We went there in the second half of August 2013. If you want description of the hotel, beach and pools read other reviews , I admit were good looking.
But when you go to any resort like this one and you just keep having things that you don't like it takes away from the experience.
First is food: Buffet food quality is mediocre at best. Food was tasteless. I'm not trying to insult the people from the UK that were all over that hotel at this period but they were happy with what I found to be blahh. I was saying that we must be eating different foods. I'm not a big drinker so I demand my food to taste good while I'm sober.
The specialty restaurants were not better. One of the restaurant after we ate dinner there went back to the buffet. We could not eat the food they served. Which made me feel a bit better since I did not book the restaurant until the next day of our arrival and was given only 2 reservations 5 days away. Restaurants barely serve 10 couple at a time.
Second are all the other things that just irritated me about this hotel.
I attempted to use our Verizon MiFI (I prearranged for roaming) but it did not work , No I'm not blaming them for that but we needed internet for my wife to keep in touch with her job we found out that internet is $86 for the week and that is US dollars not pesos. I had to get it and had no choice I asked at the front desk what would happen if that access pin they just sold me of $86 did not work and the answer I got "We are not responsible since its run by another company" .
Another discomforting answer I got at the the frond desk is when someone walked away with our towels they told us "its your problem" so we had to fix it ourselves and I did.
Another problem is that we arrived to the Hotel and it rained for 2 straight days and everything leaks, the theater where they attempt to entertain you because you can't do anything else and the tiles they have all over the place are slippery as hell when wet. I got 2 black marks on my back to prove that.
Last thing was to top it all on the last day my son was getting out of the pool he stepped on a rusted earrings that someone had lost. Guess what , yes , we had to pay $105 (again US dollars) for their doctor to look at my sons foot and prescribe him antibiotic. Again I had to pay for medication and the delivery. Note: If you ever have to get antibiotics for your little kids in another country make sure you ask for a liquid because this idiot doctor saw my little kid and prescribed me pills for him to swallow (which I gave up on after we wasted 5 pills trying to have him swallow it).
in conclusion: place looks very nice, experience was not.
oh one last thing, they will be posing with animals and offer to have your kids pose with them. If you attempt to take a pic yourself they will stop you, ok so they want to make a couple of bucks. Nope its $26 per picture that means for a picture of each of my kids next to an iguana would have cost me $52. Once I saw that I did not attempt to go to their park next door. I have a membership to the Bronx Zoo that I'll be making use of.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Occidental Grand Flamenco
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Grand Xcaret
- Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked within an ecological and historical preserve, the all-inclusive Occidental Grand Xcaret captivates guests with spectacular grounds, a pristine coastline and unparalleled service and amenities. Located less than an hour south of Cancun International Airport and ten minutes from renowned Playa del Carmen, this glorious resort boasts winding river channels, free-form pools and a private beach with powder-soft white sand on a quiet cove. The Occidental Grand Xcaret features eleven international restaurants and ten bars to fit every mood and occasion, from a romantic dinner to a lively family meal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Amex, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Agoda, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.