bus to take us to our own private beach, which had its own swimming pool. The journey took 20mins. You could set your watch by the bus as it was always on time.
The Entertainment Team worked hard keeping everyone busy with activities, if you wanted to participate.
The Bar Staff worked hard too you never had to wait long to get your drink/s.
Only complaint I had was the toilet system in our room, which wasn't good.It constantly flushed then it stopped completely. It took nearly two weeks for this to be fixed. Also the fridge in the room was noisy. The only thing missing in the rooms was a kettle so if you like a cuppa first thing do take one.
Would I go back , yes no hesitation.

Room Tip: Our room faced the quite pool which we found very dark due to the trees outside blocking out the lig...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have just returned from two weeks at the Riu Lupita, having spent Christmas at the hotel.

What can I say? Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

To those people who moan about the food, I say you need to widen your taste. For breakfast, lunch and dinner there was a HUGE choice of food. Over the two weeks I was there, I was spoilt for choice. How anyone can complain about the food is beyond me. A special thanks has to go to the hotel for their Christmas Eve buffet. It was absolutely outstanding. I was like a child in a sweet shop as there were so many lovely things to eat, I didnt know where to start first! We had champagne, several ice sculptures around the pool area, the animation team were dressed in black tie and beautifully dressed tables. It was perfect.

All the staff go out of their way to be friendly, often remembering what drink you like and start getting them ready when they see you approaching the bar! The animation team work extremely hard throughout the day, but they're never pushy.

The bus to the beach has to be seen to be believed. Its the most rickety bus I've ever been on but you can set your watch by it when you pick it up from the hotel or the Beach Club. Beach Club is fabulous, again with entertainment throughout the day (if you want it), plenty of sunbeds and a swimming pool.

One thing to note - after reading reviews on TA, I was under the impression we could use other Riu hotels and their facilities, however, on our arrival at the Lupita, it now appears they have stopped doing that (2 weeks before we arrived!!). Not a major problem, as we quite liked the small and friendly atmosphere of the Lupita - the other hotels seemed to be on the large side.

We also used the facilities at the Spa - the aromatherapy and swedish massages were to die for and we floated out of there back to our room!!

All in all we had a fantastic time in Mexico - the hotel, the food and the staff went a long way towards this and for this I thank them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

First off the staff deserve a hats off! They work so hard and ALWAYS have a smile on their face! Even the director was amazing. The food was good, drinks were great, place was clean, private beach club was really nice too. My advice is to plan your own trips off the resort its cheaper and way more fun! I would totally recommend this place, and never usually write reviews but I had such a nice experience that I promised myself I would write something because I appreciate this site and want to pay it forward. I have nothing bad to say about my experience here! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Not a big resort so any area wasn't that bad
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

General - Travelled end of November 2012 for two weeks. Be wary in November that you will probably have the odd cloudy or rainy day, but still plenty of hot sunshine. Definitely take Mexican Pesos, US dollars are accepted everywhere, but using them will cost you much more.
Lupita guests have access to Riu Playacar, Riu Tequila, and Riu Yucatan for everything except evening meal. you get there using free shuttle or half hour stroll.

Room - Not 5* luxury, but very clean and more than adequate for a couple of weeks holiday. Mini bar filled every other day with soft drinks and beers, also spirits in optics topped up when needed. Beds a little hard, but soft toppers available on request. Plenty of hot water at all times and many bath towels.

Restaurants - Basic food, quite disappointed with what was on offer in the evenings and afternoons. Breakfast was definitely the best meal of the day. You will definitely find yourself having lunch in Play del Carmen or at one of the other Riu hotels on more than one occasion. We had lunch regularly at Riu Playacar, the Mr Whippy ice-cream is to die for...

Pool - 2 pools, one for kids and games, the other for relaxing... both are quite cold, but that means they are seldom used and never crowded. When by the pool, watch out for the wildlife.... don't leave anything for the cootis, they are cute, but they will steal anything they can get there paws on.

Beach - Access to beach by 20 minute shuttle bus ride every half hour, sand is beautiful, as is the sea. shame about the number of people packed along the beach like sardines.

Nightlife - Lupita has nightly shows in the outdoor theatre by the 1 bar. these range from animation team doing silly games with guests, to live music and professional dance shows, obviously some better than others as all down to personal taste. biggest problem we had was that Lupita is a much bigger hotel than you are led to believe and in the evenings, when everybody returns from the town, the other hotels and the beach, they all converge upon the 1 bar and it becomes waaaaay to crowded. it is far from the relaxing intimate feel that is suggested by certain people. Drinks are plentiful and tasty, beer and wine are ok, and there is a good range of cocktails using both local and international brands.

Reception - only used reception once to request a bed topper, it was delivered promptly and without any fuss, we also received regular calls from reception asking if all was ok and if they could be of assistance. We did spend time each day in the foyer using the 90 minutes FREE wi-fi.

Would definitely recommend the Lupita for a budget All Inclusive hotel while enjoying the Playacar area. There are a range of nationalities, English, Canadian, French, Italian, and Mexican etc... but nobody would feel out of place whatever their race.

Room Tip: Noise could be heard from upper rooms, so if mobile enough, ask for a top floor rooms. even better i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed at the Luptia this October for 2 weeks an I must say its the best holiday I've being on, the staff there were very well mannered, friendly an couldn't do enough to please you, our hotel room was very clean an tidy an always stocked up for the full 2 weeks we was there, they had entertainment every day an evening an the entertainment staff was superb could not have asked for nicer people, food wise was excellent also they had a selection all day an night to suit everyone so you never went Hungry nor thirsty :-)
My only negative is our holiday rep from Thompson, we booked trips through him an when we asked for our money back cause we found them elsewhere cheaper he would not give us money back, so in the end it took us 3 days to get it all sorted through calling the head office an getting a manager to help us... Aside him though I would recommend the holiday to everyone I know best experience all around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Lupita? Share your experiences!