“Beautiful hotel not built for comfort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Lunata

Save Saved
You added Hotel Lunata to your Saves list
Hotel Lunata
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 5 between Calle 6 and 8, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
$99 (USD)
Ranked #32 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Delaware
“Beautiful hotel not built for comfort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We'd seen the Lunata on previous trips & found it to be charming, we wanted to experience some time in PDC at a non-AI so we booked two nights at the Hotel Lunata before checking into the Valentin Imperial Maya for the remainder of our trip.

The hotel itself is indeed charming. Wonderful attention to detail. The colors & tilework compliment the atmosphere and add to the ambience.

The room was clean and well kept. Again, the colors, decor, tile work all proving an authentic feel. We thankfully booked a garden view room. It proved very peaceful during the day. It was a third floor room great for the view, not so much for the long hot walk up to your room.

That's were I have to stop my praises. The bed... it was literally the most uncomfortable bed we have ever experienced. It was a mattress on a concrete slab. By the end of our stay I was referring to it as Hotel Bedrock instead of the Lunata. But I guess it didn't matter how comfortable the bed was because even having a garden side room, the noise from 5th Ave was intolerable. Music until 5:30am! Partiers yelling at all hours echoing throughout the stairwell up to our room. I can't imagine what it would have been like on the other side.. we probably would have checked out.

I wanted to experience the area without the cocoon of an AI and I did. But I found that AI or not, I have some dealbreakers that I will no longer compromise on ~ comfortable beds being top on that list!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We were scheduled to spend several nights at the Hotel Lunata, however due to a serious family medical emergency, we were unable to fly to Mexico. I notified the hotel that I wanted to change our dates of stay, and were informed that they would be charging my credit card for one night's stay. I gave the hotel 4 days notice, but was informed (quite rudely) that they needed 15 days notice. The manager (Amira) informed me that they would be happy to change our reservation for us when we do finally make it down to PDC which is laughable.

Alternatively, our second hotel in Cozumel, Casa Viento, was happy to accommodate us and kindly told me they would reschedule us with no argument whatsoever.

Hotel Lunata...we were looking forward to staying with you but now that I'm looking at a charge on my credit card statement (how very compassionate!) you can kiss any future business with us goodbye.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We stayed here for a single night for a special rate. I had seen the good reviews on Tripadvisor and wanted to check it out. This place lived up to the hype. We really loved the beautiful room overlooking 5th Avenue. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

This was my second visit to Playa del Carmen and my second stay at Hotel Lunata. I feel, as a solo traveler, very safe at this hotel and love the women who staff the reception area. They are kind and have a way of making guests feel special. The location is perfect, close to the beach and away from restaurants and bars. The hotel is surrounded by shops so the noise is less than other parts of calle 5. I've stayed in the same room, Biana which is on calle 5 and slept well. I even had the window open one night. And, there are earplugs available. Everything is at your fingertips, from the beach to restaurants. The garden is a wonderful respite from the crowd. All in all, the hotel makes for a wondfully relaxed vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Pirkkala, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Stayed there 3 nights in the end of January. Walked in and had a pretty good discount. Lovely, colorful hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Good location. Quiet and big room (garden side) with comfy beds. The best thing was the central A/C which worked just perfectly. Continental breakfast was nothing to mention about and over all the breakfast area could be more inviting. The garden wasn't very green and the plastic tables with chairs in the garden were worn out.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Chappaqua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed in Playa and have to say this place is great. I live in the NYC area and have been around the world. This place is just what you want in a local hotel in the center of it all.
See the web site it says it all.
NO BS..

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

t's been two years since we honeymooned in Playa del Carmen staying at Hotel Lunata for two weeks and we always long to go back. This little jewel of a hotel was the perfect place for us. The staff is very personable and eager to help. The rooms were clean and well appointed and since there is only ten rooms the staff really gets to know you. We were given great advice for where to eat and what to do.

Though Lunata is not on the beach it is only a short 2 minute walk around the corner. We used the advice of another Lunata reviewer which was to pay the $3 U.S. to use a lounge chair and palaypa at Hotel Fusion. Food and drinks at Fusion are very reasonable and the staff there was extremely attentive and nice. We strongly prefer going to Hotel Lunata and Fusion over the large all-inclusive resorts.

After reading others review about the noise level in the rooms from the street below we were a little nervous and had no problem sleeping. Things really quiet down around 10 p.m.. The continental breakfast held in the garden area of the hotel was good with plenty of offerings. On la Quinta Avenida (5th Avenue) and just off there are plenty of Mexican and Italian restaurants bars and shops nearby.

In the front office Karina and Amira went out of their way to help with advice navigating the town. There is plenty of shopping, beach and side trips from Playa del Carmen. Try taking a Colectivo (a transportation van that runs up and down Highway 307 every 15 minutes or so) down to the ruins of Tulum. Grab a cab from Tulum to Gran Cenote which is a great freshwater place to snorkel or dive.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Lunata? Share your experiences!