“Great family break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club

You added Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km. 282, #307 | Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #83 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great family break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The Xcaret is an excellent 5* all inclusive hotel. Staff are friendly & great with the kids. We went for 11 nights from 5th Nov 2013. The entertainment team were such great fun, the food was of excellent standard & the a la carte dining is exceptional. I was particularly impressed by the cleaners they worked so hard & kept everything looking so beautifully tidy. The cocktail selection was really varied & having Xcaret park next to the hotel is brilliant. We went for a day to the park which was enough for us as our children are 4 & 6 but if they had been a bit older it would have been good to get a two day pass. Be aware that the extra's at the park like swimming with dolphins is very expensive we just couldn't afford to do any of the extra's so make sure you check out the price before you go & perhaps save up a bit. The only negative was the concierge's constantly trying to sell you time shares so just avoid eye contact with them & don't allow them to get in to conversation with you & you will be ok, if they invite you to receive a free give don't go. The pools are all great, the gym is well equipped & the beach is very safe. My husband also went on 2 dive trips booked thru the dive school at the hotel & also a fishing trip & these were well organised & good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,797)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

So I have to say I use trip advisor for everything and some of these reviews freaked me out before our trip.
I found our trip to be rather pleasant. The resort is well kept but you can tell its a bit older. The rooms are nothing to rave about but I did like the shower. Like some people said the beds do suck but I tried not to spend a lot of time in my room anyway.
The food I thought was good. All the complaining about the food.... It's all inclusive people. You aren't sitting down to a five star meal at a buffet. The buffet by the beach cove for lunch was our favorite. The restaurants were good nothing to rave about we booked ours as soon as we got there and had no issues.
I was quite freaked out about the crazy bugs people were talking about. I put bug spray on and I was fine. The nights I didn't I got one bite maybe nothing crazy.
The staff was probably the worst thing not to friendly when you call down they have no clue what you are saying. Not that I expect them to speak English but maybe a person answering the phone would be nice being that 80% of the people seemed to speak English. We had issues with our room so it made it that much more frustrating when you are just trying to check in. We tipped the bartenders good and they loved us after we didn't tip as big they got pissy which was annoying. You have to ask for the better Boos or they give you crap.
So to sum it up would I go back? Probably not unless I got a crazy deal (we payed like nothing to go this time so it would have to be better then that. Lol) I think the rating is good for me because the location. You get the beach and jungle and well it's gorgeous. I'm usually a disney type of vacation person and it's nothing like that.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Trenton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon to occidental xcaret. We had the unlimited xcaret package and had a great stay. We flew with westjet which was good, but not great. I guess west jet doesn't provide any food for the flight to cancun, which was weird for me because I thought food was provided for any international flight. All you will receive is a drink and cookies or pretzels, so make sure you eat before boarding the the plane. Also my husband and I had trouble getting seats together, even when we tried to check in online 24 hrs before you fly there wasn't an option to sit together, once we got there they could put us in the seats with the emergency exit, but those don't recline. Once we arrived in Mexico however we were picked up by a small bus which only took one other couple so we didn't have to stop at every hotel dropping people off, that was great because it saved a lot of time traveling to the hotel.

Once we arrived we checked in went up to our room which was great, and hit the buffet for dinner. It was easy and seamless. After dinner we made our dinner reservations for the a la carte, the Mexican restaurant was our favorite, but none of them knocked our socks off. I do recommend making your dinner reservations for alittle later in the evening. We made ours for 6:30 and that was to early, the shows don't start till after 9 so you end up with a lot of time to kill and it gets quite boring.

The pools are great, the quite pool has a great bar, with swings for seats and hammocks to laze around in. The beach is very busy and hard to get a seat at. It is a small lagoon which is nice for young kids, and your able to do alittle snorkeling right there, but your not going to get waves crashing on the shore here. My husband and I ended up taking a taxi to playa del Carmen twice, once to go shopping which was fun, and then the next day to swim and play in the waves and it was awesome. The cab fare is only 11 USD. If your eating lunch on 5th ave, be careful and check what the US conversion rate is, we ended up getting really screwed by the restaurant we went to.

All in all the resort is great. My only complaint would be about the food, the buffet was really repetitive, the a la cartes were ok, nothing spectacular, and the desserts SUCK! I think I only had one dessert and didn't even finish it. We met a lot of others who all said the same thing.

I have traveled to all inclusives before and the resort staff here are amazing, the grounds are clean, the rooms are very well maintained, and there is always something to find to do here. I don't know if I would come back, I think I would rather try other resorts before coming back to this one. However both my husband and I thouroughly enjoyed our stay.

Oh and if the bed is too hard you can ask for an extra mattress topper to make it alittle more comfortable.

Room Tip: We were in building 18, close to the main pool, but not loud at all. No elevators except for in the...
Belize
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We loved this resort and its natural settings. The food was great compared to the other all inclusive place we visited. Love that they have shallow areas in the pool for my 2 year old to enjoy. She loved it so much that we would have to turn her face away when we approached any pool so that she didnt ask to go swimming 4, 5 times a day.
The staff were generally friendly but we didnt like the constant pressure from the sales persons trying to sell their vacation club.
We enjoyed the park next door and the daily children's night show that our 2 year old looked forward to.
We will be back again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Grand Xcaret. Staff were friendly and rooms and food were of a very good standard. The grounds, swimming pools, beach and restaurants were all beautifully maintained. We bought, and thoroughly enjoyed, the unlimited Xcaret Park experience through our travel agent before we left which we would definitely recommend as it is extremely expensive on site. A little canal boat or a gate adjacent to the private beach leads you into the park where there are a great many things to do. Tourists will travel many miles to go to this park so a great added bonus for the hotel. Being able to walk in and out as we pleased enhanced our holiday tremendously. Only negative for us was the check-in which took nearly 30 minutes. On the plus side for us though, as the hotel was overbooked for one of our week ends, they offered us an opportunity to go to Cozumel for a two night stay in another Occidental hotel. Great experience and all travel included.

Midlothian, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I wanted to return to the Grand Xcaret because of the beach inlet. I would return again to use it, but not to stay at the hotel. The staff at every location, even the shuttle to the beach stand, are all constantly pushing to sell sell sell their vacation club regardless how many times you tell them that you had already gone thru it on your prior visit and that it is the LAST thing you would do. The food is totally unremarkable, buffet or specialty restraunts, The drinks are generally 1/3rd strength. The standard wine was okay. The room this time was better as it was clean, but the AC was either blizzard, or off in which case everything in the room became wet. It is a nice place to go to once to enjoy the beach(great to snorkel in the cove) and the Xcaret Park. It is not a place to go back to a second time.

Room Tip: building 19 is convenient to everything and the Fun Pool is right out the front door.
St. Andrews, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

The resort was lovely. Staff very friendly. Everywhere you went you would get an "Olah" The Steak & Grill a la carte was the best thing ever! The seafood one was a close second. You have unlimited a la carte reservations during the week which is really nice as the buffet tends to serve almost the same thing every night.
The rooms were very spacious, depending where in the resort your room was located sometime your room wouldn't be cleaned till 4pm. The entire resort is VERY spread out, be prepared for lots of walking... if you forget something behind in your room, you never want to go back for it.
The wifi in the rooms for the week is $80 (little disappointed there) or you could pay $5 for 30 minutes on the computers across from the registration desk.
Be aware of the Time Shares. When you check in someone will come and great you and start telling you about the resort and showing you around... that's them so be prepared, once they take you to your room they spring on you the timeshare bit. (you can always say you'll book the timeshare presentation like we did and just not show up)
There is practically no beach at this resort, just a little cove, that is always packed and quite a far walk away from most of the rooms. This resort is Jungle Themed so that means it is hot, all the time! There is barely no Breeze and when it rains it is very humid!
There are plenty of pools and pool chairs, get to the pool before noon and you shouldn't have a problem getting a spot. (at least at this time of year)
The Mango Margaritas are excellent! Most of the drinks are.
If you are flying with WESTJET VACATIONS they will give you a coupon for free jewellery from a jewellery factory and when you ask the reps about it it's actually a free tour to Playa del Carmen, take my advice and don't do this tour... the $70 deal is crap jewellery and you end up going on the worst tour of your life. You are told that you will be going to a silver jewellery factory and will be shown how everything is made... nope you are put into a room and they pressure you to buy VERY over priced jewellery and are never shown anything else. Then you are suppose to go to a coffee factory and see how coffee is made, etc. Here you are given a little taste of "Mexican coffee" and sent on your way. After that you were taken for a "cooking lesson where you would be the hit at your next party" and were sat down at a restaurant some guy shows you how guacamole is made, they give you one chip to try it and then he makes you a little glass of margarita and they send you on your way. Then you have free time to spend walking 5th Ave. of Play del Carmen, which was very over priced for souvenirs and were still harped at by time share salesmen. (this was the worst part of our trip)
We also did the Coba excursion the Tulum & Akumal and Chichen Itza. Those 3 were amazing and I would strongly recommend anyone of them to anyone! Coba is the last Mayan temple you can still walk up and then you get to go zip lining and rappelling and swimming in the Cenotes. Tulum & Akumal you get to check out the mayan ruins at Tulum and then go snorkelling at Akumal (where we saw lots of sea turtles and sting rays). Chichen Itza is a long day of going to the ruins, be prepared to spend a good 13 hours on this excursion. We booked our excursions with Best Day Travel, they were awesome... very informative.

Room Tip: Rooms 12371 to about 12351 are all views of the tennis court. Make sure if you are a couple to reque...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club? Share your experiences!