We went to the OGFX for 2 weeks on 7th May '05... We'd read some of the negative feedback and wondered what we'd let ourselves in for.
Let's just say the surprises were on us... we couldn't complain about any thing at this hotel. the staff were wonderful, not all english speaking but you're in Mexico, try speaking a little spanish... it gets you far.
Service from everyone was 1st class. Our maid was very artistic with the towels in our room, there was something different each day from dollies to dinosaurs to elephants. She actually had us excited about going back to check what she had made after each day out and about.
As for the hotel itself... 1ST CLASS. From the river running through it, to the manmade beach, which was never crowded even though the hotel was at full capacity. The buffet was so good we only made 4 a la carte bookings, no we didn't suffer from any upset tums either!
We didn't need to hitch a lift from the carts because after all the food you eat you need the exercise!!!
Beautiful grounds with all sorts of wildlife... and the park is literally joined to the hotel, takes about 5 minutes from the main building to walk there. We swam with the dolphins at Xcaret for about 1 hour, the guys teach you a lot about the dolphins and they really take care of them... no cruelty whatsoever. The dolphin swim is a must do... a lifetime experience for only $115 usd per person (£115 sterling per couple) cheap at that! Oh and we did buy 5 pics and the dvd, which added about another $100usd, but you can't put a price on the memories!
We took a trip in a taxi to Playa Del Carmen (about 10 minutes away) which cost us $8usd. Playa del Carmen is great too, fantastic beach, great stores etc. If you decide to do this, be warned... when you take a taxi back they stop in at a taxi checkpoint (beside a dirt track road)... don't panic and think you're being kidnapped/robbed !!!!! (we thought that!)
All in all we had the best holiday ever with no gripes or grumbles. We'll definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked within an ecological and historical preserve, the all-inclusive Occidental Grand Xcaret captivates guests with spectacular grounds, a pristine coastline and unparalleled service and amenities. Located less than an hour south of Cancun International Airport and ten minutes from renowned Playa del Carmen, this glorious resort boasts winding river channels, free-form pools and a private beach with powder-soft white sand on a quiet cove. The Occidental Grand Xcaret features eleven international restaurants and ten bars to fit every mood and occasion, from a romantic dinner to a lively family meal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret