“Nice relaxing holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club

You added Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km. 282, #307 | Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #83 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Nice relaxing holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This resort is very family friendly and great for couples. The resort was clean, lots of food and premium drinks served throughout the resort. Several stores are located within the resort if you're looking for clothing, unique Pandora charms in one of the jewelry stores, cigars and souvenirs.

Excursions can be booked in the lobby of the resort or with your rep. We booked a Coba Expedition thru our West Jet rep who deals with a company named 'Best Buy'. The cost was $129.00 per person and included, pickup/dropoff at the resort, climb the temple in Coba, climb into a water hole in the jungle to see the cenotes, zipline, kayak, lunch at a restaurant and shop for crafts. I would not book thru Best Buy again due to our experience. Tip: if you go on this particular excursion I suggest you do not bring young children because the steps up the Coba temple can be difficult to climb, the zipling is unsafe and you have to be very strong to climb in and out of the hole in the ground. Most tourists booked their excursions in the lobby of the resort and had very positive experiences.

Food: Two buffet restaurants, one snack area (that we could find) and several a la carte restaurants. We ate at the:
Oriental restaurant - try the tempura shrimp as an appetizer, very tasty. I had the spicy chicken for dinner and it was also very good.
Mediterranean - we ordered the cheese and vegetable stuffed ravioli, it was ok, nothing special.
Steak Restaurant - we ordered Beef Tenderloin, this was cooked perfectly and had great flavor. In our experience the steak was as good or better then The Keg restaurant in Canada.
Mexican Restaurant - the food was ok, nothing special.

There are shows every night in the theatre starting with a kids show followed by an adult/family show at 9:30pm.

The beach area is very crowded but has a beach bar and excellent snorkelling. Tip: if you do not have children find your way to the beach then go thru the beach buffet restaurant and you will find an Adults Only section with a swimming area and loungers. You can snorkel in this section of the ocean if you have water shoes or flippers. People who snorkelled in this area said they saw octopus, sting rays and large fish.

Room Tip: Our room was located in section 22 which was quiet and half way between the beach and the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,795)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I visited this resort in January 2013 and had been upgraded to the Royal Club. The overall experience was much smoother with the upgrade, since you have a seperate check in, the time share salespeople leave you alone, you have access to facilities others at the resort do not, you get priority reservations, etc. The suite was spacious, the service was impecable, the resort was clean and pleasant, and overall, the staff was very attentive. I travelled with a family member.

Room Tip: If you want things to be smooth, upgrade to the Royal Club. It's worth the expense.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
kitchener, on
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

After spending a week here I could spend as much time critiquing the reviewers on Trip Advisor as the resort itself. Trip Advisor is a great tool for picking a destination but I also find that it opens the door for some pretty warped perspectives. Some of the negative reviews for Occidental are based on ignorance, lack of research and unrealistic expectations. If you don't research your destination then it would seem that you are the problem...not the resort offering. Also, you can't be surprised when this $1100 resort does not match up to the $2500 resort that you visited last year. Recent reviews here complain about a small beach, time share people, bland food.....one even complained that the Eco park next door cost extra and they had to walk back to the hotel to eat/drink...said that was discracefull?!? Seriously? an external service cost extra and you had to walk 4 min. back to your hotel to eat and drink as much as you wanted? Uhhgggg.
I try to keep the yearly trips to approx. $1200-1400 per person. I find 5-10 packages that meet this range and then use TA to find the resort with the best overall satisfaction rate. For the end of Jan 2013 we paid $1150 CAD each taxes/transfers included (from Toronto,ON).
Rooms: average, nothing really amazing but very clean and completely adequate. Flat screen TV. Beds not as comfortable as home but fine. Shower was great with great water pressure. Mini fridge in the room stocked daily....if you want more beer/water etc just give the cleaning staff a couple of dollars and they will hook you up with what you want....stocked up on beer many times without problem. Balcony for coffee in the am. Coffee maker included but we brought our own instant/coffee mate because we like it stronger. Also may want to bring your own shampoo/body wash....included here but not the greatest. No conditioner supplied....knew this because I did research :-)
Grounds: Outstanding. Beautifully kept, great jungle paths to explore. Lots of wildlife. Resort is spread out so lots of walking....I am not a health nut but the walking was a highlight because the pathways are so cool.
Beach: exactly what we expected. Smaller than other resorts but really nice cove setting and great for casual/calm snorkeling etc without the normal waves typical for Riviera locations. Excellent open ocean snorkelling just to the right of the adult pool area. If you are looking for a stretch of beach that you can walk along just go to the ocean on the Royal Club side and turn left....walk for 5 min and the rocky shore line turns into a beautiful stretch of beach more similar to Playa Del Carmen.....fine light sand and blue water....really nice and completely private.
Food: If you live to eat then I don't imagine that you will ever like an AI resort buffet at this price range. If you eat to live then no problem. This place was better than average, had a huge variety and there was never a problem finding many good choices....all in all really good. Taco Salad at Paco's Tacos for late night snack was excellent. Good wings at the snack bar above the swim up bar during the day as well. Food never an issue...always more than enough!
Booze: Excellent. Most of the top brands that I am used to in Canadian stores. CC, Crown Royal, Skye, JB, Smirnoff, Bombay....etc etc. Even had Grey Goose for Martini night in the lobby. If you don't specify the bartenders will sometimes use their local cheap booze but all
brands are displayed and there for the asking. Read a lot about watered down drinks but nonsense! They will make it as strong as you wish....just ask.
Time Share: like many of these resorts they push time share. So what! We expected it. We didn't want to waste 2-4hrs of beach time. We said no. They said have a good day and we went and ate some more, drank some more and relaxed. No problem.
Overall we had an excellent time here. Again, all about perspective. We don't care so much about fresh flowers in the room, butlers or wether or not there is a 1cm tile missing from the bottom of the pool. Based on the price the resort is excellent and I would recommend this place to any friends/family. Even at a couple hundred bucks more per person I would say the same thing and will likely be back in the future. Feel free to email me with questions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

It is due time I wrote this review. We are a couple in our 30's/40's who traveled with our two kids aged 18 and 10. We were traveling during reading week to accommodate schedules and were aware, prior to booking, that we would be paying a premium during that time. We travel to Mexico 2-3 times per year, always staying at 5 star, adults only resorts. Given this was our first trip with the children, and the costs associated, we took a gamble on a very good offer from Expedia and booked occidental. We could not have been more pleased with the value in this resort.
The grounds are huge - and we had to laugh when on day 3 we discovered the 15 min walk to the beach was actually only 2 mins when we took the proper pathway! We are all in good shape, and never once minded walking. The grounds are so natural and beautiful, it was well worth it. If you have mobility issues, this may not bea goodresort for you. The lobby and shops are also quite the sight with the river running through the centre. Very unique in comparison to other resorts we have stayed at. We saw a lot of natural wildlife on our trip, and thoroughly enjoyed that. Every other evening they would set up a special event in the lobby like martinis, or tequila tasting, which was a lot of fun.
Now the beach. We knew what we were getting into (cove, man made etc) and we ended up actually enjoying it more than the classic beach front. The kids were comfortable swimming in it, and the snorkeling was nice to have right there. We did have to get up early to get some chairs, but we don't mind that. There is a great bar there, and waiter service as well. They play some fun music for most of the day - and also have food stations set up on occasion. There are some great activities here as well, including a water balloon fight one afternoon which we still laugh about.
Our room was just fine for what we expected. It was clean, the bed was comfortable and the shower was outstanding. No, we did not have room service, or a living room, or a jacuzzi tub, but again, given the cost we paid and the star rating of the resort, I knew this was not going to be the case. We had two rooms booked on the same floor, just as we had requested when booking. We did enjoy it though. We were right next to the quiet pool, and not too far from the beach and lobby.
The food was edible, good even. The buffet had so many choices, it was impossible not to find something to eat. One thing that did surprise me was the lack of Mexican dishes. I like them, but it seemed this resort was trying to offer more western style food. None of the a la cartes were very good - but I did like to have a sit down meal, and the food was edible. The coffee was horrible, unless you paid for the lattes or cappuccinos in the lobby during the evening. Kind of silly they charge for these. We brought Starbucks via's with us just in case, and we're happy we did.
The service was very good in all areas. They are friendly, efficient and hard working. We always tip for service, anyone who waits on you hand and foot deserves this, and it infuriates me when you see people not doing so. The activity team was full of energy, exactly what you need in a team who is there to help the guests enjoy themselves. We participated in a handful of activities and always felt included. On the day we were set to fly out our flight was unexpectedly cancelled - the resort quickly got us a new room for the evening and moved our luggage for us. It was handled very well.
Our trip included passes To the xcaret park, and we were pleasantly surprised. It was amazing. We were a short walk away and made sure we went back to see the nighttime show. We had a great day, and saw some pretty incredible things.

All in all, the value of this resort is outstanding. It is great for families, and we would recommend to our friends.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Although the resort was huge and well laid out with lots of greenery and shade, it was the staff that made the trip extra special. Jenifer and Lourdes at the Royal Club reception were cheerful and helpful at all times. In the Dining Room Jesus and Javier, Oberlin, Fransisco and Manuel made us feel welcome with cheerful "Holas" and big smiles. They also helped gap the language barrier by telling us the spanish words for our orders, it gave us the confidence to try when normally we may have relied on their grasp of english to get by. Although by the end of the week, the limited menu was getting a little old for me, every meal that we ate was well prepared and nicely presented. Towards the end of the week, we began trying the A La Carte restaurants for some variety and found them to be wonderful.

Xcaret Eco Park next door, gave a large variety of activities, so there was really no need to leave the property to have fun although we did sign up to go snorkelling on the reef with the Barrakuda Dive Crew. It was a blast. Adolfo was wonderful and gently guided us along pointing out Manta Rays and Eels and a huge Sea Turtle.

The beach was rather small for the overall size of the resort simply because the rest of the shoreline was extremely rocky and there was a dropoff offshore.

The only other complaint that we had was the lack of free wifi in the public areas, we were very surprised to learn that the ONLY internet that was free to the guests was in the form of one older computer in the Royal Club Reception or a few computers in the Hospitality Desk. It made it much less convenient to keep in touch with family and friends. You could BUY internet access but the price was rather high at $11 US per day or $82 for the week.

Overall, we would happily go back again.

Room Tip: If you like the nightlife and being in the thick of it all, you might want to check out the First Cl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Relaxing holiday was what I was after & I wasnt disappointed.
50 min transfer from airport. met with a lovely greeting & escorted to reception to check-in & was offered a much needed fruit drink.
Yes, the hotel complex is large, but you are given a map.
The grounds are lovely & the buildings pretty.
My room was clean & the fridge had soft drinks & beer. I would describe the decor as rustic. Not luxurious but sufficient.
I had a problem with my balcony light & when reported it was sorted very quickly (quicker than the room being serviced!)
Buffet was had plenty of choice & I never went hungry! Lunch food seemed a little better than evening . I feel some of the hot food should/ could have been hotter, but I had no tummy problems.
Also as a single person, I wish they had seated me a little closer to the buffet :) & drinks service was a little hit & miss but ALL the staff were very friendly & helpful.
The speciality restaurants made a nice change & I particularly liked the Steakhouse.
I had my breakfasts at The Beach Club as it seemed less hectic & was a nice walk to & from through the grounds.
The grounds are lovely complete with Mayan ruins & there is plenty of pool areas & loungers & activities if you want. Drinks service round the pools was abit lacking but youre never far from a bar to get your own! :)
I chose this hotel as it was close to XCARET, so when I was bored I had something else to do.
$119 USD for multi day pass plently of shows, ruins, animals etc & a great gift shop!!!
only a short walk & plenty to see for at least a couple of days.

I had a very relaxing 10 n stay on my own . yes there could be a few improvements, but I was not disappointed.
ps Cancun airport...has more shops & restaurants upstairs & is less crowded.
any questions please ask :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Brandon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Booked this all inclusive through west jet vacations - paid for an upgraded room and never got it. In fact they were so over booked that they begged us to stay in another resort, failing us moving they downgraded our room with none of our paid for amenities. Westjet promised to fix it when we got home after investigating, promised a call by Friday Feb 1 then again for Monday Feb 4, It's now Tuesday Feb 5 and nothing. Thanks a bunch westjet.

This time share hole has sales guys begging you to listen to their sales pitch to get a tiny discount on the Xcaret park just minutes away. We didn't even go to the park, everyone there said it was too boring. Spend your money on other excursions.

The food was horrible, even the ala cartes were soooo bad!! The seafood and Italian restaurants the worst. The steak house was understaffed and offered cold food not cooked as ordered. The buffet was pretty bad. I lived on rice, salsa and buns most days.

Expect swill or watered down drinks unless you ask for a brand instead of just "vodka 7", request "Smirnoff and 7" - or literally get moonshine and 7 up.

The man made inlet beach is pretty good, fun to snorkel in, lively with music usually. The pools were ok, but the chairs were gross and there was never any available.

Hotel was a mix of young and old guests. The grounds were well maintained and there were lots of iguanas.

Rained three days, nobody's fault - however expect to be bored out of your mind!! The sports bar doesn't even open until 6pm and they even closed the buffet unanounced during the rain. Your other options included over priced boutique shopping, Jenga in the main lobby or a drink in the crowded lobby bar.

The hotel was clean however, and the staff all helpful and pleasent. Minus a few grumpy bartenders. No complaints re staff except the guest services for not fixing our room to what we actually paid for.

As for 4.5 star, I don't think so. Maybe 3.5 stars for this outdated hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Kelly P,
I’m glad you enjoyed the hotel grounds and the friendly service of our staff. However I’m disappointed to hear about the inconveniences you encountered. I apologize for the issues with your room at check-in. Please know that during the time of your visit our hotel was overbooked because it was peak season. In this situation we do our best to accommodate guests by making them reservations at another property that is similar to ours. I am truly sorry for not accommodating your full request.
I also apologize for your negative experience with the WestJet representative. WestJet is a separate company from the hotel. However, I have shared your comments with their manager who is looking into ways to prevent your situation from happening again.
Please accept our apologies for falling so short of your culinary expectations. Our team strives to offer a variety of choices at our buffet and five gourmet restaurants. At the buffets this includes an array of fresh fruits, gourmet salads and many food stations such as carving table and omelet station. At our gourmet restaurants, the Executive Chef plans a menu of fresh, made-to-order options and we usually receive great feedback. The staff at these restaurants is trained to offer personalized service, which includes serving food fresh out of the oven. I am sorry to hear that this was not your experience. I have discussed your feedback with our manager who is looking into ways to improve the dining experience. I also want to reassure you that all the alcohol served in the resort is certified and we constantly have inspections that verify the quality and service we offer. Our cocktails are not watered down and our staff is well trained for the preparation of beverages. I have shared your review with food and beverage manager who is speaking with the bartenders about customizing drinks for guests.
I’m sorry to hear about the inconveniences you encountered with the pool chairs. Please know that we have set up a new policy to free up chairs that have been unattended for more than 20 minutes. Our team monitors the chairs and does their best to assist all guests that are in need of a chair. Also our team cleans the pool and chairs daily. I have met with the housekeeping staff to ensure they are properly maintaining the pool chairs.
I have as well shared your comment about our entertainment activities with our Fun Club Manager, and I assure you that we will look into ways to implement more activities and open other recreation areas for our guests when the weather is rainy.
I sincerely hope you will visit us again so that we may have another opportunity to show you an incredible time.

Been to Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club? Share your experiences!