We'd seen the Lunata on previous trips & found it to be charming, we wanted to experience some time in PDC at a non-AI so we booked two nights at the Hotel Lunata before checking into the Valentin Imperial Maya for the remainder of our trip.
The hotel itself is indeed charming. Wonderful attention to detail. The colors & tilework compliment the atmosphere and add to the ambience.
The room was clean and well kept. Again, the colors, decor, tile work all proving an authentic feel. We thankfully booked a garden view room. It proved very peaceful during the day. It was a third floor room great for the view, not so much for the long hot walk up to your room.
That's were I have to stop my praises. The bed... it was literally the most uncomfortable bed we have ever experienced. It was a mattress on a concrete slab. By the end of our stay I was referring to it as Hotel Bedrock instead of the Lunata. But I guess it didn't matter how comfortable the bed was because even having a garden side room, the noise from 5th Ave was intolerable. Music until 5:30am! Partiers yelling at all hours echoing throughout the stairwell up to our room. I can't imagine what it would have been like on the other side.. we probably would have checked out.
I wanted to experience the area without the cocoon of an AI and I did. But I found that AI or not, I have some dealbreakers that I will no longer compromise on ~ comfortable beds being top on that list!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Lunata a real oasis of elegance, hospitality and service - on a truly world class level, particularly given its small size. Hotel Lunata is a charming hacienda-style hotel located on Fifth Avenue's ,the heart and soul of Playa Del Carmen, just steps away from the Mexican Caribbean's pristine white sand beaches. Centrally located, Hotel Lunata is easy walking distance from everything Playa del Carmen has to offer, including beaches, international restaurants, upscale boutiques, unique artisan shops, Mayan ruins, and bars with live music that ranges from mariachis to reggae. The hotel is a special place reserved for guests that appreciate fine living. Architect Angel Islas has successfully blended traditional Mexican architecture with modern day comforts to create a hotel perfect for the discriminating traveler. The creative use of natural light, river stones, hand painted talavera tiles, and hardwood beams captures the traditional charm of Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, HostelWorld, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Lunata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lunata Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Lunata Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Lunata Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico