This would be a four star hotel if not for a few minor areas .... check in is at 3:00, not a minute before. If you pack a small bag, tho, w/suits, etc., you can leave your luggage in a locked room, change in the banos, and hit the beach. When checking out (noon), and your flight is later, you are allowed to keep your towels, wrist bands, etc. and put your luggage in the same room and keep on using the facilities, which is nice.
Request a room in a villa near the walkways - the rooms on the perimeter are the rooms near the "creek" and have the sewer smell around them.
The food is okay; the restaurant near the pool always has hamburgers for lunch along w/hot dogs, some chicken and the like.
The breakfast buffet is great - why there are no spoons, tho, remains a mystery.
Rooms are as pictured - spacious, sunny, big patio/balcony. No in-room coffee. Grounds are very nice - well maintained and very pretty. Pool and hot tub are quite nice. Beach is pretty nice, too.
This resort is right next to a Secrets ... Secrets Capri, I think it is.
Not alot around - the walk along the beach (after Secrets) is mostly empty w/a couple of new resorts going in. Not near the Playacar area - cabs into town are $12 but there is also a shuttle bus for a few bucks per person and, in fact, a couple of them (certain times only) are free.
Overall, a very nice place. I was pleasantly surprised after having read some of the postings here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya
- Ocean Maya Royale Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico