All in all I can agree with most of the reviews I read here, however there are some things I'd like to add: Yes, the front desk is certainly this resorts weakness. The staff seemed trained to give you a blank, emotionless expression when you are unsatisfied. We were not greeted.
We were not welcomed. We stood at the counter alone for a few minutes before being acknowledged by the four staff members acting too busy.
Asking for a manager is a must but not a guaranteed fixall. Bring tip money. Even though they say it is not necessary it certainly helps. The staff that actually works for you, maids, bartenders, servers, etc...
count on it and they'll go out of their way to make it a better trip for you. Don't count on getting US dollars from this hotel either. They only exchange in Pesos which is not what the staff wants in tips. Also, they only have large denominations which didn't help me. I ran out of small bills for tipping and nobody will break a large bill unless you buy something. Don't count on regular shuttle service either. We debated on bringing the stroller, decided against it. I ended up carrying our small children quite a bit which isn't fun when you are pooped out at the end of the day. Anyone who says this resort is immaculate hasn't stayed at Iberostar. It isn't dirty here but certainly doesn't compare. Don't take this review as a total negative because it isn't intended as such, just pointing out some items that may make your experience a little more pleasant if you know what to expect. I can recommend it, however compared to other vacation destinations I will not return. Hope this helps!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked within an ecological and historical preserve, the all-inclusive Occidental Grand Xcaret captivates guests with spectacular grounds, a pristine coastline and unparalleled service and amenities. Located less than an hour south of Cancun International Airport and ten minutes from renowned Playa del Carmen, this glorious resort boasts winding river channels, free-form pools and a private beach with powder-soft white sand on a quiet cove. The Occidental Grand Xcaret features eleven international restaurants and ten bars to fit every mood and occasion, from a romantic dinner to a lively family meal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret