“Occidental First Club Member” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club

You added Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club to your Saves list
Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km. 282, #307 | Solidaridad, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #92 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Toms River NJ
“Occidental First Club Member”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Vacation on 7-21-12 to 8-2-12 with my daughter,this was the first time in Xcaret. The First Club is beautiful right in front of the pool plus you also have a pool for members only. The staff is always there for you. I would like to say thanks
very much to Marycarmen,Eva,Charlie,Tomas, Caesar and Tina who was the best of the best she made sure my daughter and I had every thing we needed for our stay. The room was decorated for my daughter's birthday she loved it. The food at the hotel was excellent in all the restaurants. The hotel is in the jungle and walking distance to Xcaret Park. I would recommend this resort to all my friends and family. I will return to this resort myself. Thank all of you very much.
Barbara M

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise and better views but you must walk up to the third floor. I take the t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,551)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My daughter and I just returned on Saturday. We stayed at this hotel for a week and had a wonderful experience. I had read some of the reviews before we left and now I wonder if the people with the negative comments went to the same place or if they have higher standards than I do. The resort is beautiful and the staff is very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the buffet several times, I loved the fresh papaya and pineapple and the food is plentiful and very good for a buffet. We also went to La Hacienda and El Pescador twice. La Hacienda has traditional food and it was delicious. El Pescador has a beautiful view and the food is excellent, one of the best restaurant meals I've ever eaten. I would recommend that you have your breakfast and lunch at the beachfront buffet, located in the same area as El Pescador, the view is awesome. The bars are plentiful and the drinks flow freely (ask for extra alcohol if that's what you want). We did the time share presentation and it was interesting and did not take overly long, wish I could afford it! I do have a negative comment and it is not with the hotel, but with Lomas Travel Agency. This agency did not contact us after we booked our reservations and paid for the transport to the hotel and so we did not know what company to look for to provide our transportation from the airport to the hotel. We had to run around for over 15 minutes before we finally found our transportation. The company rep then had a rude attitude with us because we did not book our excursions with them, Luis said that was we were expected to do. I informed him of the problem with his company and why we used another to book our trips (we used the Explore Agency in the hotel and we were very pleased). We went to Chichen-Itza, Tulum and Xel-Ha and Xcaret Park. A trip to Playa del Carmen is also recommended. We went to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday and we both thoroughly enjoyed our vacation, we have many wonderful memories. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to return to this area again and I would definitely choose Occidental Xcaret.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Excellent service and beauty views. I was so relaxed in this environment. It was just what I needed. Furthermore, there was an excellent tour of Chichen Itza that the hotel turned us on to. I was very pleased with the food and ready access to drinks. The swim up bar was awesome. You should stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have just returned from my 5 day, 4 night vacation for Occidental Grand Xcaret. My 9 year old daughter and I had an awesome time. Ok where to start....

Resort- It was OK. The grounds were awesome, well maintained, and lush. I can tell the resort was old and could stand a few upgrades. However, the rooms were average. The beds were so hard but I was still able to sleep through the not without tossing and turning.

Food- The food from the buffets were OK. You are able to find something to eat but it is the same thing every day. The specialty restaurant we ate at was the Seafood Restaurant and it was "Superb"! Everything we order was delicious!(shrimp cocktail, shrimp tostados, garlic shrimp, & curry salmon) If you like seafood then you would love the food there. We were suppose to eat at the Steak House but we had to cancel because we would not be back from Xcaret Park in time for our reservation. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE YOUR RESERVATION FOR THE SPECIALTY RESTUARANTS AS SOON AS YOU GET IN. SPOTS FILL UP FAST.

Pools/Beach/Lagoon- There were several pools there but my daughter mainly wanted to go to the fun club pool, where they played music and had games and activities going on. We also went to the beach/lagoon. It was beautiful and had such a tropical feel. It is manmade but that was fine with me. We had a blast there. There were many tropical fish there so it was really cool to snorkel there. If you don't have snorkel equipment, the resort has some you can get but you have to get it early because the only have a limited amount. Also, after reading reviews, I followed previous travelers advise and woke up @ 6:30am and went reserved a cabana by putting my towels and a magazine out. (do the same with the pool chairs as well) There is only 10 cabanas so get there early. I spoke to someone there and they said all the cabanas were taken by the time they got there at 7:30am.

Activities- The activities were just ok. Mexican night was cool because my daughter got to ride the mechanical bull and she and I thought that was very fun. We went to Xcaret Park, which is like a 10-15 minute walk from the resort. We had a blast there. You need to 2 days to fully enjoy what the park has to offer. We did the sea trek which was very cool. I was a little scared though for my 9 year old daughter because the helmets are heavy, but we got through it. We did the underground river too, which was awesome as well. I suggest you do the dark river because you can see more fish than the light river. We also snorkel in the beach and that was very funny. We also took a cab ride to Playa de Carmen- 5th Ave. It was really cool to walk around and shop for souvenirs. But the beaches there were the BEST I have ever seen in my LIFE. I thought Bahamas beaches were beautiful, but they don't have nothing on Playa de Carmen.

Overall- I make the best out my vacation where ever I go. I really don't let much get to me. If I could do it all over again I would definitely book the Royal Club. You get more attention, more perks, and better food options. I would also stay longer so I could do 2 days at Xcaret Park and do a day at Playa de Carmen beach.

Suggestion: I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you get pictures taken and purchase them by the photographers at the resort. The pictures are professional and excellent quality.
I spoke with one of them and he told me that they work by commission only. If people don't purchase the pictures, they don't get paid. Also, DO NOT make calls to the US on the phones from the room. It is $6.00 a minute. Found out after the fact that there is a machine near the lobby desk that you can by a phone card. (SMH)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My family and I recently returned from two weeks at the Occidental Grand Xcaret Resort. We found that the location in the jungle was very beautiful and it was nice to see the monkeys swinging in the trees. The food and service in all of the specialty restaurants was excellent. The beach was very nice with all the fish, our only disappointment being that it was so small and you couldn't walk down the beach (although this was expected after reading other reviews). We found the staff of the sports and entertainment team to be incredibly friendly and energetic. They all tried to get you involved and make your vacation as fun as it could be, especially; Eduardo, Jorge, Abril, Thommas, Charlie, and Rodrigo. They all made an effort to learn your names and encouraged you to get involved in all of their activities. The pools were warm like a bath tub and there were plenty of chairs if you got there early enough to save them. We enjoyed the Circus, Fire and Drums and the Michael Jackson show, although the theatre area was incredibly hot and muggy. We were not hassled as much by time share people as we had heard, all you had to do was say no and they left you alone. We would recommend this resort to families and are thinking about coming back again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My family (four of us) stayed at this hotel for two weeks and throughly enjoyed our time there. There were some teething problems at the beginning of the stay with one of the rooms, which should have been a twin for my son and his grandfather but after checking in we'd been allocated a double. That was changed within 24 hours and our room had a problem with the lock which had to be changed after maintenance men had to break-in three times when we'd been locked out.

However, we had stayed here before and were well aware of it's beautiful setting. We saw such a variety of wildlife, enjoyed both the pools and the small beach cove, had good food at the buffet restaurant and some of the a la carte restaurants. The staff were a mixture of some who were amazingly helpful and seemed to enjoy their jobs to others who went through the motions - like everywhere else in the world.

The hotel is perfectly placed for a visit to Xcaret park - which is fantastic - and the recently built Xplor, adventure park, There are plenty of things to do at the hotel, which has everything from monkeys, deer and Iguana's to see and Mayan ruins within it's land. There are the usual facilities for kids with their own club and pool, an adult gym, tennis courts etc and much more.

The complex is as big as a Center Parcs, but there is a shuttle with stops at every part of the hotel.

The only thing which prevents this from being an excellent review was the problems we had with the rooms.

Room Tip: Block 22 is handy for several pools and closer for the beach, but further away from the main restaur...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed with my husband one week at this hotel. Everything is very nice, just don´t expect to get high quality food and drinks (wated added and no natural fruits)

I was also dissapointed by the fruit variety, canned fruit!!!

But most of all we were dissapointed by the lack of beach front. Just a tiny and overcrowded bay, so if you're going to Mexico planning to enjoy the beach, AVOID this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Occidental Grand Xcaret & Royal Club? Share your experiences!