This resort is very family friendly and great for couples. The resort was clean, lots of food and premium drinks served throughout the resort. Several stores are located within the resort if you're looking for clothing, unique Pandora charms in one of the jewelry stores, cigars and souvenirs.
Excursions can be booked in the lobby of the resort or with your rep. We booked a Coba Expedition thru our West Jet rep who deals with a company named 'Best Buy'. The cost was $129.00 per person and included, pickup/dropoff at the resort, climb the temple in Coba, climb into a water hole in the jungle to see the cenotes, zipline, kayak, lunch at a restaurant and shop for crafts. I would not book thru Best Buy again due to our experience. Tip: if you go on this particular excursion I suggest you do not bring young children because the steps up the Coba temple can be difficult to climb, the zipling is unsafe and you have to be very strong to climb in and out of the hole in the ground. Most tourists booked their excursions in the lobby of the resort and had very positive experiences.
Food: Two buffet restaurants, one snack area (that we could find) and several a la carte restaurants. We ate at the:
Oriental restaurant - try the tempura shrimp as an appetizer, very tasty. I had the spicy chicken for dinner and it was also very good.
Mediterranean - we ordered the cheese and vegetable stuffed ravioli, it was ok, nothing special.
Steak Restaurant - we ordered Beef Tenderloin, this was cooked perfectly and had great flavor. In our experience the steak was as good or better then The Keg restaurant in Canada.
Mexican Restaurant - the food was ok, nothing special.
There are shows every night in the theatre starting with a kids show followed by an adult/family show at 9:30pm.
The beach area is very crowded but has a beach bar and excellent snorkelling. Tip: if you do not have children find your way to the beach then go thru the beach buffet restaurant and you will find an Adults Only section with a swimming area and loungers. You can snorkel in this section of the ocean if you have water shoes or flippers. People who snorkelled in this area said they saw octopus, sting rays and large fish.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked within an ecological and historical preserve, the all-inclusive Occidental Grand Xcaret captivates guests with spectacular grounds, a pristine coastline and unparalleled service and amenities. Located less than an hour south of Cancun International Airport and ten minutes from renowned Playa del Carmen, this glorious resort boasts winding river channels, free-form pools and a private beach with powder-soft white sand on a quiet cove. The Occidental Grand Xcaret features eleven international restaurants and ten bars to fit every mood and occasion, from a romantic dinner to a lively family meal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Xcaret Hotel
- Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Grand Flamenco Xcaret
- Xcaret Grand Occidental
- Occidental Xcaret
- Hotel Xcaret
- Xcaret Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Xcaret Occidental
- Xcaret Hotel
- Grand Occidental Xcaret